PDA

View Full Version : Pork Tacos, Mexican Rice, and Refried Beans.

JazzyBadger
09-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Made up some pork tacos with some homemade sausage I made the other day. Decided I'd smoke it on Lil' Spidey and see what it tasted like, and man it was gooood.

Made some refried black beans with homemade taco seasoning, some rendered pork fat from the butts I processed into sausage, and some pork stock I had canned up:
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/jazzybadger/Pork%20Tacos/DSC03626.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/jazzybadger/Pork%20Tacos/63157a8b-7fcb-4127-b3d1-780046f63fa5.jpg?t=1380591116

On the grill for an hour, hour and a half, and here's what I ended up with:
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/jazzybadger/Pork%20Tacos/DSC03665.jpg
Ground it down:
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/jazzybadger/Pork%20Tacos/DSC03667.jpg

Made some red sauce for the refried beans and Mexican rice using ancho peppers, hatch peppers, some cloves, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Steeped the peppers in some water, ground the seasonings in my mortar and pestle, stuck it all in the blender, and then simmered on the stove:

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/jazzybadger/Pork%20Tacos/DSC03659.jpg

Made some guacamole seasoned with some salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder, cumin, and some jalapeno brine:

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/jazzybadger/Pork%20Tacos/DSC03675.jpg

Grilled some onions up for the tacos:
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/jazzybadger/Pork%20Tacos/DSC03676.jpg

End results: Tacos, corn cooked in some butter and ground hatch chiles, refried beans and Mexican rice with red sauce. I could drink that red sauce by the gallon it's so good!

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/jazzybadger/Pork%20Tacos/DSC03679.jpg

Thanks for looking.

motoeric
09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
That looks great! Nice job. I tried making some pulled pork tacos this weekend and they didn't turn out anywhere close to that good.

ERic

bbqbull
09-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Outstanding looking meal!!!

landarc
09-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Why can't I get taco plates that look that good around here?

Nice cooking JG

charrederhead
09-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Awesome plate! Wish I could smell it.

Tonybel
09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Nice job!!!

papabill
09-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Man does that look yummy. Great job.:clap2:

gtr
09-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Homemade fatties, pork stock, the salsa - you complete me dude. :hungry:

I've been using smoked pork stock a lot lately - in sausage when distributing the spices, in beans, and I injected my last pulled pork with it, which I will most definitely be doing again.

Fake Farmer
09-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Badger,

You are sandbagging me! :shock: Thank you for your compliments on my fish taco cook. However...this is out of this world! I am so flattered you even noticed my cook. So much homemade goodness, tweaked and made to your liking. If you tell me you forged that CIS with your bare hands I'm not gonna be surprised. Great cook!

JazzyBadger
09-30-2013, 10:54 PM
That looks great! Nice job. I tried making some pulled pork tacos this weekend and they didn't turn out anywhere close to that good.

ERic

Yeah I've tried a couple of different methods with the pork tacos. First incarnation was pulled pork tacos, but my wife said she preferred pulled pork on a bun, not a tortilla. The second incarnation was pork that was cut down into chunks, but my wife said she prefers that when I do carnitas, and likes it in some green sauce, this is the third incarnation, and she said it was perfect. Ground is the way to go. I think I'm gonna take a Picnic or a butt and smoke that bad boy to about 170º and try cubing that up, mix it with some green sauce, and see how she likes that too. The fatty ground pork is definitely a keeper in either event though. Reminded me of my teen years of sucking down soft taco supremes during my shift at Taco Bell, but you know, tasty.

Why can't I get taco plates that look that good around here?

Nice cooking JG

You know, I spent about six or eight months out in California for business purposes, and not once in that whole time did I even try a Mexican restaurant. :doh:

Homemade fatties, pork stock, the salsa - you complete me dude. :hungry:

I've been using smoked pork stock a lot lately - in sausage when distributing the spices, in beans, and I injected my last pulled pork with it, which I will most definitely be doing again.

How do you do the smoked pork stock? You making the stock and then adding smoke to it in your pit? Or the bones are smoked? I've wondered about throwing the stock in there after I'm done making it for some extra smoky flavor, but worried about it not coming out the way I picture. Right now I take the bones from the smoked butts, or I smoke the bones after I cut them out of the butts when I'm grinding sausage, and then I make it all up into stock that way. I've been using my pressure cooker since I got it. Let it run for about an hour, and those bones become jelly mush. So awesome. Might have to throw it on the smoker after I strain that and see what happens.

Injecting butts with pork stock CANNOT be beaten man. I love that stuff so much. I've had a few people act completely shocked when I talk about pork stock. Can't disrespect those bones man! Especially when it tastes so good.

Badger,

You are sandbagging me! :shock: Thank you for your compliments on my fish taco cook. However...this is out of this world! I am so flattered you even noticed my cook. So much homemade goodness, tweaked and made to your liking. If you tell me you forged that CIS with your bare hands I'm not gonna be surprised. Great cook!

:icon_blush: I thank you for the compliments good sir. You inspired me to take a crack at fish tacos some time down the road. I have never made any myself, only had em from some food trucks out in Houston. Your cook made me decide real quick I need to take a crack at it. Looked freaking delicious!

Humble Soul
09-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Sweet! Just missing the Tequila!

jeffturnerjr
09-30-2013, 11:37 PM
I just want to eat all of that now.

