PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my dried peppers

mvk2604
04-11-2006, 07:40 PM
I bought a package of dried peppers and when I went to use them (grind them in a coffee grinder) I find them to be like leather (not totally dried).
Now I dont remember when I bought them if they were this way or not.
Chances are they didnt pick up moisture in my cupboards as we live in
Colorado and it is DRY.......

The question is can I just pop these in the oven at say 200 degrees and
finish the job? and hopefully not get some freaky mold problem or such.

I could just toss these and buy another but I wish to learn something about drying.( just be warned ...this doesnt mean I CAN learn anything, old dogs and all that nonsense.)

Thanks in advance.
Marty

jgh1204
04-11-2006, 08:33 PM
A lot of the dried peppers I get are that way.

Here is Alton Brown's recipe for chili powder. He recommends toasting in an iron skillet.

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.
Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

ZILLA
04-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I put mine on a cookie sheet in a low oven 250 for 15-20 min or so. They grind right up. I also pass em through a sieve.

The Woodman
04-12-2006, 06:08 AM
That is really how they are supposed to be. If they are brittle, then they are too dry! Toast them and grind. If they are leathery, then they still have some essential oils! Wood

Kevin
04-12-2006, 07:08 AM
That is really how they are supposed to be. If they are brittle, then they are too dry! Toast them and grind. If they are leathery, then they still have some essential oils! Wood

Yep. If they are totaly dry when you buy them, they're old stock. Just toast as has been suggested.