PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on a smoker

papitman
08-25-2013, 09:15 PM
I want to buy a new offset, something on a trailer. Was wondering if any of you know where I could get an insulated and tuned offset??? I love Jambo but someone told me he don't tune them.

KingRanch450
08-25-2013, 09:32 PM
If you're talking about tuning plates...u can call Ritch with Gator Pits but it will be up to you to tune it.....Jambo doesn't require tuning nor does a reverse flow

Callahan-que
08-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Why not go reverse flow? I'm thinking maybe Lang.

papitman
09-03-2013, 08:13 PM
do they have anything big enough to cook 150-200 halfs of chicken at a time
???? And with a jambo, doesn't the firebox side get hotter than the other side? And does a reverse flow have even temps all across the grates?

SmittyJonz
09-03-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't have a big fancy pit myself but it seems most are made to order and they all like $, seems like they could include a variety pack of tuning plates if one so desired and paid the extra $ ........????? :heh: and Id get reverse flow anyways most likely....

jeffturnerjr
09-03-2013, 09:16 PM
If I was going that route, I would buy a lang. Yoder offsets are pretty sick too...

SmittyJonz
09-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Lang Website says 108" Lang will do 165 half chickens or 80 8lb butts.....

Smokinwright
09-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Lonestar grillz. Mine was tuned right up when I got it. I did however move 2 of the tuning plates to make the 1st part of my barrel cook a little hotter for brisket and pork loins.

markrvp
09-03-2013, 09:40 PM
The OP said specifically he wanted to cook a couple hundred chicken halves at a time. So the first question is, "what is the square inch requirement for that many chickens?" That may eliminate some of the smaller traditional offset pits right off the bat. Jambo (and my recent discovery of R&O) pits are the Rolls Royce of smokers, but aren't big enough for catering.

I'm going to take a wag and estimate it would take 8000 sq. inches or more to hold 200 chicken halves. That's a smoker 8' long by 3' in diameter with three racks. I could be WAAAAAAY off, so somebody who is an actual caterer please chime in on what it would take.

Here is my next question for the guys with reverse flow pits... Chicken would/should be cooked between 275-350 to keep the skin from turning to rubber, right? Do the reverse flow pits get to those higher temps easily enough?

SmittyJonz
09-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Flippin Chicken?

http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/store/BBQ144_BBQ_Pit-pid-64-5.html#.Uiaq3_so52Y

bbqbull
09-03-2013, 10:43 PM
I have a Klose 30" x 8' long tuned mobile pit. It has 3 racks and it might hold that many chicken halves. Give Klose pits a call.

Mrdeville
09-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Talk to TQ. He is a member on this site.
http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/

mikeleonard81
09-03-2013, 11:08 PM
A reverse flow hits 300 pretty easily. Hope this helps

Hal4UK
09-03-2013, 11:18 PM
We have a home-built, reverse-flow (but not insulated) for sale. Never filled it with half chickens, but it will cook a LOT of em... Cooks like a Lang... But cheaper ;-)
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168955

AZScott
09-03-2013, 11:39 PM
I have a 14' R&O but it only has one grate so there is no way I can do that many chickens. Try calling Billy and see what he can do.

winochef
09-04-2013, 08:23 AM
How often do you need the a pit that large to do that much chicken? If it's only 1 or 2 times a year and the rest of the year you do use it a lot but on a smaller scale of cooks is it worth the $ for construction and fuel cost to heat it up for small cooks? Maybe an secondary cooker to supplement the large cooks, and as you serve off of the main pit replace meat on it from the starter pit. Unless you have to serve all of the chicken at one time Just a thought.

MJ_Tenn
09-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Here is my next question for the guys with reverse flow pits... Chicken would/should be cooked between 275-350 to keep the skin from turning to rubber, right? Do the reverse flow pits get to those higher temps easily enough?

I have no trouble keeping 275-300 degrees on my offset

sliding_billy
09-04-2013, 09:03 AM
How often do you need the a pit that large to do that much chicken? If it's only 1 or 2 times a year and the rest of the year you do use it a lot but on a smaller scale of cooks is it worth the $ for construction and fuel cost to heat it up for small cooks? Maybe an secondary cooker to supplement the large cooks, and as you serve off of the main pit replace meat on it from the starter pit. Unless you have to serve all of the chicken at one time Just a thought.

I was thinking the same thing. Two smaller units might make more sense if you don't need to heat something that big every time.

papitman
09-06-2013, 07:23 PM

I'm planning on doing 165-200 1/2's every weekend from the beginning of spring til fall.

papitman
09-06-2013, 07:26 PM
I was looking at langs 108'' but want some input from someone whos cooked on one, owned one or had one. Just want to be sure that I can get temps up to 325 with no issues and hold it there. The company itself would prob tell me yes just to sell it.