PDA

View Full Version : Yoder Durango

Firemanman
10-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Anyone use a yoder durango?

deguerre
10-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Can't afford one but I'd sure love to have one.

Ron_L
10-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but someone will chime in.

Here is a thread on the Yoder Wichita, which is similar...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171817

Bigdog
10-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Yes, great stick burner!

nucornhusker
10-03-2013, 07:33 PM
No, but I would love to. I've seen a couple in person and they are very impressive.

jeffturnerjr
10-03-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm a believer in Yoder now. Saving for their YS640 but will probably keep purchasing their products in the future:)

Firemanman
10-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes, great stick burner!
I just bought the durango and am playing around with it......havent figured it out completly. Any helpful hints that would help me out. It is my first stick burner. I hav been cooking on 2 uds for the last 3 year with great results but as I said I am new to the stick burner so any help would be great!

sliding_billy
10-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Did you get the 20" or the 24?" Are you using tuning plates (assuming the 20" since the 24" comes with)? What kind of temp differences are you getting between the horizontal and vertical at fully open dampers?

jlane
10-04-2013, 10:44 AM
I just bought the durango and am playing around with it......havent figured it out completly. Any helpful hints that would help me out. It is my first stick burner. I hav been cooking on 2 uds for the last 3 year with great results but as I said I am new to the stick burner so any help would be great!

I own that Wichita and like you I'm new to stick burners, I've only had the opportunity to use it twice, once to season it and the other time for the beef ribs. I'm still trying to learn the fire management on it. I think I'm going to try thinner splits and keep a smaller hotter fire. I think that will knock down on the thick smoke I'm getting when it's first added to the fire. Good luck with the Durango.

nucornhusker
10-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I own that Wichita and like you I'm new to stick burners, I've only had the opportunity to use it twice, once to season it and the other time for the beef ribs. I'm still trying to learn the fire management on it. I think I'm going to try thinner splits and keep a smaller hotter fire. I think that will knock down on the thick smoke I'm getting when it's first added to the fire. Good luck with the Durango.

That worked very well for me and my stickburner. As soon as I started using smaller splits (think about pop can diameter) the fire was much cleaner.

Also, make sure you warm your splits up before on the top of the firebox before the godin the fire so they start up instantly. Each time you add a split, but one on top of the firebox.

Firemanman
10-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Did you get the 20" or the 24?" Are you using tuning plates (assuming the 20" since the 24" comes with)? What kind of temp differences are you getting between the horizontal and vertical at fully open dampers?
I got the 20" the 24"was out of my reach $amount. Yes I did get the tuning plate but I did not notice it was at an angle twoards the vertical pinching off the heat till after my second cook. I did level it up and am cooking on it tomorrow. Hope this helps with the temps. On the first 2 cooks there was a 100 difference between the horz and the vert chambers. The owner of the store said it should be 50 to 75 difference

sliding_billy
10-05-2013, 05:23 AM
nucornhusker covered the big ones... Preheat your sticks and smaller splits. Also, learn the smoker one step at a time. Don't try to change more than one variable at a time. Learn each damper. Figure out the tuning plate placement. Measure different spots for temp. Be sure to let it get fully up to temp before loading with meat (and again, learn the cooker without loading it with a ton of meat 1st as that is going to change all of those temps as well). Are you using a charcoal base or just splits? How are you lighting your splits? Lots to experiment with, but sounds like you have thought of most of it.

Hoppy
10-05-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm new here and have a Durango being shipped on the 25th and look forward to any helpful tips that anyone may share.

Firemanman
10-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm new here and have a Durango being shipped on the 25th and look forward to any helpful tips that anyone may share.
Message me when you get it!

Hoppy
10-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Thank you Brother I sure will! I appreciate it!

Hoppy
11-20-2013, 07:50 PM
I've been using mine for the past 2 weeks and love it! Glad I Pulled the Trigger and Got One!

Bigdog
11-20-2013, 11:15 PM

As the husker said, if you pre-heat the splits then this shouldn't happen. I build the fire to one side of the firebox and then put the next split inside the firebox on the opposite side. It will then immediately ignite when you move it over to the hot side with virtually no smoke.