PDA

View Full Version : Gathered some meat for the smoker

thillin
04-06-2006, 04:43 PM
The spawn is on in N. TX. All but 2 were filleted. Scaled 2 for the smoker. Will try with a simple brine, and go from there. Got these this morning before the short rain moved in about 11. Gotta love not even having to take the boat out.
Ty

BrooklynQ
04-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Ok. I'll bite - what are they? I don't see any cyrovac.

thillin
04-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Ok. I'll bite - what are they? I don't see any cyrovac.

Crappie! Up north, some call them white perch or something like that. Not sold like Tilapia. All white meat, and very low fat content. About the best eating freshwater fish. Most of these will have a date with some cornmeal and hot grease.

Kevin
04-06-2006, 06:30 PM
In Minnesota they are crappie. And I almost agree about the best tasting freshwater fish there is. I prefer walleye, but damn sure eat a lot of crappie here.

boatnut
04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
mmmm dang..nice bunch of crappie! They are great eating. I've smoked walleye before using a recipe from "smoke n spice" for smoked catfish. turned out pretty good. used the leftovers to make a dip with recipe from same book.

kcquer
04-06-2006, 07:47 PM
ty, great lookin' stringer!! I just ate and the idea of a few of those fillets in beer batter is makin' me hungry all over again!!

cmcadams
04-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I thought you said meat! Boy was I disappointed... though if you want to send a few my way after smoking, let me know!

ciret
04-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Ya gonna cold smoke em or hot smoke em?

Sledneck
04-06-2006, 08:04 PM
In Minnesota they are crappie. And I almost agree about the best tasting freshwater fish there is. I prefer walleye, but damn sure eat a lot of crappie here.

My brother live in MN and we fished for "muskie" crappie and perch

Jeff_in_KC
04-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Hell yeah!!! Nice mess of crappie Ty! With such low fat content, I don't know how well they'll take to smoking but good luck with that! Now I'm dreaming about crappie fried up in cornmeal! Mmmm...

Ron_L
04-06-2006, 08:34 PM

I'll see your walleye and raise you a yellow perch... I agree that walleye is the best, but fresh yellow perch are close, then followed closely by crappie!

Nice catch, Ty!

Kevin
04-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Perch are great, but cleaning them suckers dulls your knife so much I just quit keeping them. They got skin like sand paper, and bones made of iron.

Bill-Chicago
04-06-2006, 09:01 PM
So my Southern Brethren, looking at his stringer, is "brim" the same as "crappie" or is brim bluegill or something.

Many years of Hank Parker and whats his name (not Jimmy Houston. Tom something) and they always say Brim

FatDad
04-06-2006, 09:12 PM
So my Southern Brethren, looking at his stringer, is "brim" the same as "crappie" or is brim bluegill or something.

Many years of Hank Parker and whats his name (not Jimmy Houston. Tom something) and they always say Brim

Brim, Bluegill, Perch.....are pretty much the same, just different size
and colors.
Crappie are larger and have a big mouth. PLUS....a challenge to locate and catch.

HEY TY...........Thanks for asking me if I wanted to go !

thillin
04-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Brim, Bluegill, Perch.....are pretty much the same, just different size
and colors.
Crappie are larger and have a big mouth. PLUS....a challenge to locate and catch.

HEY TY...........Thanks for asking me if I wanted to go !

You were probably working! I decided to go at 11pm last night. Left the house at 6:15am. I might go again Wed. Not sure if I'll take the boat out or hit the same bank spot. I can tell ya where to go and what to use.

TexasGuppie
04-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Um...I have a designated Crappie rod and all my own tackle if um...you know...you need someone to chat with (quietly) or bring the beer or somethin'.

Ken (lost the boat in the first divorce...YES, there was more than one.)

tommykendall
04-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Some of those look like white perch or white bass and not crappie. Could be the glare/lighting

417bullelk
04-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Nice catch thil. Must of had a "boatload" of fun catching those!!

FatDaddy
04-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Man i love crappie fishing. bout 11 years ago we took 88 keepers out of lake brownwood in one morning. all at one dock. best time i ever had. Now that im up in wichita falls, i live botu 10mi from lake arrowhead, think ill go when i get off in the morning, good little spot underneath a bridge i can go sit under.. ITS ON!!!

Jeff_in_KC
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Nothing like feeling that little "tick" or "thump" and setting the hook! I love crappie fishing better than any other kinda fishing! Never use minnows though... jigs only here!

Jorge
04-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Pop-in-law and his two brothers are on the lake at least one day a week, and they only fish for crappie. They do some great fish fries. Spin casting I prefer to fish for bass, but I've never turned down an invite to one of their fish fries!

jt
04-07-2006, 09:57 AM
My favorite from lakes & ponds is largemouth bass as well, but bluegill & crappie put up a great fight!

Mostly do fly-fishing for rainbows these days.

thillin
04-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Some of those look like white perch or white bass and not crappie. Could be the glare/lighting

All white crappie. Some lakes around have white crappie as well as black crappie.

thillin
04-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Brought home 15 more this morning. Not as big though. FatDad you missed out. Maybe next time.

FatDad
04-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Brought home 15 more this morning. Not as big though. FatDad you missed out. Maybe next time.

I should have went with you.
Work sucked today.