PDA

View Full Version : Help with my mini WSM

peeps
09-27-2013, 11:16 PM
So I made a mini with a SJS but after working it a couple times and having it choke itself out on ash after about 5 hours on KBB despite having an ash shield, I decided to drill four 3/4" holes in the side of the bottom bowl with the plan to cover with 1" dia Neodymium magnets to make it act more like a SJG. However, as soon as the bottom bowl heated up, the magnets lost their strength so I was forced to run it WFO all night....not a big deal though. I was doing chicken for the first couple hours so the temp was OK.

I was able to run the little guy at about 300-350F for about 4 hours (trying to run it as long as I can) on ~1.75 full baskets of RO lump tonight (most of it was small **** that would easily drop through the charcoal grate that makes the bottom of my basket). I have loaded it with one more full basket just now to see how much longer I get get.

The most I have been able to get was about 5 hours on a full load of KBB prior to drilling the holes at 275-300F.

Since the magnets no longer hold, I am thinking about just getting some 3/4" bolts to use to plug the holes for temp control.

I guess my question is this. What is the longest burn at ~275F I should expect once I have proper control of my air intakes? Is it normal to have to reload it a few times when using lump for an 8-10 hr smoke? Should I just plan on using KBB when I want a longer, medium temperature run vs lump that will burn hotter and faster?

BecknCO
09-27-2013, 11:25 PM
I only use RO lump for grilling (SJS), and only Stubbs briquettes for smoking in the mini (SJG). I agree the damn small pieces slide too easy through the charcoal grate on the SJ's, so I lay two grates on top of one another (one off my SJG and the other off my SJS) in a cross-hatched pattern so the holes are smaller for grilling. Using two should help your problem if you are going to use lump for smoking, brosef

FWIW - I can easily pull off 250-275 for nearly 10 hours with the Stubbs - also "supposedly" you get less ash with Stubbs than you will KBB.

peeps
09-27-2013, 11:30 PM
I only use RO lump for grilling (SJS), and only Stubbs briquettes for smoking in the mini (SJG). I agree the damn small pieces slide too easy through the charcoal grate on the SJ's, so I lay two grates on top of one another (one off my SJG and the other off my SJS) in a cross-hatched pattern so the holes are smaller for grilling. Using two should help your problem if you are going to use lump for smoking, brosefAre you using a basket? What is the average time you get on a full load of Stubbs briquettes?

EDIT: I saw your edit...will try Stubbs for the next round on the mini. Still interested to know if you use a basket or just load up the grate?

BecknCO
09-27-2013, 11:37 PM
nah - no basket although that may be in the works somewhere down the line. I just fill the bowl and run straight minion method

peeps
09-27-2013, 11:41 PM
nah - no basket although that may be in the works somewhere down the line. I just fill the bowl and run straight minion methodOK...will try it without the basket and with Stubbs briquettes next time. Pretty sure I have a spare grate around.

I was starting with minion method and about 10-12 lit pieces into a loaded basket with RO lump and a few chunks.

Diesel Dave
09-28-2013, 06:07 AM
I also have trouble with the small pieces of lump falling through the grates.
I'm going to pick up some hardware mesh, 1/2" x 1/2" squares, non galvanized and use that on the rack to get the most bang for the buck.

aawa
09-28-2013, 07:41 AM
On my mini's I picked up some expanded aluminum and cut it to the size of the charcoal grate. I then used some nuts and bolts to hold it on. This will limit only ash falling through the grate and not lit coals.

Also with lump you have to pack it in tight, or you won't get long burn times with it as it burns unevenly. If you dont pack it in tight, it will sometimes go out because a piece might not be touching another coal etc. Also burn time with lump is dependent on density of your lump. Royal Oak is very light and burns fast. Cowboy lump is a little bit more dense and you will get a longer burn time. Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is really dense and you will get a much longer burn time than you would with Royal Oak.

In my mini with the grate mod and ash can mod, I would get about 4-6 hours at 250ish with Royal Oak. Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump I would get 6-9+ hours at 250ish. I haven't tried Cowboy lump in my mini.

