PDA

View Full Version : Pulling by temp?

pc132
09-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Almost at the end of my first brisket. IT in the middle of the point is at 201. IT at part closest to heat source (smokenator) is around 205, maybe more. It's very probe tender at the point, almost probe tender at the flat.

I know I should pull when it all probes tender, but I'm afraid of letting the point go too far and losing the tenderness there. I know lots of people say to ignore temp and pull when probe tender....but I'm feeling the urge to pull based on temp.

Am I in danger of overcooking? What happens if I do. My eye is telling me to pull based on temp, but my hands say to wait a little more! What to do?

(brisket has been on for 11 hrs at avg 250ish)

LMAJ
09-02-2013, 09:13 AM
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!!

Pull by feel, not internal temp.

The point has a lot more fat and will be fine.

Ron_L
09-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Probe the thickest part of the flat. When that is tender then it is time to take it off for a nice rest.

pc132
09-02-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm gonna try!

2 more questions: Is there a temp at which I should pull no matter that? I think it starts to fall apart if you overcook, right? I can deal with that, since I'd rather err on the side of too tender than too tough.

IamMadMan
09-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Probe the thickest part of the flat. When that is tender then it is time to take it off for a nice rest.

^ +1 Agree....

El Ropo
09-02-2013, 09:54 AM
If it hasn't already been stressed enough, ignore the point and probe thickest part of the flat. Point will take care of its self.

mobow
09-02-2013, 09:58 AM
What they all have said. That last bit of wait can be hard to resist. Be strong and persevere. Keith

Bludawg
09-02-2013, 10:27 AM
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast

LMAJ
09-02-2013, 02:12 PM
OK - how's it going??? Done by now I assume?