PDA

View Full Version : When to abort?

Qczar
04-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Last week I made the worst weather forecast to attempt a burn on my deck. Got the can of Kingsford started at about 5:30am and the fire basket filled with lump 30 minutes later. I just could`nt get the temps from the mid to upper levels on my Bandera to go over say 175º. The lower rack was ok at about 225º and my chicken came out pretty good. I thought my problem was the fact that I had every rack filled and I needed to get the chill out of the meat, but after 6+ hours, I aborted and finished the meats in the kitchen oven. Certainly not the best job I ever did, it was ok. Damn it was a rough day at sea last Saturday! Rain, wind and chilly.

The meats were a bit too smokey for my tastes, but not too bad. I slow cooked the butt, dino ribs, and roasts in the oven `till tender.

Welp, I learned sumtin`.

NorthernQ
04-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Never could figure out when to abort. I always seem to hang on for too long before making that decision.
Blame the weatherman ... if he had been more accurate, there would not have been a problem.

scottyd
04-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Never Abort, Charge Forward, You Are Always Learning Something To Help You In The Future. Let The Blue Smoke Flow!

JohnMcD348
04-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Like Scott said, Never give up, never surrender, take notes(paper or mental) and learn from your experiences. They're never mistakes only educational moments.

icemn62
04-16-2006, 09:18 AM
It is only poper to abort in the face of a storm, or waaaaaayy to much alcohol consumption. In some cases the alcohol will get you through the storm.

RichardF
04-17-2006, 09:02 AM
It's time to abort when (if cooking for people and you are on a set schedule) you have enough time left to finish in the oven. If you are not on a time schedule suffer in silence and pop another beer.

Sawdustguy
04-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I think you aborted at just the right time.:biggrin:

Arlin_MacRae
04-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I agree with da boys: never abort. Rig up a rain cover and wind break, a forced-air fan, whatEVER - but smoke on!