PDA

View Full Version : Smoking salmon for later this week

vadermanion
09-10-2013, 09:17 AM
I've never smoked salmon before so this is a first for me. I'd like to server some smoked salmon on Sunday to go along with a meal of pulled pork. One of my friends will eat fish but doesn't eat pork, beef or chicken. I don't have time on Sunday to fire up the smoker so I'm looking to do the smoking tomorrow.

Has anyone smoked salmon and then served it later? If so, did you re-heat it or server it cold/room temperature?

Thermal Mass
09-10-2013, 09:30 AM
This will get you started...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163601&highlight=salmon

I wrap in newspaper, refrigerate and serve cold.

You can also use the site specific Google search bar at the bottom of the page. :thumb:

vadermanion
09-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks. I had searched first but didn't find what I was looking for about serving.

smokin'matt
09-10-2013, 01:36 PM
You're in for a treat. I smoke a salmon almost every week. Whole fish, sides or steaks are great when done in a smoker or on a kettle grill. Just remember to be gentle with it. Smoked salmon is one of those left-overs that are just as good served warm or cold (as if we ever have any left over salmon :loco:). Since you seem to be serving it as a main course for your friend who doesn't eat the pork you're serving, I would serve it to him warm. I would smoke it with alder at 200-225 * for about 3 hours (ymmv, keep an eye on it!). Skin side down right on the grill rack unless your're smoking steaks in which case put the steaks on some parchment paper. I like to pull the pin bones before I smoke filets. If you're doing a whole fish let me know and I'll get you some different instructions. I typically don't use a rub or anything fancy on our salmon. Just a little dill and some cracked black pepper. Let the alder do the work and taste the freshness of the fish. You aren't smoking this thing to preserve it for the winter or to make salmon jerky. You're making a fish dinner. When it's firm but not yet flaking, pull it from the smoke, allow to cool, wrap in plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge. It will keep for several days if you can keep the family away from it. When it's time to serve, you can either warm it on the smoker or a kettle until it's heated through or put it in a warm (250*-ish) oven to finish. If you and your friend like salmon, keep the sauces and extras away and enjoy some fine tasting fish.

And thanks for posting. I just figured out what we're having for dinner tonight! :grin:

GARNAAL
09-10-2013, 04:04 PM
on the Q on a piece of wood (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-m0CUh1EVLrNDE3MzE4YjgtZDQzMi00N2FlLThkMmMtMTE5MTQ4 MDFkODVl/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1) ??

oifmarine2003
09-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Here is one batch of smoked salmon I made for a throwdown a few weeks back. It was pretty tasty. The recipe for the brine is at the end of the comments.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167829

TroyA65
09-10-2013, 08:18 PM
I also smoke Salmon frequently and I agree with much of what Matt said. However, I do have a difference of opinion / taste on several points. I find that alder provides minimal smoke flavor, they use it extensively in the northwest because the fish they catch have a higher fat content and absorb more smoke. Considering your location, I assume you are buying your fish, so if you are buying "wild" salmon use alder. If you are buying farm raised or you caught it in one of the great lakes, I prefer to use a combination of hickory and cherry. The black pepper is great, I apply fresh cracked pepper after the pellicle has formed and just before you put it on the smoker. If you are not familiar with brining (and you had better be if you're smoking fish) or the formation of a pellicle, message me I we can discuss in more detail. As far as time and temperature, I will quote Bludawg the great and wise:wink: "you can't cook but time and temp." however you can use I.T. with fish, at least salmon. I pull my fish off the smoker at 145-150F IT regardless of time. I would expect you would be at that temp in less that 3 hours at the 200-225F cook temp. I have not done what you are proposing, but I would take your fish to 135F let cool, wrap, and refrig. until ready to serve the reheat as Matt has described. I will also say that if you have a tail piece you don't have to worry about the bones. If you don't have a tail piece then the bones pull very easy after you smoke the fish.

I absolutely love smoked salmon fresh off the smoker while it is still warm, nothing better.

Good Luck!!

Flat_Rate
09-10-2013, 10:08 PM
The definitive guide for smoking salmon, perfection every time.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1995/02/seafood-dry-cure-for-salmon-trout-or.html