PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Question: Am I doing it wrong??

Lockon
09-17-2013, 03:05 PM
I have a Char-Griller that I did some mods to (extended the smoke stack to grate level, turned the pan upside down as a quasi heat deflector, modified the offset fuel chamber with a raised grate, etc). I currently get things going with lump coal and then add chunks of wood (the bag stuff from Lowes, ie, Hickory, Apple, etc chunks). I continue to add chunks as the main fuel source for the first couple of hours during a smoke (ribs or brisket), then I tend to just add more lump to try and maintain my temps. Am I doing this wrong, or is what I am doing okay? This winter I am going to cut some trees on my property so I can have "splits" to cook with, but I am no tree expert and trying to figure out what type of trees I have might prove difficult. I am pretty sure most of my trees are oak and hickory.

SmittyJonz
09-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Sounds right to me!

IamMadMan
09-17-2013, 03:11 PM
I have a Char-Griller that I did some mods to (extended the smoke stack to grate level, turned the pan upside down as a quasi heat deflector, modified the offset fuel chamber with a raised grate, etc). I currently get things going with lump coal and then add chunks of wood (the bag stuff from Lowes, ie, Hickory, Apple, etc chunks). I continue to add chunks as the main fuel source for the first couple of hours during a smoke (ribs or brisket), then I tend to just add more lump to try and maintain my temps. Am I doing this wrong, or is what I am doing okay?.

You got the right idea.........

This winter I am going to cut some trees on my property so I can have "splits" to cook with, but I am no tree expert and trying to figure out what type of trees I have might prove difficult. I am pretty sure most of my trees are oak and hickory.

I would use caution trying to burn sticks in the char-griller, it is very thin metal when compared to a real firebox, and it is not really designed to house a fire.

pbj
09-17-2013, 03:13 PM
I use splits in my Chargriller with no problem

hamiltont
09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I feel your pain... I have/had a Chargriller Offset Smoker. It's now a grill and works much. much better in that role. The neighbor converted the old firebox to a portable grill. That works pretty darn good too, as a grill... I tried ALL the mods. I even added a IQ-110 Temperature Controller to it. That helped some but it was still plagued with huge temp swings. The best way I found to actually cook on it was to add fully lit chimneys of lump charcoal about every hour or so. YMMV Cheers!!!

Lockon
09-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Ummm....yeah....I am currently researching new "professional" smokers. I really want one on a trailer, but not sure I want to drop that kind of coin

hamiltont
09-17-2013, 03:45 PM
You don't have to buy a smoker on a trailer. A UDS or WSM will run circles around the Chargriller Offset, IMO...Cheers!!!

oldbill
09-17-2013, 04:04 PM
I have a Char-Griller that I did some mods to (extended the smoke stack to grate level, turned the pan upside down as a quasi heat deflector, modified the offset fuel chamber with a raised grate, etc). I currently get things going with lump coal and then add chunks of wood (the bag stuff from Lowes, ie, Hickory, Apple, etc chunks). I continue to add chunks as the main fuel source for the first couple of hours during a smoke (ribs or brisket), then I tend to just add more lump to try and maintain my temps. Am I doing this wrong, or is what I am doing okay? This winter I am going to cut some trees on my property so I can have "splits" to cook with, but I am no tree expert and trying to figure out what type of trees I have might prove difficult. I am pretty sure most of my trees are oak and hickory.
What you're doing is fine but I would go to splits instead of chunks. Splits will do a better job of maintaining the coal bed and you won't have to add any lump during the cook. Any of the hardwoods such as oak and pecan or fruit woods such as apple or peach are fine to use, just stay away from soft wood such as pine or cedar. You'll probably average a split every 45 min. or so and after playing with it you should be able to get a pretty consistent temperature in your cooker. Just make sure she's drafting good, keep the exhaust wide open and the intake only 1/2 to 1/3 open. If you have to close the intake any more than 1/3 open your fire is too big. A small, hot wood fire is the ticket for the thin blue in an offset.:wink:

