PDA

View Full Version : Using Splenda for Sauce and Rubs

Charcoal_Addict
09-12-2013, 10:10 PM
This could be controversial. Rubs and sauces are a critical part of any great Q. There's also a concern about looking at ways to decrease the amount of calories being consumed in meals.

I'm looking at different alternatives for cutting the calorie count in my sauces and rubs. Sometimes honey can be used as a alternative and it has a decent impact on reducing the calories aswell as having some natural benefits. It only works for certain sauces.

Right now I'm looking at Spenda brown and white sugars as an option to replace sugar in rub and sauces. I wanted to discuss what the benefits and negatives of using Spenda as a sugar alternative in rubs and sauces.

As long you remember to cut the amounts by 1/2 depending the Spenda brand you're using you're usually fine.

http://m.splenda.com/cooking-baking/conversion-charts

I've tried in sauces without any impact on the flavor. Side by side it's hard to tell them apart. Rub may be a different story. Spenda is much lighter and less dense than sugar. I'm wondering how this may impact the cook if Spenda is used to replace sugar in run recipe?

trambone
09-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Splenda is an interesting product. Its safe to use in cooking up to like 450 degree Fahrenheit. Its made from sugar or derived from it. I'd be very interested to see how it works in a rub.

popeye
09-12-2013, 10:25 PM
as for me .... DON'T DO IT . YOU WILL LOOSE FLAVORS SUGAR IS A PART OF EVERY THING . iF YOU HAVE TO DO IT . CUT DOWN ON THE AMOUNT . jUST SAYING

16Adams
09-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Google "Splenda health"

The articles may help you make a decision

jeffturnerjr
09-12-2013, 10:31 PM
hey charcoal_addict, I would say that you are doing something cool. First, I'd say just try it and see how it turns out! Second, I have tried the Splenda brown sugar blend and it's really good. I think you could use it in a replacement.

IF you try it, let us know how it turns out!

Packmanjim
09-12-2013, 11:08 PM
I don't use or drink anything with artificial sweetener in it, on purpose anyway. There is nothing better than a little sugar.

Charcoal_Addict
09-13-2013, 12:37 AM
I'm also researching natural alternatives make meals healthier as well. Like anything moderation is required but white sugar is far less healthy than...

- Cane Sugar
- Honey
- Maple Syrup

All of these can make great sauces and rubs. It's always possible to look at cutting back on the amount of sugar you put in rubs. Sometime a little goes a long way.

I have been reading up on Spenda and I have my concerns with the artificial sweeteners as well.

Pappy
09-13-2013, 06:10 AM
I have use brown sugar spenda almost all of the time for sauces & rubs. I do not reduce the amount the recipes called for. Works just fine.

AtlGator
09-13-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm looking at different alternatives for cutting the calorie count in my sauces and rubs.

I mean, this is BBQ, right? Ribs, brisket, pork shoulders, etc... and you're fretting over the caloric content of a few ounces of sauce? :doh:

IamMadMan
09-13-2013, 06:26 AM
I just find it easier to use a thinner savory sauce which I make with less sugar than to use the thick sticky sweet sauces.

The thinner sauces actually have much more flavor and enhance the flavor of the meat, rather than cover it up..

chingador
09-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Try stevia or an alcohol sugar (xylitol) instead

Bily Lovec
09-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Try stevia or an alcohol sugar (xylitol) instead

I use a lot of stevia, I'll bring some back from my trips to Bolivia ;)
they stuff sold here is normally cut too heavily with maltrodextrine.

careful w/sugar alcohols, they can cause a case of the sharts if over used.

splenda is prolly the safest artifical sweetners ever developed.
googling anything will bring you whatever results you desire.

thunter
09-13-2013, 07:02 AM
I have used both white and brown splenda and they both work great! Just try it for yourself and see if it works for you. We all have our ideas about things, but what is important is your approval of the product you are producing. Give it a try, and what the heck, if you don't like it, don't use it. :-D

fantomlord
09-13-2013, 08:09 AM
I use a lot of stevia, I'll bring some back from my trips to Bolivia ;)
they stuff sold here is normally cut too heavily with maltrodextrine.

careful w/sugar alcohols, they can cause a case of the sharts if over used.

splenda is prolly the safest artifical sweetners ever developed.
googling anything will bring you whatever results you desire.

I would also suggest steering clear of splenda...as for non-maltodextrin heavy stevia, try this brand:

http://www.sweetleaf.com/

we use it at my house, and it works great. none of the off flavors you get from the maltodextrin blends

HookEcho
09-13-2013, 08:31 AM
As a Diabetic, id be curious to the results. I try to cut as much sugar (and carbs) out of my diet, although having a salty, savory, crunchy fetish this is really farking hard.

When it comes to "Q"....I say screw it, no one get out of this thing alive anyway.....

BMCSRET
09-13-2013, 08:48 AM
I thought we weren't allowed to say the C word in here and there it is, he said Calories...

Charcoal_Addict
09-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Part the fun is the challenge. I'm hoping to figure some new creative recipes by trying different things.

For my first pork butt I made 3 different sauces before I found the one I liked. I'm looking at this an opportunity try some new things.

mtbchip
09-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Splenda on Q=Margerine on Q

Just does not compute............

boaz65
09-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Would it affect the type and color of the bark? Doesn't the majority of the bark come from the caramelization of the sugar? Would "barked" Splenda taste the same? Interesting for sure...

bbqmike_ny
09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Splenda on Q=Margerine on Q

Just does not compute............
tell that to all the parkay lovers.

bbqmike_ny
09-13-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm trying a few different types, regular splenda mixes seem to be high in maltrodextrin so I'm trying some stevia based ones, wife got a jar of raw stevia from trader joes. I'm using it mostly for iced tea, which I drink a lot of. You can also use agave, you have to try the various darknesses as they taste very different. I like the darker ones, they have a more maple flavor.

jaymind
09-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Try googling Tagatose. Works really well in everything I've tried.