PDA

View Full Version : Cooking for Easter

capnamerca
04-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Probably 3 racks of pork ribs, and two whole chickens. This will be my second cook. Going to go 3-2 on the ribs (can't do the last 1 back into the smoker, we're changing locations) and 3-1 or so on the chickens. Wish me luck!

Kevin
04-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Don't the "rules of life" require an Easter ham? Which also requires deviled eggs, grean bean casserole, corn bread stuffing, scalloped corn? Just commenting. Each family has there own traditions.

Kevin
04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
That sounded kind of crass. Did not mean that. Just love to cook for the family!

bbqjoe
04-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I thoght Easter was a leg of lamb thing.

qman
04-10-2006, 07:47 PM
You are right Kevin. The rules of life do seem to demand a ham for easter, at least in the culture I grew up in. As our familes get more diverse and complicated, the rules change: but it seems that what we do is just add more, instead of leaving anything off. Our extended family now expects a ham, a leg of lamb prepared somehow-preferably by me- and a beef roast. Then we have to have all the traditional sides for each of the meats. Then each branch of the family has their required desserts, and it is not Easter [or Thanksgiving, or Christmas] unless they are on the table.
However, since we have a lot of good cooks in the family, it is no real hardship to make all this happen, and I love the time together with everyone.
This year, I am getting a pass on all cooking for Easter, since I am mostly im-mobilized with a cast on my leg. So I will get to sit around and tell everyone what they are doing wrong:-D

Bigmista
04-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Don't the "rules of life" require an Easter ham? Which also requires deviled eggs, grean bean casserole, corn bread stuffing, scalloped corn? Just commenting. Each family has there own traditions.

Exactly how small a knife do you need to scallop a kernel of corn?

Sledneck
04-10-2006, 08:40 PM
In my family its always a spit roasted lamb. I am breaking tradition since its at my house this year. 1 Brisket, 6 rack ribs, chicken, and cevapcici(chevapchichi)

capnamerca
04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
My family loves their ham, but aren't tied to it for tradition's sake. We'll probably order one for Thanksgiving this year, since the last few years have been fried turkey. However, since I offered to do the "heavy lifting" for the main course this year, mom was more than happy to let me pick the dish :).

tommykendall
04-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Hard boiled eggs myself. Might even smoke them. :mrgreen:

qman
04-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Hard boiled eggs myself. Might even smoke them. :mrgreen:

You go tk------just don't let your Easter feast get TOO complicated.:roll:

tommykendall
04-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Well I did ribs yesterday and since I ain't going to Jamaica till Monday mon, I'll do a brisket on Saturday.

Jeff_in_KC
04-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Road Show begins! Six slabs of BBs, two dozen thighs, two briskets and 4 butts. Also will be putting on a few fatties, brats and some of Stans' Jalapeno, cheese and shrimp "snacks" wrapped in bacon! I have no idea what the wife's cooking for the family on Sunday.

kickassbbq
04-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Easter??? I am smoking 6 Rabbits. The little kids don't like them, but I do. It's a traditional time of year for these little critters I take advantage of it.
Party!!!!
Smoke On!!!!

Kevin
04-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Exactly how small a knife do you need to scallop a kernel of corn?

Did see the karate kid catch the fly with chop sticks?
Or maybe a Japanese chef with the knives flying?

That's what I look like when I scallop corn.

Kevin (AKA Mr. Miyagi)

BBQ_MAFIA
04-11-2006, 11:21 AM
We always start the meal with a little pasta and then move on the other dishes. For the main course it's probably going to be a prime rib this year.

Guido

Bill-Chicago
04-11-2006, 11:44 AM
We pick up our ham from Boston Market

Jorge
04-11-2006, 12:29 PM
If I don't cook one, I'll buy a couple on sale for the freezer. Leave it in the cooker just long enough for a little smoke. Slice part on the slicer, some thin for sammiches, some thicker for other dishes. Hard to beat a grilled ham and cheese sammich with Habanero Mustard From Hell, good Pepper Jack cheese, and vine ripened tomatoes.

brdbbq
04-11-2006, 12:30 PM
with Habanero Mustard From Hell, good Pepper Jack cheese, and vine ripened tomatoes.

