PDA

View Full Version : Lump vs. Charcoal

BerryPatchBBQ
10-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Which do you prefer and what brand? I have used all kinds. Just wandering how many different selections this will get.

mikeleonard81
10-01-2013, 09:53 PM
GFS lump in my stick burner just to get it going. Not a lot of junk in it. Burns HOT!

BrotherInArms
10-01-2013, 10:22 PM
cowboy lump coal

Smokin'Butts
10-01-2013, 10:38 PM
B&B Oak lump, good stuff and it keeps getting better!

nucornhusker
10-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Lump only. My favorite is The Good One, but I also like Kamado Joe, Big Green Egg, Royal Oak and Fire King.

c farmer
10-01-2013, 11:07 PM
I have both. Still trying to figure out which one is better.

Lump burns hotter and sears better.

Charcoal holds temp better and longer.

CBQ
10-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Both from Wicked Good - lump in the offset, briquettes in the backwoods

pwa
10-02-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm with CBQ I'm a wicked Good fan lump and briquettes both are fantastic!

mtbchip
10-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Lump VS Charcoal?

.... I thought lump IS charcoal....:shock:

OH... you mean those weird little "pillows" of unknown char material called bricks?

YUCK!

Don't mind me....... just move along.

RobKC
10-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Stubbs briquettes are all I use in my Superiors. They burn clean and produce little ash compared to K.

Cut-n-Que
10-02-2013, 07:35 AM
I like the Kingsford Competition.

Dex
10-02-2013, 07:45 AM
I like the Kingsford Competition.

+1 in my Backwoods

dwfisk
10-02-2013, 07:50 AM
I had settled into buying Stubbs brickettes or Cowboy Lump, but I've just started making my own lump and I'm very happy with it. Made 2 batches now & have about 80 pounds on hand, so I doubt if I'll be buying charcoal except as a backup.

ShencoSmoke
10-02-2013, 08:40 AM
cowboy lump coal

My local Walmart stopped selling royal oak lump so I tried cowboy lump and hated it. I couldn't get it to burn hot enough. Do you have that problem?

bigzthamoose
10-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I tried going with lump in my superior, bc of the whole idea that is burns cleaner, but, two for two, it got caught up in the chute, and didnt burn correct, causing a nasty smoke flare up, like when ya just start the coals. It sucked. Made my food have black crap, so i went back to Kingsford Competition Briquettes. In my gravity fed smoker, i say briquettes are best.

tonyb
10-02-2013, 10:50 AM
We switched from briquettes to lump about half way through the year and are happy with the results.

We get cleaner and longer cooks with the lump than we did with briquettes.

Right now we are using Royal Oak, mainly because it is easy to come by (Nature Glo and GFS are both just repackaged Royal Oak). We cooked a few times with Ozark Oak and loved it but it is much harder for us to get in Ohio.

Dex
10-02-2013, 11:29 AM
We switched from briquettes to lump about half way through the year and are happy with the results.

We get cleaner and longer cooks with the lump than we did with briquettes.

Right now we are using Royal Oak, mainly because it is easy to come by (Nature Glo and GFS are both just repackaged Royal Oak). We cooked a few times with Ozark Oak and loved it but it is much harder for us to get in Ohio.

Interesting... you get longer smokes out of lump over briquettes? I thought it was usually the other way around?

MarleyMan
10-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Interesting... you get longer smokes out of lump over briquettes? I thought it was usually the other way around?

Yeah, I scratched my head on this one too. I get longer more consistent burns with briquettes vs. lump.

I prefer briquettes in my WSM, but use lump because I get a 18lb bag for $9 at Rest. Depot.

When using briquettes though I prefer Stubbs, Kingsford Blue has too much ash production.

BB-Kuhn
10-02-2013, 12:33 PM
For grilling anything less than an hour cook time, I really like lump. Hot as heck and starts fast too.

For smoking, I like the constant steady burn of charcoal briquettes if I am not using a temp control unit (fan system). I like how predictable it burns.

If you're going on fan(s), lump is cleaner and often more efficient.