BobBrisket
09-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Oh yeah! I'd hit that!:thumb:

Bob

Phubar
10-01-2013, 02:23 AM
Plate Phull of goodness!

sliding_billy
10-01-2013, 03:06 AM
Those look great!

chambersuac
10-01-2013, 03:16 AM
Looks great. I'd BobBrisket that! :)

Diesel Dave
10-01-2013, 05:38 AM
good.......great.......nope those are well past either one of those descriptions!!!!!

boaz65
10-01-2013, 09:03 AM
2 plates of that and a few Dos Equis, I would be straight for quite some time!!!!

fingerlickin'
10-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Dang man, that looks out of sight! :thumb:

J-Rod
10-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Awesome plate! Wish I could smell it.

Smell it?? Screw dat, I'd rather EAT it!!!

deepsouth
10-01-2013, 10:12 AM
looks great JB.

Smokeat
10-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Great looking plate! Always trips me out to see tacos in flour tortillas, just not seen here in SoCal.

gtr
10-01-2013, 11:21 AM
How do you do the smoked pork stock? You making the stock and then adding smoke to it in your pit? Or the bones are smoked? I've wondered about throwing the stock in there after I'm done making it for some extra smoky flavor, but worried about it not coming out the way I picture. Right now I take the bones from the smoked butts, or I smoke the bones after I cut them out of the butts when I'm grinding sausage, and then I make it all up into stock that way. I've been using my pressure cooker since I got it. Let it run for about an hour, and those bones become jelly mush. So awesome. Might have to throw it on the smoker after I strain that and see what happens.

Injecting butts with pork stock CANNOT be beaten man. I love that stuff so much. I've had a few people act completely shocked when I talk about pork stock. Can't disrespect those bones man! Especially when it tastes so good.

I've just been taking the bones from piggys I've cooked and throwing 'em in a pot of water with onions, celery, peppercorns, carrots, and all that other type stuff and letting it simmer for a long time then remove/strain the solids and reduce. The smoke flavor is from the initial cook of the pig - and I've saved bones from butt cooks and used those as well.

Man - throwing the bones in the smoker before making the stock - I may have to check that out. I'm pretty happy with the level of smoke flavor I'm getting now, but that sounds like some next level chit worth trying. :thumb:

And I'm telling ya - next time you grind up some sausage, throw a little pork stock in there. Drippings from chuckies or briskets work great as well - nice deep flavor there.

JazzyBadger
10-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Great looking plate! Always trips me out to see tacos in flour tortillas, just not seen here in SoCal.

Yeah truth be told I'm a corn tortilla guy myself. I'm just not choosy enough when it comes to making the tacos, and my wife, and every single one of my sons prefers flour tortillas. I just cave for the most part on that, they don't bother me, but I grew up with corn tortillas. When it comes to enchiladas if the family insists on flour ones I'll still whip up some corn tortillas and make myself some actual freaking enchiladas.

I've just been taking the bones from piggys I've cooked and throwing 'em in a pot of water with onions, celery, peppercorns, carrots, and all that other type stuff and letting it simmer for a long time then remove/strain the solids and reduce. The smoke flavor is from the initial cook of the pig - and I've saved bones from butt cooks and used those as well.

Man - throwing the bones in the smoker before making the stock - I may have to check that out. I'm pretty happy with the level of smoke flavor I'm getting now, but that sounds like some next level chit worth trying. :thumb:

And I'm telling ya - next time you grind up some sausage, throw a little pork stock in there. Drippings from chuckies or briskets work great as well - nice deep flavor there.

Yeah when you said that about the sausage I decided I was definitely going to give that a go. I've got two butts in the deep freezer right now that's going to become some chorizo, Italian Sausage, and meatballs. (Mixed 50/50 with some ground beef.) Good idea to do it, especially to get the seasonings spread more evenly, and just to enhance the flavor. Not sure if you're a rice guy or not, but I just take some pork stock (if I'm having pork fried rice or carnitas or pork tacos or whatever) and some lard rendered from pork sitting in my fridge, and add that to the rice cooker. Ohhh man that is so good. I used to hate rice growing up, turned out my family just made bland nasty rice. I typically omit the pork fat for the sweet and sour pork though.

deguerre
10-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Well, damn. ANOTHER cook thread. I just don't know you anymore. :tsk:

But I'd like to. :becky:

Wampus
10-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Hmmmm....."Jazzypron" huh? Impressive!

MORE! WE WANT MORE PRON FROM JAZZY GERBIL LAND!

deguerre
10-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Wait...this is Q-Talk...

Terry The Toad
10-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Get in my belly! :becky:

Smokey89
10-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Awesome plate! On the to-dolist

JazzyBadger
10-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Well, damn. ANOTHER cook thread. I just don't know you anymore. :tsk:

But I'd like to. :becky:
Yeah I went for a hat trick on the food posts. The addiction continues to grow...

Hmmmm....."Jazzypron" huh? Impressive!

MORE! WE WANT MORE PRON FROM JAZZY GERBIL LAND!

More will be had I'm sure. Going to take pictures of my son's birthday lasagna request, and I have to make up some gyros for my Pixie wife, so that'll be photographed as well.

Happy Hapgood
10-01-2013, 04:28 PM
MAN! That's one Fantastic Feast! :clap:

JazzyBadger
10-01-2013, 04:58 PM
MAN! That's one Fantastic Feast! :clap:

High praise coming from you, Swamp Thing. :heh: Seriously though, thank you for the kind words.

deguerre
10-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Seriously though, thank YOU for the pron.:thumb::thumb:

JazzyBadger
10-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Seriously though, thank YOU for the pron.:thumb::thumb:

:bow: You are most welcome good sir. Gotta crawl out of N&P from time to time. :heh: