PDA

View Full Version : Hit the Jackpot! (I think)

smokin'matt
09-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Stopped at a local construction site yesterday just to see what they were doing (I'm a little wierd that way). Turns out they just finished installing 3/4" oak strip flooring in a 20 unit apartment building. Noticed several piles and box loads of cut offs in a corner and asked the project manager what the intended fate of these cut offs was. He said he was waiting for his scavenger to pick them up and he was just going to dump them (can't go in the dumpster in Chicago). I asked if I could bring some home and he told me I could have the whole load or as much as I wanted. Even offered to deliver what I couldn't carry. So now I have a $#it load of oak for the offset and the OTG!

I'll test it out on the chuckies tomorrow. If I detect too strong of an odor I'll revert to my oak splits.

Question, does anyone have any experience using red oak flooring scraps to smoke meat? If it doesn't work out, at least I'll have fuel for the fireplace this wintee.

KingRanch450
09-27-2013, 08:01 PM
My question would be...has it been treated with anything

Okie Sawbones
09-27-2013, 08:03 PM
As long as it hasn't been treated, you should be golden. You can always do a cheap cook, like a chicken, just to be sure. Hope it turns out well for you!

peeps
09-27-2013, 08:04 PM
My question would be...has it been treated with anythingyeah, same here...

Garrett
09-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Ummm..... Not stained or any type finish on it hopefully??

If you answered no to the above question then I would say JACKPOT!!!

Garrett
09-27-2013, 08:07 PM
^^^did it really take me that long to type??? There were no responses when I started.

CarolinaQue
09-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Even if there was no finish on it, flooring is often treated with chemicals even if it's unfinished.

sliding_billy
09-28-2013, 04:18 AM
Hope it works out for you. Be careful.

Diesel Dave
09-28-2013, 05:29 AM
Good luck, I hope it is the jackpot you're hoping for.
Either way as you said you'll have fuel for the fireplace.

Fishhook
09-28-2013, 05:57 AM
FYI many companies treat the raw end grain with a product called "Nelsonite" ( or similar) to prevent "checking". Checking is what happens when wood dries out faster from the end grain than the middle of the stick. Nelsonite is colorless. I have no info at all about what it might taste like...or the toxicity. But it can't be good for you. However, if you know someone with a cut-off saw slicing off the ends about 1/4- 1/2 inch should remove the contaminated wood.

Actually, red oak is pretty open grained and has great capillary action, I'd cut of at least an inch

smokin'matt
09-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Nope. Not treated or pre-finished. Just raw strip flooring. Good idea about testing it on a cheap cook. Also, never new about Nelsonite. I'll take your advice and cut off the factory ends.