PDA

View Full Version : Meat Loaf??

BIGBrandon2785
08-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Is it done with ketchup baked on or brown gravy??

westy
08-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Either or. If you mean baked on in the smoker/oven, its usually ketchup or tomato sauce of some kind. Mom used Heinz chili sauce. Brown gravy usually over the top after the cookin is done. But there is definitely no rules. Glazes, toppers, rubs.....

BIGBrandon2785
08-25-2013, 02:33 AM
Either or. If you mean baked on in the smoker/oven, its usually ketchup or tomato sauce of some kind. Mom used Heinz chili sauce. Brown gravy usually over the top after the cookin is done. But there is definitely no rules. Glazes, toppers, rubs.....

Yeah I was talkin in the oven,but yeah I don't know why but the ketchup never was my favorite,I always prefered brown gravy.Chili sauce is defintally my next try....I like that stuff on everything,I never thought of it on meatloaf,lol.

Tom Sr
08-25-2013, 04:20 AM
If I have smoke on it, it gets a BBQ sauce glaze.

Bludawg
08-25-2013, 07:17 AM
I mix ketchup and a little Balsamic and baste it every 20 min. I put a packet of brown gravy mix in the mix.

snowbound
08-25-2013, 07:24 AM
IMHO...
During the cooking/smoking, neither.

We prefer the firm, almost crisp meatloaf "bark" rather than any type of glaze. You can always add gravy (our personal choice, as what is meatloaf without mashed taters & gravy?!?!:-D) or bbq sauce after plating.

After my 1st attempt at smoked meatloaf last weekend (fortunately, a BIG hit!), I doubt we'll go back to regular oven-baked meatloaf until the winter weather forces us inside.

Snow

dadsr4
08-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Neither. Ketchup is for making bad food edible. I smoke without any sauce.

Ron_L
08-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I mix ketchup and a little Balsamic and baste it every 290 min. I put a packet of brown gravy mix in the mix.

That sounds good! I'll have to try it!

We either do no glaze or use a mix of ketchup and brown sugar during that last 20 minutes of the cook.

superlazy
08-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Give this a try. My family loves it

Ingredients

Meatloaf:
1 cup Whole Milk
6 slices White Bread
2 pounds Ground Beef
1 cup (heaping) Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
3/4 teaspoons Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/3 cup Minced Flat-leaf Parsley
4 whole Eggs, Beaten
10 slices Thin/regular Bacon
Sauce:
1-1/2 cup Ketchup
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
Tabasco To Taste

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour milk over the bread slices. Allow it to soak in for several minutes.
Place the ground beef, milk-soaked bread, Parmesan, seasoned salt, salt, black pepper, and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Pour in beaten eggs.
With clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined. Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a broiler pan, which will allow the fat to drain. (Line the bottom of the pan with foil to avoid a big mess!)
Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf.

Make the sauce: add ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and hot sauce in a mixing bowl. Stir together. Pour 1/3 of the mixture over the top of the bacon. Spread with a spoon.
Bake for 45 minutes, then pour another 1/3 of the sauce over the top. Bake for another 15 minutes. Slice and serve with remaining sauce.

LMAJ
08-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Nothing on top for me... I like the crust crispy too.
I often eat it with ketchup...

caseydog
08-25-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't use any sauce on my smoked meatloaf. It comes out moist and juicy, with a nice smokiness. That's all I need.

CD

Sean "Puffy" Coals
08-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Why not try... bbq sauce?

Never smoked a meat loaf before, but that's what I'd use.

creekwalker
08-26-2013, 12:30 AM
I never really liked ketchup type toppings on meat loaf...but I like this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-party-meatloaf-recipe/index.html

...the topping is the first four ingredients in the recipe list (ending with the cocoa). I just mulched the canned chipotle with a blender stick. (The meat loaf that goes under this sauce is really good too.)

But the idea of using only a rub (one that adds crunch) is good too. Actually I think coating the whole thing with a rub like Meathead's Memphis Dust, then putting Alton's cocoa influenced tomato-chipotle shmear on top late would be really really nice. (I put the meat in a loaf pan to shape, turn in out onto a strip of parchment paper set on the grill, then slide the loaf off the parchment as soon as it sets a little on the outside, so it will crisp on the bottom.) Meathead's Dust is here:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

Ole Man Dan
08-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Is it done with ketchup baked on or brown gravy??

I like to glaze my Meat Loafs with Sweet Baby Ray's cut with Coffee.
I don't need Ketchup or Gravy.

Smokin Mike
08-26-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm sure you probably should not do this, but we put bacon on the top,,,,

16Adams
08-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Gravy no gravy, sauce or no sauce-we always smoke ours in muffin tins. This gives you the most crispy round end pieces that everyone fights for.

sslak
08-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Gravy no gravy, sauce or no sauce-we always smoke ours in muffin tins. This gives you the most crispy round end pieces that everyone fights for.

I didn't know anyone else in the world made meat muffins! Our family has been doing them that way for years, with a sweet brown sugar and ketchup base bbq sauce as the "frosting" which glazes up really nice!

I agree, every bite has the crispy edges!

NickTheGreat
08-26-2013, 09:03 AM
For life in general, Gravy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ketchup.

code3rrt
08-26-2013, 09:25 AM
I like to mix up a "glaze" of approx 1/2 ketchup, 1/4 yellow mustard and 1/4 bbq sauce and maybe a little brown sugar. I apply that for maybe the last 1/2 hour of the cook, and I think it really compliments the loaf. Of course I don't put in on real thick, just enough to get a little with each bite, comes out pretty tasty.

KC

smokeandbeer
08-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I did one a few days ago with a Bacon weave and slathered some BBQ sauce on the last half hour of smoking time. It was excellent...

sslak
08-26-2013, 11:12 AM
My girlfriend was super not-convinced about "smoked meat loaf" but I needed an excuse to play with the smoker since I just finally got a WSM, been using a smokinator on my weber for ribs and such for years.

She's hooked now...haha. She said I'm not allowed to make it in the oven anymore!

Texas Turtle
08-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Check the VWB site. They have a meatloaf recipe using ground beef, pork and veal with bread crumbs that comes out great. Also has a very good sauce recipe along with it. I use Whataburger spicy ketchup instead of regular. Makes for a great dipping sauce.