PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question regarding "saltiness"

ramman999
08-28-2013, 12:31 PM
First off, I enjoy reading the forums here and after lurking a bit decided to join - very new to all of this, but enjoy it and trying to improve with every cook.. I tried to use a search before I posted this but could not find anything.

I had two very different results following one of the Chris Lilly recipes for rub and injection on the first 2 butts I've smoked which baffles me - first one came out great, next one was very salty tasting.

Followed the measurements exactly with a few changes both times:

1. added a little rub to the injection mix
2. Added Mustard Seed to rub
3. Used Hungarian Paprika for rub
4. rubbed the butt with worcestershire sauce prior to using mustard for rub application

Both cooked same way, both pulled great..

I've read some places about cutting back the salt on the Lilly recipe because of saltiness, but since I didn't have bad results on the first go round I didn't think it was that - maybe quality of meat? First one was Publix, second was Walmart.

I'm baffled but determined to figure out what needs to change - any thoughts or ideas?

marubozo
08-28-2013, 12:37 PM
maybe quality of meat? First one was Publix, second was Walmart.

If you didn't change the amount of salt in the rub, I think this is likely your problem. Did you happen to take note if the meat from walmart was "enhanced?"

Some places sell enhanced pork, which ultimately means it has been injected with a solution which is high in salt content in an attempt to make it juicier and less likely to dry out for the average consumer. So, if you happened to get an enhanced butt for your second go and it came out overly salty, that would most likely explain it.

IamMadMan
08-28-2013, 12:49 PM
First off, I enjoy reading the forums here and after lurking a bit decided to join - very new to all of this, but enjoy it and trying to improve with every cook.. I tried to use a search before I posted this but could not find anything.

I had two very different results following one of the Chris Lilly recipes for rub and injection on the first 2 butts I've smoked which baffles me - first one came out great, next one was very salty tasting.

Followed the measurements exactly with a few changes both times:

1. added a little rub to the injection mix
2. Added Mustard Seed to rub
3. Used Hungarian Paprika for rub
4. rubbed the butt with worcestershire sauce prior to using mustard for rub application

Both cooked same way, both pulled great..

I've read some places about cutting back the salt on the Lilly recipe because of saltiness, but since I didn't have bad results on the first go round I didn't think it was that - maybe quality of meat? First one was Publix, second was Walmart.

I'm baffled but determined to figure out what needs to change - any thoughts or ideas?

First Welcome to the forum Newbie....

Next, when you made the rub did you weigh the salt you used. Different types of salt have different sized crystals and cannot accurately measured by volume.. They should be weighed

Adding rub (which contains salt) to an injection also increases the amount of salt in the injection.

The other spices wouldn't effect salt....

Next would be as Marubozo stated, was the meat from Walmart "Enhanced". If so this already contained about a 12% salt solution to help retain moisture and tenderness during cooking.

By injecting and adding rub to an enhanced meat product, you are compounding and increasing the amount of salt used in your cooking process.

Mo-Dave
08-28-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't inject anymore, when I did I did use Chris Lilly's injection a couple times and found I had to cut the salt in half. It will also make a difference if you are using a fine grind salt like a table salt or course sea salt, fine grind is going to put a lot more salt into it. Same goes for rubs which I rarely use anymore, and go with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion power, then make small additions of other things if you like.
Dave

landarc
08-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Worcestershire Sauce is also high is sodium. You added a fair amount more salt when you made those changes.

funugy
08-28-2013, 02:26 PM
If both cooks were identical with the exception of where you purchased the pork I would have to agree with marubozo, one of the cuts of meat may have been "enhanced" or pre-brined with saltwater.

Another thought is did you happen to use more injection or rub the second time around. I have overdone my rub/seasoning on a cook that followed a successful cook. Then on the very next cook, backed way off on the rub so it wasn't too strong, and ended up under seasoning.

chomper's bbq
08-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Did you use French's or Lea and Perrin. Taste test both you'll likely only use Lea and Perrin afterwards.

ramman999
08-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Only lea and perrins for me, goes back to steak, I definitely notice the taste difference. Frenchs yellow mustard (was the only stuff I the house)
Didn't think about the enhanced meat- I do know the first one was not enhanced so that may very well be it.

Salt was kosher coarse grind. I thought about using lemon juice ( I think that's part of the revised recipe now), or wondered if I used a vinegar based sauce it would balance it but I guess I need to pay better attention to the meat! Thanks

IrondeQuer
08-28-2013, 08:03 PM
I found myself cutting the salt volume in most of the rubs I've mixed, especially Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Rub.

Someone, maybe caseydog?, mentioned leaving the salt out altogether. When you're ready, salt the meat like you normally would, let it draw some moisture out, then hit it with the salt-free rub.

I'll be doing that this weekend.