PDA

View Full Version : Pork Loin Help??

TroyA65
09-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Ok everyone, I've nailed my Butts, Ribs, Chuckies, even a big ol'packer Brisket,:clap: but I just tried a pork loin and....um....NO!:wacko::tsk:

So here is the deal, I basically followed a link someone had posted from theslabs.com slabalicious pork loin. So I put a light slather of yellow mustard and steak sauce, then gave it a dose of SM sweet seduction. Put it on the cooker at 250 F and had some lump and applewood for flavor. I ran it for a few hours until it hit 140 F IT. I pulled it off, wrapped it loosely with foil and let it set for an hour. I sliced it up thick, an inch or so, it was full of juice(so was my mouth at this point) and dove in.

While it appeared juicy, the mouth feel was dry, it had no flavor, and very little smoke.:twitch:

All that being said, I've never had a great pork loin (not sure why I keep trying):confused: so is this just pork loin or did I drop the ball somewhere?:confused:

smokenpreacher
09-24-2013, 07:33 PM
I have done a fair number of pork loins, smoked and otherwise. Some have been less flavored than others. Of the ones I have smoked, I have used rub only, and smoked on my offset using splits. I had good smoke ring and decent flavor. Being mostly lean, loins won't have the overall flavor profile as butts or other fatty cuts. When I serve loin, I always have a sauce on the side, I never sauce before serving.

Diesel Dave
09-24-2013, 07:44 PM
It's not really your fault, as was said pork loins are lean cuts.
I also only rub them, the last one I did was over all moist, but did have some dryness to a small area. I've found a bit lower of a temp 225 has done the best for me. That's on an offset so no direct heat.

Bludawg
09-24-2013, 08:02 PM
BRINE! NO mustard (save it for the Hot Dawgs and Cheeses Burgers), Make a Wet rub: Lemon zest, garlic, Marjoram, Thyme, Oregano, Black pepper, K Salt, olive oil. Rub and wrap in plastic wrap chill over night, cook to an IT of 130 it will carry over during the rest.

IrondeQuer
09-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Yup, what Bludawg said, brine, and maybe stuff. I used apple cider and some salt last time and although I overcooked the damned thing, it still had good taste with the brine and stuffing.

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t612/SteveLig/BBQ/porkloin45_zps65c0636a.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/SteveLig/media/BBQ/porkloin45_zps65c0636a.jpg.html)

Ron_L
09-24-2013, 09:11 PM
If the loin is not already enhanced, I brine and then cook hot until it is 135 internal, rest and eat. If it is enhanced, I cook the same, but skip the brine.

mikeleonard81
09-24-2013, 09:15 PM
In an offset a little lower heat at 225 seems to do the trick for me. Since it is so lean a rub it with EVOO and seasoned salt. If you pull it at 135 or so it will rise to 140 during the rest like buldawg said. Maybe you got it it just a little over done? Since it dosen't take long with pork loin throw a couple more pieces of wood to really lay on that smoke flavor next time. DO NOT GIVE UP ON THE PORK LOIN PLEASE! It is one of my all time favorites to smoke and that is what I get the most request to smoke when I'm cooking.

Fishin4bass723
09-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Since it is so lean would a bacon weave work to help the moisture?

mikeleonard81
09-25-2013, 12:59 AM
I don't think it even has to be a weave. Just a few strips will add some grease to it.

Hankdad1
09-25-2013, 01:32 AM
My wife was diagnosed with 2 neck cancers 3 years ago. Surgery and radiation treatments had a huge effect on her salivary glands so I need to keep our foods very moist.

Now I inject damn near everything (except steak). Pork loin I inject with apple juice/cider, sometimes with white balsamic vinegar added, then pull at 135F IT to rest.

captndan
09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Forget the goo. S,P,&G only. Brine or bacon for a great loin.

DriverWild
09-25-2013, 10:38 AM
If it's the same slabs.com video I saw on Youtube you might want to watch it again. I believe they foiled and returned to the cooker until it hit somewhere around 190. You might want to watch it again. I haven't tried that technique yet.

peeps
09-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I use tenderloins that are already brined from the store. I use a rub only and pull around 140°F IT. Let rest and slice them up for sliders.

jimmyinsd
09-25-2013, 03:53 PM
a brine or marinade will really add a lot of flavor and moisture for you finished product. i usually cook around 260-280 and pull at about 145 or so. rarely is a complaint registered, even from my harshest critic...myself.

sliding_billy
09-26-2013, 04:13 AM
I like to cook loins hot (325-350) with S&P along with a real mined garlic crust (a little bit of oil to stick it). I go to about 140 with a short 15 minute rest. I don't get a ton of smoke because the cook is so quick, but they turn out great.

BigBellyBBQ
09-26-2013, 04:26 AM
I inject with Minors pork base and Minors chipotle base..... standard rub, then cook either off to the side in weber or smoker till internal temp of 145....rest and slice mmmmmmmmm

TroyA65
09-26-2013, 08:07 AM
BRINE! NO mustard (save it for the Hot Dawgs and Cheeses Burgers), Make a Wet rub: Lemon zest, garlic, Marjoram, Thyme, Oregano, Black pepper, K Salt, olive oil. Rub and wrap in plastic wrap chill over night, cook to an IT of 130 it will carry over during the rest.

I've got one left in the freezer so I'll probably give this a try, Thanks Bludawg!

TroyA65
09-26-2013, 08:11 AM
If it's the same slabs.com video I saw on Youtube you might want to watch it again. I believe they foiled and returned to the cooker until it hit somewhere around 190. You might want to watch it again. I haven't tried that technique yet.

Yes, I saw/heard that but I thought that maybe he mis-spoke. I've never heard or seen any other recipe that took a pork loin to 190. Everyone else was in the 130-140 range so I called an audible.

Ron_L
09-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Yes, I saw/heard that but I thought that maybe he mis-spoke. I've never heard or seen any other recipe that took a pork loin to 190. Everyone else was in the 130-140 range so I called an audible.

No, he didn't mis-speak. This method goes back to before the BBQ Brethren forum was born. Willkat89 did this a long time ago. I know there is a better post on here with his method, but this one has the gist of it...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7350

It is a totally different result than cooking a loin to 140, but still good. We prefer loin at 140 but have done Bill's method before and enjoyed it, too.