It doesn't really matter. Get used to whatever you like and you'll get good at it.

tonyb
10-02-2013, 05:12 PM

We were surprised with the result as well. We didn't expect that at all.

It is most noticeable in our big cooker (ABS Judge). We put in probably half as much (by weight, not volume) as we did when we used briquettes and get probably 20% longer cook time before we have to refill. The firebox on the Judge is pretty big and there is lots of air in the cooking chamber to feed the fire, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm not sure we have observed the same increase in our smaller cooker (ABS Bar-B-Cube, same general design as a WSM).

We control both smokers with a stoker.

BerryPatchBBQ
10-02-2013, 06:23 PM
We use lump as well. We put about 15lbs in the chute. We start it up around 2:30 for anything butt and and it usually makes it till around 12:30 the next day. So we have had great success with it. We get our lump from US Foods. I will say this... I do think our smoker has a lot to do with it lasting that long. Our Deep South Smoker is built like a tank a heavily insulated.

Diesel Dave
10-02-2013, 08:22 PM
My local Walmart stopped selling royal oak lump so I tried cowboy lump and hated it. I couldn't get it to burn hot enough. Do you have that problem?

I use cowboy, for now, going to make my own.
And yes I have had that problem a few times. I think it could be the inconsistency of the wood they use. But that's just my opinion.

Vision
10-02-2013, 08:35 PM
KBB for smoking, K Comp for grilling, and cowboy or wicked lump at times.

Charcoal_Addict
10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
As long you have a well insulated smoker quality lump will outlast and out perform briquettes.

DriverWild
10-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Anything but Cowboy and KBB. I bought 1/2 pallet of Cowboy once and pretty much gave it away. There were a lot of plastic cords in the bags, they didn't burn off during the char process so I was very unhappy with their product. KBB because I can't stand the smell of that stuff.

jeffturnerjr
10-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Kingsford Blue, Kingsford Mesquite, & B&B Oak Lump.

charrederhead
10-02-2013, 09:23 PM
I made the switch from KBB to lump this spring and am happy w/ the results. The MUCH smaller amount of ash alone is worth it, imo.

I have had good luck w/ the "new" Cowboy. Every bag I've used this year has been great. Good-sized pieces; nothing foreign.

The combo of the WSM and lump makes for very efficient, low-ash cooks. I can easily get a few cooks (ribs/picnic/brisket) out of one load of fuel.

I've also used Mali Gourmet Lump out of NY. It's good stuff, too.

BobM
10-02-2013, 10:28 PM
KBB in my WSMs and general grilling. It burns consistantly and I buy it when it's on sale in the big box stores.
Royal Oak lump when I want a serious sear on a good steak. Where I live it's a lot more expensive then KBB so I don't use that much of it.

plowin-fire
10-02-2013, 10:35 PM
I buy wicked good lump by the pallet. Would like to try their briquettes some time. I think they would fit better in my humphreys cubed beast.

Fwismoker
10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Oh i think they both have their purpose and pluses and minuses. I'll keep them both in the bbq arsenal.

JazzyBadger
10-02-2013, 11:18 PM
I mostly use briquettes since I just wait for the holiday seasons for the Kingsford blue and just buy a whoooole freaking lot of it. I've used Royal Oak lump before in the past, and have little complaints. When I get my Keg I'll be more involved in the world of Lump. Of course within the next few (5-eight) years our family plan will be complete, and we'll be on enough land where I can just start making my own damn lump. I'm really, REALLY looking forward to that for some reason.

ChickenWang
10-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Only Stubbs for me.. I Like the way it cooks and smells

bananablack
10-03-2013, 12:26 AM
It don't matter to me whether its lump or not. I only use it to get my wood stared

wayne_sw
10-03-2013, 12:40 AM
I only use the Lazzari mesquite lump. I've tried the blue bag and we just don't like the funky taste. Plus I'm cheap and so far no one can beat Cash & Carry's price, $13.99/40lbs and sometimes they have it on sale for $11.99.

