PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Honey glazed brisket recipe

wmrrock
08-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Looking for suggestions for a Honey glazed brisket recipe. I was thinking about coating the brisket with honey then using a simple brown sugar, salt & pepper, sweet paprika rub then basting it with honey every few hours during the smoke. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Big Country BBQ
08-27-2013, 09:38 PM
:tsk:

Beef should taste like beef salt and pepper, leave the sweet stuff to the pork and chicken

Bludawg
08-27-2013, 10:21 PM
:sick::yuck:

KORND4WG X
08-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Maybe something like this?

http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/quick-cook-brisket-flat

I tried it this weekend. Wasn't thrilled with the cooking time / temp (way overdone) but I liked the flavor. I'll try the the paste, rub and wrapping mixture using my regular method soon.

Q-Dat
08-27-2013, 11:08 PM
I think you might have killed Bludawg! :shock:

By all means cook what you like, but you will find that most of the Brethren veer away from sweet stuff when it comes to Brisket. As far as coating it with Honey and then basting it with Honey throughout the cook I wouldn't recommend that. Thats going to be a lot of sugar buildup and you could end up with a black and bitter brisket. The flavor of the honey most likely won't survive the long cook time and smoke exposure. If you really want to glaze it I would only do it about 30 minutes before the end of the cook.

That being said.......its hard to beat a brisket with just salt and pepper :-P

marubozo
08-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Sweet brisket? Might want to try Rachel Ray's or Guy Fieri's website. :twitch:

mikemci
08-27-2013, 11:16 PM
S&P&Smoke..........Save the honey for biscuits.

mikemci
08-27-2013, 11:19 PM

:clap2::clap2::clap2: LOL

wmrrock
08-27-2013, 11:21 PM
Usually do the Salt & Pepper but this is a special occasion - Its for dinner just before Rosh Hashanah and usually the brisket is cooked in the oven with something sweet like cranberries. I am taking a different approach with the smoker so I figured honey glazed. Thanks for the suggestion Q-Dat - will glaze about 30 minutes before.

landarc
08-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Snobs!

I happen to really like corned beef done with a smoky sweet glaze. I prefer to do a standard cook on any meat, then add the glaze late in the cook. Of course, you could add some powdered honey to the rub, but, you almost certainly are going to have too dark of a bark.

I would use a rub along the lines of this.

3 parts kosher salt
1 part medium-fine grind white pepper
1 part chili powder
1/4 part Turbinado sugar

then I would use a glaze of:

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup pale ale

Just glaze that over the meat. An alternate would be to use Coca-cola or root beer, use 1 cup instead of the apple juice and pale ale.

luv2putt
08-27-2013, 11:29 PM
You may want to make a glaze with turbinado sugar as it will not burn like other sugars ...use it as you would brown sugar ... Just a thought...oops looks like landarc beet me to it with the same thoughts !! On that note I concur !!!

luke duke
08-28-2013, 09:18 AM
:crazy:

aawa
08-28-2013, 09:21 AM

Or try Adam Perry Lang's recipe for the honey and brown sugar glaze on a brisket.

deguerre
08-28-2013, 09:38 AM
This is a most wonderful marinade/injection for brisket, and after the marinating/injecting is done, the remainder is reduced to a sauce which can be used as a glaze at the end of the cook. Courtesy of Redhot.

The marinade...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1721520&postcount=42

And the cook...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1724751&postcount=62

The original this evolved from actually came from a brisket recipe for the oven we cut out of the local grocery flyer for a brisket sale - it was originally credited to a Texan, if I remember correctly...:becky:

Substituting honey for some of the brown sugar might actually be good.:idea:

DownHomeQue
08-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Sweet Brisket? I think you mean Ham Hopefully.. lol

deguerre
08-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Sweet Brisket? I think you mean Ham Hopefully.. lol

Yep. Don't knock it 'til you try it though. We never called it BBQ, but there are MANY ways to cook a cow...

