PDA

View Full Version : Not a good day out there in the NE .......

Qczar
04-08-2006, 10:23 AM
A bit breezy, cool, and rain. Just not what I had hoped for. I have my Bandera under an umbrella to at least keep the rain off. Thought it was just going to drizzle a bit and be cloudy. So I`ve been coking for about 5 hours now and my smoker temps are just feaking me out. Any where from 215º lower racks to only 120º upper. I`ve been feeding lump. a few Kingsford and wood like I have never before. Thought It was just the coolness of the meats at first, but this is too long now.

rbsnwngs
04-08-2006, 10:40 AM
same here having trouble getting it up above 200 have everything at other end of smoker close to fire box

Kevin
04-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Qczar, If you have room, put the meat towards the bottom. Take an empty shelf and cover it with foil. Tear off a 4 inch or so semi circle on the side opposite the fire box to allow air flow. Place this shelf just above the meat you are cooking. Less cubic inches to heat. If you're dera is full you can do this as things get done and you do have room.

It works.

Edit: Just don't crowd everything and hinder the air flow. Not that I've done that! Have too.

kcquer
04-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Sounds like you guys have that crappy weather that kills the draft in a cooker. I'm not sure what the exact conditions are that cause this but barometric pressure and humidity are probably major contributors.

On the farm, we used to identify this phenomenon by observing the smoke from the chimney (wood stove in the house) going down the side of the chimney a ways before rising. The old timers used to say this was a sure sign of impending rain, guess you're into the rain already.

When these conditions come together, I've found that you can't get heat, you can't get heat and then after adding waaayyy more fuel than you're used to you eventually end up with too much heat, when you try to reign it in, you end up with not enough heat again. Very frustrating.

Best of luck!!

thirdeye
04-08-2006, 12:06 PM
A bit breezy, cool, and rain. Just not what I had hoped for. I have my Bandera under an umbrella to at least keep the rain off. Thought it was just going to drizzle a bit and be cloudy. So I`ve been coking for about 5 hours now and my smoker temps are just feaking me out. Any where from 215º lower racks to only 120º upper. I`ve been feeding lump. a few Kingsford and wood like I have never before. Thought It was just the coolness of the meats at first, but this is too long now.

I use an umbrella too. But it's for the cook, not the cooker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/4046170e.jpg

Qczar
04-08-2006, 12:51 PM
I got this thing packed. At the bottom I had about 10 leg/thigh qtrs, then the two beef roasts and a sm but above that on the 2nd shelf, then 3 elephant eggs (huge fatties) on the 3rd shelf up, and the two dino racks on the 4 shelf. I covered the top meats with a heavy foil to act as a shield to keep the heat down. Just a bad day at sea. Folks, is there any reason the Q would come out bad if I just kept smoking at these lower temps until done?

The Woodman
04-08-2006, 02:26 PM
We've got sun, wind , and 38 degrees! The Indians /Twins game ougtta be "brisk" at 5:05 today!:wink: I just finished spplitting about 1/2 cord of apple. Also, I just sent a check off to the powers that be in charge of the Michigan Cook-Off at Grand Rapids. Cavs are playing the Nets tough right now but Jason Kidd gives us fits! Woody