PDA

View Full Version : Pork Shoulder times vs Brisket

GMDGeek
10-04-2013, 12:21 PM
I've cooked a ton of both and I seem to have my shoulders stall more often than my brisket. Reason I am posting is cause I am doing a church cook tomorrow, butt crack of dawn early and want to make sure I am not cutting it to close on time.

Last 4 times I've cooked brisket @275 I average between 6 and 7 hour cook time. I haven't cooked pork shoulders in a few months and I usually did those @250 for roughly 10 hours. Tomorrow though, I am going everything @275.

Cooking 2 brisket and 6 pork shoulder @275 I'd like to know if everyone's thoughts are on cook times. Will they finish about the same time?

I cook on a R&O pit (insulated firebox/stick burner) with Pecan for first 4 hours then switch to Oak for the remainder of the cook.

Thanks,
Gerry

Bludawg
10-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Figure an hr per lb+ 2 hr rest off the biggest chunk. I'd foil the butts after 4 hrs to be certain.

sliding_billy
10-04-2013, 12:35 PM
I think you were seeing the stall more before on the butts because of the 250 vs. 275. For this one, it might depend on the quality of the brisket. Butts in my experience are pretty consistent time-wise regardless of meat quality. Brisket not so much. I still think that putting them in at the same temp will help. Assuming you have some hot/cold spots in your stick burner, rotate the meat as needed and you will be fine.

GMDGeek
10-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Yups ... I wrap at 4 hours and change the wood ... Oak is easy to get and burns a bit longer than my pecan.

Brisket has been very consistent time wise for me on the last for cooks, around 6-7 hours on 12lbs. The shoulders are bone-in 8lbs... so I'll throw them on 2 hours or so before the brisket to be safe.

Will definitely bring the Pron tomorrow :)

Lake Dogs
10-04-2013, 12:54 PM
if it was 10 hrs before, it'll be about 9 now....