PDA

View Full Version : Brisket injection - how long of a wait?

rdstoll
10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
So doing another round of experimenting this weekend, this time with bone-in shoulder and brisket.

Want to inject the brisket but am wondering how long y'all wait to put the brisket on after injecting. A couple of hours? Does it help the flavor/tenderness to let it sit overnight?

Seems like I inject the shoulder the night before along with applying the rub, wrapping in plastic, etc but the last time I did a brisket I just seasoned it an hour before I threw it on the UDS.

Gonna be a busy weekend - ribs for Church Friday evening, then a shoulder & brisket for family and friends on Saturday!

HookedonSmoke
10-02-2013, 09:43 AM
I inject my brisket, add the rub and allow to sit for 8 hours in a cooler or fridge. The remove and allow to come to room temp before putting on the cooker.

Thermal Mass
10-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I rubbed, wrapped in plastic, injected and rested 4 hours, out to bring to room temp before going on the smoker.
Not saying right or wrong, just what I did here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172175

I was very happy with the results, but I don't compete neither did I get much (any criticism).

My .02 good luck and have fun!!

dano
10-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Depends on what's in the injection but I usually go for 6-8 hrs.

RobKC
10-02-2013, 10:18 AM
I wrap in plastic and inject 4-6 hrs before it goes in the smoker. About an hour before smoking, I unwrap and wipe off any injection that has leaked out. Then I apply the rub. I think I get a better bark texture that way.

rdstoll
10-03-2013, 03:54 PM
So when you guys inject I've seen people say to "go with the grain" - so does that mean laying the brisket flat on the counter and then sticking a long needle into the side "with the grain", pulling it out slowly as you inject the meat? I'm going to get a meat injector at Target tonight - I'm sure it's crap but oh well. And do this with ~1" separation between the injection points?

I'm just going to inject straight beef broth just for moisture effect.

Okie Sawbones
10-03-2013, 03:58 PM
You'll probably get a variety of replies, but I like to inject my brisket, place it in an aluminum pan, and let it sit overnight. I take it out the next morning, pat it dry, and apply my rub. I fire up the smoker, then slap it on the fire.