I cooked this weekend with my UDS, started and kept the temp around 275, spiked around 350, by morning was down to 225, kicked the barrel to settle the coal. My temp was still at 200 by the evening, I got right at 24 hours with about 15 to 20lbs of lump. (Which is a first, haven't had that much heat that long before)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag16.htm

dajogejr
10-03-2013, 09:27 AM
I think it depends on cooker type as well.
I have to run lump in my Egg, but I've tried RO (Red bag from RD), Cowboy (new Cowboy when True Value had a smoking price on them) and Wicked Good.

I like WG Weekend Warrior. Just too expensive IF you can find it around here.
Didn't like the burn characteristics of Cowboy, or the flavor from it.

Royal Oak is where it's at for me. I even burn it in my Weber OTG for burgers, dogs and steaks.

I do have a small bag of MatchLight Charcoal and a left over bag of Cowboy....that I use to start my outdoor firepit when it's being stubborn. LOL.

As mentioned, you'll find Royal Oak makes most of the lump out there and repackages/rebrands itself for others.

peeps
10-03-2013, 09:39 AM
The inconsistency of widely available lump has been turning me off from it. I may give it another bag or 2 in some trials...

Briqs for me in my OTG and Mini WSM.

NeilH
10-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Use Wicked Good for smoking and Stubbs for grilling unless I want it extra hot then use Royal Oak when grilling. I cant get past the smell and taste of the Cowboy Lump. I definitely made sure my windows were down and i stood far away from the fireworks when I lit that stuff up.

sincitydisciple01
10-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Kingsford Comp for my drums!

RAIDERKEVINBBQ
10-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Oak lump :clap:

Militant83
10-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I prefer Royal Oak Lump

lowbass
10-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Stubbs! Tried Kingsford Comp and thought it was alright.

Bludawg
10-03-2013, 06:00 PM
All I ever use
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0074.jpg

peeps
10-03-2013, 06:08 PM
All I ever use
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0074.jpgDamn you and your HEBs! I would kill to have a single HEB within 30 miles of me vs the 2 Krogers, 2 Albertsons, 2 Wal-mart Super Centers, and 2 Super Targets all within 5 miles of me! Worst part of being in North Texas!!! It feels like in farkin' Oklahoma with no damn HEB!

Bludawg
10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Damn you and your HEBs! I would kill to have a single HEB within 30 miles of me vs the 2 Krogers, 2 Albertsons, 2 Wal-mart Super Centers, and 2 Super Targets all within 5 miles of me! Worst part of being in North Texas!!! It feels like in farkin' Oklahoma with no damn HEB!
We do have some nice Real Estate for sale down here:mrgreen: that is if ya don't mind drivin 40 miles to the closest Walmart and 75 to the closest Target. Kroger & Albertsons whats that:confused:

charrederhead
10-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Damn you and your HEBs! I would kill to have a single HEB within 30 miles of me vs the 2 Krogers, 2 Albertsons, 2 Wal-mart Super Centers, and 2 Super Targets all within 5 miles of me! Worst part of being in North Texas!!! It feels like in farkin' Oklahoma with no damn HEB!

Ha! Pardon me if I don't shed a tear...I've never even seen a Kroger's!!!!!!!!! :shock:

peeps
10-03-2013, 10:00 PM
We do have some nice Real Estate for sale down here:mrgreen: that is if ya don't mind drivin 40 miles to the closest Walmart and 75 to the closest Target. Kroger & Albertsons whats that:confused:One day, I'll get back to central Texas...job treats me well and Denton ain't bad, so I can deal with sub-par grocers. Should either of those 2 change, I might just have to get closer to an HEB :wink:

JazzyBadger
10-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Ha! Pardon me if I don't shed a tear...I've never even seen a Kroger's!!!!!!!!! :shock:

You may have seen one, but not known that you were looking at it. Kroger has a ridiculous number of grocery stores in their company, and they're all different names throughout the U.S.

Macht Schnell
10-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Royal Oak lump in my BGE...Restaurant Depot always has it in stock at ~$11 for an 18 pound bag. Used to use Cowboy lump but I prefer the RO now...and it's cheaper to boot.