One thing I will do when I use my mini is every few hours when I'm checking the color of the meat etc, I will lightly tap the bowl with my foot (which is clad in a shoe) in a couple of spots. This allows for ash to compact itself down so that it doesn't build up on the can.

peeps
09-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I was tapping the bowl to knock down ash with my Craycort CI grate tool. I think part of it was the junks small pieces that was 2/3 of the bag with the large pieces used in the last cook where i got ~3-4 hours around 275F.

Definitely sounds like I NEED a premium lump or brick for long cooks on this guy. Thanks!

aawa
09-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Get some expanded metal and cut it to the size of your charcoal grate. The smaller holes in the expanded aluminum will keep even small pieces on the grate and only allow the ashe to fall through. I was able to extend burn times doing this as well keep debris on the bottom to only ash and no coals.

peeps
09-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Get some expanded metal and cut it to the size of your charcoal grate. The smaller holes in the expanded aluminum will keep even small pieces on the grate and only allow the ashe to fall through. I was able to extend burn times doing this as well keep debris on the bottom to only ash and no coals.Will do! I also have a spare charcoal grate. Will try them 90 degrees opposed first to see how that goes. Bought it in an attempt to improve a borrowed ECB and forgot I had it.

ebijack
09-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Since the magnets no longer hold, I am thinking about just getting some 3/4" bolts to use to plug the holes for temp control.
I used some aluminum flashing from HD about $7 for a 8 inch X 10 ft roll ? anyways, it is easy to cut and easy to bend. Cut some pieces about 2 1/2 long, 2 inches wide and bend at 90 degrees in the middle of the 2 inch section. Either with small bolts ( 10-32) or even sheet metal screws, attach one piece of the aluminum bolted/screwed above each hole allowing you to use that as a swing/slider door. Use enough tension so it will stay where you put it. You will be able to dial in your temps quite easily. That is what I did on my bullet smoker, for me easier and cheaper and nothing sticking out like it would if I used ball valves. If that makes sense.

twofishy4u
09-28-2013, 09:50 AM
wish I would have bought a Gold model as it has 4 vent holes...2 on each SIDE...so it shouldn't plug as easy. I use a cheap aluminum foil plate with holes in the side and throw it over the bottom vent so ash and chunks can't clog it up.

Bludawg
09-28-2013, 09:56 AM
I solved that problem build a basket with an expando bottom and sit it on the coal grate. Use a small pet food bowl with about 6 1/2" holes drilled around the circumference to keep the intake out of the ash. I run Lump in mine and 3 chunks I get 7- 8 hrs at 275-300 I have the bottom cut out of the pot and use the steamer tray as a diffuser.

peeps
09-28-2013, 01:45 PM
My silver will now act as a gold. I will probably use bolts or pipe plugs to close them off. Then I can just keep the bottom vent closed. Gonna run a full bowl of Stubbs tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for the input guys.

My pot setup is drilled holes in the bottom of the pot (same pattern as the steamer rack) vs cutting it out, so I can run 2 racks. 1 at the original steamer rack level and one near the top.

Fwismoker
09-28-2013, 02:48 PM
I go about 9 hours at 275 but i was using my pitmaster iq

peeps
09-28-2013, 02:50 PM
I go about 9 hours at 275 but i was using my pitmaster iq
And you fuel is? Basket or just full bowl?

peeps
09-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Working on about 9 hours since dropping hot coals in the bowl to start via minion method and 8 hours since TBS today at 250F (+/-25F) and still going. Used a full load of Stubbs briquettes in the bowl (without my basket) on the standard grate (no expanded metal on the grate) and some apple/pecan chunks.

Fwismoker
09-29-2013, 07:49 PM
And you fuel is? Basket or just full bowl? A basket, i have two 3" strips of expanded metal tied to my charcoal grate. That cook was KB and i filled the basket up heaping.

peeps
09-29-2013, 07:51 PM
A basket, i have two 3" strips of expanded metal tied to my charcoal grate. That cook was KB and i filled the basket up heaping.So I take it you have the entire bottom cut out of your mini...