Where you getting the mustard ?

Bill-Chicago
04-11-2006, 03:15 PM

Southwest Specialty Foods, same place as that Steak Sauce from Hell I sent you.

Check the links section, it use to be there.

brdbbq
04-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Southwest Specialty Foods, same place as that Steak Sauce from Hell I sent you.

Check the links section, it use to be there.

Steak sauce was good chit.

Jorge
04-11-2006, 04:08 PM

Or check with Central Market. I can find it there now and then. If I can't they will order it.

TexasGuppie
04-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Easter??? I am smoking 6 Rabbits. The little kids don't like them, but I do. It's a traditional time of year for these little critters I take advantage of it.
Party!!!!
Smoke On!!!!

I thought about having rabbit myself but the price at the pet store for rabbits was outrageous. We got little chickies instead. Gonna stand 'em up on little cans of apple juice and do 'em beer-butt style.

Ken (no kids at home to upset.)

Just teasin'. Happy Easter everyone!:-P

Bill-Chicago
04-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Steak sauce was good chit.

Not to go too off topic here, but since this is a Seasonal thread, it might get alot of hits.

Just a reminder to those newer members that have bookmarked directly to the forum, don't forget the "Our Homepage" link at the top left of the forum, where there are recipes, photos, brethren stuff, and links.

The Mustard From Hell stuff is linked as Ass Kicking Sauces here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index&req=viewlink&cid=4

Plenty of other good links on this page too.

Now, back to Easter.

Kevin
04-11-2006, 06:27 PM
I believe willkat is correct in assuming this thread may get hit a lot.
If you're doing a ham, check out the "Brethren pork" in the recipe section of this sight.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=125&category=*BBQ%20BRETHREN%20PORK*
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=125&category=*BBQ%20BRETHREN%20PORK*

JohnMcD348
04-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Road Show begins! Six slabs of BBs, two dozen thighs, two briskets and 4 butts. Also will be putting on a few fatties, brats and some of Stans' Jalapeno, cheese and shrimp "snacks" wrapped in bacon! I have no idea what the wife's cooking for the family on Sunday.
Hey you got any pics or instructions for those "snacks". I've been looking for a battered and fried version for a couple of years now. The local Beef O'Brady's(family sports bar) has them and it's about the only thing me and the wife agree on in the culinary world.

I'd love to try and make some on Fri/Sat when I do my brisket.

evilpsych
04-12-2006, 05:03 PM
well.. i'm doing a turkey breast (that reminds me.. lemme take it outta the deep freeze) and the wife is heating up a spiral sliced ham..

Unless.. of course.. there's the possibility of double-smoking that ham with a little cherry glaze.. :shock:

what say you guys?

BrooklynQ
04-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Duck, Turkey, Fatties and some deviled easter eggs.
I haven't figured out the side dishes yet

kcquer
04-12-2006, 11:08 PM
I've been on a reduced sodium diet since the first of the year. I haven't had a spec of deli meats, bacon, ham or sausage since Christmas:shock: (total fatty withdrawal mod:cry: )

We're having ham for Easter dinner, I will be eating some, but I'm throwing on a pork loin too, so I can feast on it and keep my sodium intake reasonable.

kcquer
04-15-2006, 01:17 PM
I've been on a reduced sodium diet since the first of the year. I haven't had a spec of deli meats, bacon, ham or sausage since Christmas:shock: (total fatty withdrawal mod:cry: )

We're having ham for Easter dinner, I will be eating some, but I'm throwing on a pork loin too, so I can feast on it and keep my sodium intake reasonable.

The Mrs called the kids to tell them what time dinner was tomorrow and nobody wanted Easter ham:sad: , they all wanted BBQ:-D

So it's pork loin and baby back ribs with beans, slaw, cheesy potatos and buttery corn for Easter dinner. I'll be the smokey smelling cook with the bigass grin:-D :-D

kcquer
04-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Pork loin is on being gently caressed by the thin blue fingers of peach and apple smoke.
The ribs are rubbed and awaiting their turn. It's a beautiful day, sunny and 70 already.
I hope everyone else is enjoying the day as much as I am!