Ever find yourself enjoying Asian "BBQ'd" beef?:mrgreen:

wmrrock
08-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Looking for suggestions for a Honey glazed brisket recipe. I was thinking about coating the brisket with honey then using a simple brown sugar, salt & pepper, sweet paprika rub then basting it with honey every few hours during the smoke. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Just to clear things up - this a once a year meal for the Jewish High Holidays. The traditional "Jewish brisket" is usually cooked in the oven almost pot roast style with carrots, onions and even cranberries. I am trying to do things a little different for this year since the jewish Holiday are so early. Rather than the "traditional" I am going for smoked and sweet. I was even thinking about using the traditional method but putting it in the smoker instead of the oven. I will post pictures when done.

Q-Dat
08-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Just to clear things up - this a once a year meal for the Jewish High Holidays. The traditional "Jewish brisket" is usually cooked in the oven almost pot roast style with carrots, onions and even cranberries. I am trying to do things a little different for this year since the jewish Holiday are so early. Rather than the "traditional" I am going for smoked and sweet. I was even thinking about using the traditional method but putting it in the smoker instead of the oven. I will post pictures when done.

Ok I get where you're going with it now. Have you considered using cane syrup instead of honey? It has a rich earthy flavor that may compliment beef better than honey. I have lightly brushed beef ribs with it to finish and that tastes pretty good.

Dauvis
08-28-2013, 10:57 AM

I saw Rachel Ray do a brisket... she boiled it. :tsk:

VoodoChild
08-28-2013, 11:04 AM
I think you might have killed Bludawg! :shock:

By all means cook what you like.......its hard to beat a brisket with just salt and pepper :-P

Gota Love it ..I Cook my Briskit as Bludawg Advises and Life is Good !:clap2:

aawa
08-28-2013, 11:10 AM

I hear that corned beef is boiled also, and it is a brisket.......

There are multiple ways to cook cuts of meat. What you call it however is what makes it right or wrong. You can't boil ribs and call it bbq, just like you can't add chocolate to a sauce and call it mole`

wmrrock
08-30-2013, 05:04 PM

That is just WRONG.

Dauvis
08-30-2013, 05:09 PM
I hear that corned beef is boiled also, and it is a brisket.......

There are multiple ways to cook cuts of meat. What you call it however is what makes it right or wrong. You can't boil ribs and call it bbq, just like you can't add chocolate to a sauce and call it mole`

That is just WRONG.

:doh: I forgot about this. I tried looking up the recipe. The evidence points to me being mistaken. Assuming that I did find the recipe, what she did was a braise (using whiskey) and not a boil.

Titch
08-30-2013, 06:12 PM
We often use a Glaze on our Corned Beef or Pickled Pork.
Mixture of Marmalade, honey, Dijon Mustard and maybe a touch of Brown sugar.
Apple juice can be used to mix to required consistency.
We put the meat in a bag in the fridge overnight coated and reserve some for basting.
This mixture dripping over a bed of Cabbage is awesome.
:becky:

Grabnabber
08-30-2013, 06:39 PM
I was even thinking about using the traditional method but putting it in the smoker instead of the oven.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Titch
08-30-2013, 06:41 PM
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Yes , ours is done in the Weber kettle.

Grabnabber
08-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Yes , ours is done in the Weber kettle.

Sounds good to me! :clap2:

landarc
08-30-2013, 07:01 PM
The worst recipe I have ever read for a brisket, and it turned out great, was Sweet and Savory brisket which combines grape jelly, ketchup and French onion soup mix.

CarolinaQue
08-30-2013, 11:48 PM
The worst recipe I have ever read for a brisket, and it turned out great, was Sweet and Savory brisket which combines grape jelly, ketchup and French onion soup mix.

I actually do a grape jelly and chili sauce mix for meatballs and they are delicious!!!

wjwheeler
08-31-2013, 02:58 PM
I don't want my brisket honey glazed, but I recall an episode of Pitmasters where a brisket was coated with honey, brown sugar, Parkay etc. when it was foiled. I thought they had confused it with ribs. I don't recall it being a winner either.