I only have large drilled holes, so I am limited by the grate-to-pot-bottom height with either the basket or just filling the bowl...~4"

Fwismoker
09-29-2013, 07:57 PM
So I take it you have the entire bottom cut out of your mini...

I only have large drilled holes, so I am limited by the grate-to-pot-bottom height with either the basket or just filling the bowl...~4" Yea peeps having the bottom cut out allows you to stack up the fuel higher for those long cooks.

Take your charcoal grate and use to draw the circle for the cut out. I used a jig saw and metal blade, it worked pretty easy.

peeps
09-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Yea peeps having the bottom cut out allows you to stack up the fuel higher for those long cooks.

Take your charcoal grate and use to draw the circle for the cut out. I used a jig saw and metal blade, it worked pretty easy.That means I need to buy a jig saw and metal blade ;)

I am pretty sure I have it worked out (see post above) to get as long as I would expect to need for the purposes I planned for my mini.

And if I need even longer, I will just dump in a lit chimney.

Appreciate the feedback, though. Who knows. One day I may end up cutting the bottom, but wife was already kinda irked that my super cheap yet awesome cooker build keeps adding up ;)

If I'm ever up in FW area, I'll buy you an Auburn Lager at Mad Anthony's...

Fwismoker
09-29-2013, 08:16 PM
If I'm ever up in FW area, I'll buy you an Auburn Lager at Mad Anthony's...

Sounds great i'll take that! I have a couple growlers for Mad Anthony's

peeps
09-30-2013, 11:31 AM
So, my temp finally started dropping yesterday after 10 hours since dropping coals and 9 hours after TBS. Had a short period where I realized I had the bottom vent open and it spiked up to 350F, so that probably lost me another half hour of burn time. Much more pleased with my mini now. Will probably do another run sometime with KBB using a full bowl to better see how it compares with the Stubbs since the KBB is easier to find and has good sale pricing at holidays.

El Ropo
09-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Check your Academy Sports for "Outdoor Gourmet" ridge charcoal. It's $4.99 for 16.6 lb bag, and goes on sale for $2.99 quite a few times a year. It is rebranded Royal Oak briqs, and performs wonderfully. I've done a few 8 hours cooks on my mini, and still had a few hours worth of fuel left in the basket.

I purchased a can of tyson chicken chunks, used the chicken for a taco/burrito meal mix, and made a bunch of holes with a can opener around the outside bottom of can. Flip can over, place on top of the intake vent. No issues at all with the fire getting choked.

peeps
09-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Check your Academy Sports for "Outdoor Gourmet" ridge charcoal. It's $4.99 for 16.6 lb bag, and goes on sale for $2.99 quite a few times a year. It is rebranded Royal Oak briqs, and performs wonderfully. I've done a few 8 hours cooks on my mini, and still had a few hours worth of fuel left in the basket.

I purchased a can of tyson chicken chunks, used the chicken for a taco/burrito meal mix, and made a bunch of holes with a can opener around the outside bottom of can. Flip can over, place on top of the intake vent. No issues at all with the fire getting choked.I have ditched the SJS concept and basically converted mine to a gold by drilling some holes in the bowl, so the only time I will be using the bottom vent is when getting the coals going. Otherwise, it stays closed now and no worry about the ash.

You can see the holes here and I use 3/4" pipe plugs to plug them. Gonna add a ball valve to the one I accidently made a smidge too large.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk287/philpeeps/null_zpsa5825145.jpg

Will look for the Outdoor Gourmet/RO briqs. Thanks!

Carbon
09-30-2013, 12:14 PM
The trick to longer burn times is to make that ash shield as tall as possible so the charcoal grate is practically riding on it. Also do not use a charcoal ring to confine your coals and cut out the bottom of the tamale pot so you can pile up on the coals. I get fairly long burn times using KB briquettes.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/jojisan/BBQ/P1070108_zps6dfd9f7a.jpg

Yellowhair42
10-01-2013, 01:17 PM
The trick to longer burn times is to make that ash shield as tall as possible so the charcoal grate is practically riding on it. Also do not use a charcoal ring to confine your coals and cut out the bottom of the tamale pot so you can pile up on the coals. I get fairly long burn times using KB briquettes.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/jojisan/BBQ/P1070108_zps6dfd9f7a.jpg

Sorry to hijack but here's my stainless steel creation.