oldbill
09-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Ummm....yeah....I am currently researching new "professional" smokers. I really want one on a trailer, but not sure I want to drop that kind of coin
My advice to you on this matter is this. IF YOU HAVE A REAL PASSION for learning and doing this, then save your money and buy a good solidly built cooker. I started with a NB offset and it was great to learn on but it took me as far as it could but eventually I made the decision to get a good pit and it was the best decision I ever made. Going from my NB to the pit that I now cook on was like going from a Ford Pinto to a Lexus! Some guys are passionate about and spend thousands of $ on cars, with some guys it's golf, some guys even collect vintage toys but we are passionate about cooking BBQ and if blessed with the means to do so, we should afford ourselves the opportunity to cook on quality equipment. I believe that our maker gives us passion for things for a reason and we should realize our potentials in whatever those things are. You live once, don't talk yourself out of being happy while you're here!:wink:

Skip
09-17-2013, 04:40 PM
I agree that you should think about staying cheaper and buying something proven. The WSM would be my suggestions. Its probably the easiest unit to go 0-60 with. The learning curve is slight and this forum will fill in the spaces.

As for your chargriller don't give up on her. Do try small splits instead of the chunk wood. Thats more just a flavor piece for lump. Its dried artificially more then likely. I found my chargriller choked on its ash quickly and fabricated a tool to sweep the bottom. If not my temps would fluctuate

Big George's BBQ
09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
You are going to want to age that cut wood or you will have some nasty tasting meat
You also can do a UDS- youn can get the kit throughh Big Poppa Smokers. The WSM is great My son loves his

Bludawg
09-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Keep on keepin on but Splits are the way to go I run 1 split about every 40-45 min to maintain 300
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0015.jpg

Dauvis
09-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, how long are your splits?

peeps
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Keep on keepin on but Splits are the way to go I run 1 split about every 40-45 min to maintain 300
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0015.jpgHonk honkkkkk!!! Who put their damn smoker in the road???? :D

Skip
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Tree identification is easy. Take your phone out and take pictures of the leaves of the trees you are thinking of cutting. Put a marker on the trees that are the same and link the picture to the code. When you figure out which is which you can then stack them accordingly.

Have you stacked wood before?

Jayblefty
09-17-2013, 04:58 PM
You don't have to buy a smoker on a trailer. A UDS or WSM will run circles around the Chargriller Offset, IMO...Cheers!!!
I will vouch for that statement!!! I have a char griller with a side fire box I ran with for a few years and I havent used it since i built my UDS...

Lockon
09-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Tree identification is easy. Take your phone out and take pictures of the leaves of the trees you are thinking of cutting. Put a marker on the trees that are the same and link the picture to the code. When you figure out which is which you can then stack them accordingly.

Have you stacked wood before?

Link the code to what? I have never stacked wood before, but my wife bought me a kick azz chain saw and have downed a few. I just cut the trees up in sections and hauled them away with my tractor. I guess I am going to have to rent a log splitter?

Damn True
09-17-2013, 05:52 PM
You got the right idea.........

I would use caution trying to burn sticks in the char-griller, it is very thin metal when compared to a real firebox, and it is not really designed to house a fire.

Hence the perforation in my CG firebox and resultant purchase of a lang.

Bludawg
09-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Link the code to what? I have never stacked wood before, but my wife bought me a kick azz chain saw and have downed a few. I just cut the trees up in sections and hauled them away with my tractor. I guess I am going to have to rent a log splitter?
Log Splitter,.... Log Splitter you changin your name to Nancy:razz: Use an Splittin Mawl, stack a few old tires up drop you logs in the middle and swing away great for revealin stress & workin off the add BBQ calories and no gas to buy and nothing to return.

Lockon
09-17-2013, 07:36 PM
lol...I am not as tough as you Bludawg :icon_smile_tongue:

jeffturnerjr
09-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Youre doing it right.
Make sure you age/season your wood 9-12 months.
What is your goal/mission in this BBQ disease we all have? Competitions? Big cooks? Catering? Backyard Grilling? Thatscatleast a start on what to purchase.

Lockon
09-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Jeff,

My goal / mission is to cook good bbq for family and friends. Then move do neighborhood / church type bbq functions (not for profit) and if I ever get the "nads" I would like to some day maybe do a local or small competition. I also have a burning desire for some reason to do a whole hog :crazy: