PDA

View Full Version : Chris Lillys injection?? Where can I find it?

bbqwilly
10-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Nevermind, I found it. But I would like to hear feedback on it.

KingRanch450
10-01-2013, 08:28 PM
I don't know about his injection. I wanted his recipe for the white bbq sauce so I googled it and found it. You might try that.

bbqwilly
10-01-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't know about his injection. I wanted his recipe for the white bbq sauce so I googled it and found it. You might try that.

LOL. I googled it and it sent me to a thread on this site. Wampus must love this stuff because it was another thread started by him.
Thanks.

Ron_L
10-01-2013, 08:47 PM
A lot of guys cut the salt in half when they use it.

nucornhusker
10-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I use this injection if I'm cooking for a group. It always works well.

El Ropo
10-01-2013, 10:21 PM
I found it right next to the 100 lb bags of salt lol.

hedge
10-01-2013, 10:34 PM
gotta cut the salt

nucornhusker
10-01-2013, 11:48 PM
I don't find it to be too salty. Are you guys using Kosher salt or table salt?

IamMadMan
10-02-2013, 07:04 AM
I use Chris Lilly's Brine and Injection from time to time and it is not salty.......
I think "nucornhusker" hit the mark when he asked what type of salt you are using.
My recipe calls for kosher salt, larger crystals take up more space.

Ideally salt should be weighed, not measured by volume, but we don't live in a perfect world.

You may also want to try OakRidge Game Changer Brine, also works as an injection..

thirdeye
10-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Chris Lilly's Injection is about the worst kept secret in barbecue circles :mrgreen: It's all over the Internet and I even saw him give it up on some morning show (Today, or Good Morning America). It's also in the Big Bob Gibson BBQ Book, which is a very good read.

I will agree with the others, it is heavy handed on the salt.

jwolf99
10-02-2013, 08:30 AM
I've used his injection and rub on my last three smoked butts. Consensus among family and friends is that it's been some of the best pulled pork they've had. Many even opting not to use any sauce because the flavor is that good.

BroBBQButcher
10-02-2013, 08:34 AM
do you guys cut the salt in 1/2? cooking 10 butts on friday for the American Royal

Lake Dogs
10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Particularly on the pork only competitions, most competitors inject pork, whether butts or whole hogs, etc. with their own version based upon Chris' injection. Like others said, I use kosher salt but MUCH less than he calls for. Actually, in mine, I use my rub which is salty enough, so I dont add any salt whatsoever other than what comes with the rub... Also, the worchestershire is quite salty...

Lake Dogs
10-02-2013, 08:38 AM
do you guys cut the salt in 1/2? cooking 10 butts on friday for the American Royal

For a first run, I'd cut it to 1/4th of what he calls for. Depending on the salt and other ingredients you use, it's either salty, very salty, or tastes like a salt lick... Early on, back WAY off...

Pooky
10-02-2013, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't claim to be an expert, having only used it the once, but yes, I cut the salt in half following advice on this forum. It gave a great, savoury flavour, without being too salty.

Teamfour
10-02-2013, 09:20 AM
We use it regularly and don't cut back on the salt. We love it.

Wampus
10-02-2013, 09:52 AM
LOL. I googled it and it sent me to a thread on this site. Wampus must love this stuff because it was another thread started by him.
Thanks.

HA! I do, indeed, love it! I use it without fail on EVERY pork cook I do, even the big ones.

I do find the original recipe (which calls for table salt) to be a little salty. Not WAY too salty, but a bit much.

My modified recipe that I've been using is the same, but I use kosher salt which, as said, has larger, coarser, grains and so doesn't have as much quantity for the same volume. I find this to be pretty much perfect.

SO, the recipe I use is as follows:

3/4 C apple juice
1/2 C water
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 C coarse grained kosher salt
2 TBS worschestershire sauce

NOTE: This recipe makes enough for 2 pork butts.

OH, and just in case you wondered, enough of this injection for 20 pork butts makes EXACTLY one gallon, which fits nicely into a milk container. IN CASE you wondered. :wink:

MilitantSquatter
10-02-2013, 07:36 PM
try thinking beyond plain salt or kosher salt.... :tape:

also... the injection is this color