16Adams
10-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Applause to all of you and your burn times in your Mini's.

I use mine almost exclusively for chicken then sausage when I use it, so I don't need a long burn.

I really like the Trader Joes all natural briquettes. They light slow but burn a really long time.

Also, Mini Cookers WSM's Mini Eggs, Hibachis etc are a really enjoyable way to cook.

Again great job on your burn times

Enjoying this thread.

Peeps: someone scratched graffiti art in your barrel :-))

peeps
10-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Peeps: someone scratched graffiti art in your barrel :-))Nope...it's the only way those pots should come! ;)

jscott6
10-01-2013, 03:44 PM
1) Dump the ash from the bottom of the smoker. It is essential that nothing blocks the air intakes and ash absorbs heat. If you can, buy another spare bottom grate and lay it on top of the one that came with your WSM with the bars perpendicular, creating a checkerboard pattern. This will prevent coals and wood from falling through.

2) Open all the vent on the top all the way, and open the bottom vents
half way.

3) For the 18.5" WSM and similar bullets, I recommend the Minion Method, named after Jim Minion, a caterer who invented the technique. It is better than the method recommended by Weber because it keeps the temp in the desired 225°F range. If you light all the coals at once, as Weber recommends, they will burn hot at first and then cool off. The Minion method is much better at keeping the temp steady because it lights new coals as the old ones burn out.

Start by pouring unlit coals into the fire ring and bury about three chunks of wood in the pile. Then put 1/4 a Weber chimney (15 - 20 briquets) of hot coals on top of cold coals, and a lump of wood on top. The exact number of coals will vary depending on the brand you use and the weather. You can use chips or pellets, but I prefer chunks because they ignite and smolder slowly

peeps
10-01-2013, 03:48 PM
1) Dump the ash from the bottom of the smoker. It is essential that nothing blocks the air intakes and ash absorbs heat. If you can, buy another spare bottom grate and lay it on top of the one that came with your WSM with the bars perpendicular, creating a checkerboard pattern. This will prevent coals and wood from falling through.

2) Open all the vent on the top all the way, and open the bottom vents
half way.

3) For the 18.5" WSM and similar bullets, I recommend the Minion Method, named after Jim Minion, a caterer who invented the technique. It is better than the method recommended by Weber because it keeps the temp in the desired 225°F range. If you light all the coals at once, as Weber recommends, they will burn hot at first and then cool off. The Minion method is much better at keeping the temp steady because it lights new coals as the old ones burn out.

Start by pouring unlit coals into the fire ring and bury about three chunks of wood in the pile. Then put 1/4 a Weber chimney (15 - 20 briquets) of hot coals on top of cold coals, and a lump of wood on top. The exact number of coals will vary depending on the brand you use and the weather. You can use chips or pellets, but I prefer chunks because they ignite and smolder slowlyOK...will try it without the basket and with Stubbs briquettes next time. Pretty sure I have a spare grate around.

I was starting with minion method and about 10-12 lit pieces into a loaded basket with RO lump and a few chunks.

Working on about 9 hours since dropping hot coals in the bowl to start via minion method and 8 hours since TBS today at 250F (+/-25F) and still going. Used a full load of Stubbs briquettes in the bowl (without my basket) on the standard grate (no expanded metal on the grate) and some apple/pecan chunks.Yep, got it...

El Ropo
10-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Just to insert a bit of reality, if I open my bottom vent halfway, I'll be cruising at 375-400 grate level with a diffuser. My mini is not shy with the heat.

peeps
10-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Just to insert a bit of reality, if I open my bottom vent halfway, I'll be cruising at 375-400 grate level with a diffuser. My mini is not shy with the heat.I give it another try with an ash blocker and keeping my new holes plugged sometime...maybe after the N TX Bash.