PDA

View Full Version : Closed-head drum for UDS?

charrederhead
09-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Getting ready for some simple builds. The tamale pot is on its way for a Mini WSM, so now I'm looking for a UDS drum. Other than the extra step of cutting the top and sanding around the edge, is there a reason not to use one? Are open-head drums a heavier gauge?

Also, if any Brethren know of a source for drums in western CT, please let me know.

TIA.

ChuckD
09-11-2013, 06:40 PM
I picked my first one up at a scrap yard down in New Haven and the second one at a scrap yard over in Wolcott; there are usually a couple laying around at the scrap yards in various conditions. I bartered mine for some other scrap is all.

Fwismoker
09-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Two of the best smokers in the world. The closed head you'll have to grind the lip off to pop the top but works. Yea check the salvage recyclers for some open top.

El Ropo
09-11-2013, 08:36 PM
All you need to get the top off a closed drum is a cold chisel and a hammer. A set of ear plugs would be a bonus, as the banging sound can get pretty loud.

HAndyman
09-11-2013, 08:50 PM
I used a reciprocating saw (sawzall) to get mine off. I can't comment on gauges, but mines pretty thin (closed top)

funugy
09-11-2013, 10:17 PM
I used a reciprocating saw (sawzall) to get mine off. I can't comment on gauges, but mines pretty thin (closed top)

Me too. And the bonus is that the Weber lies fit perfect without any mods.:thumb: