PDA

View Full Version : Hak's bbq sauce reverse engineering

sbshaveice
08-21-2013, 09:23 PM
My fav store bought sauce. Pricey though. I want to reverse engineer it and get something ballpark. Anyone have a similar recipe or know a good system to reverse engineer?

landarc
08-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Start with the ingredient list on the jar. Then takes some guesses, based on standard proportions.

sbshaveice
08-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Start with the ingredient list on the jar. Then takes some guesses, based on standard proportions.

Yes I've done that but it's always a pinch of this or that and then you're close but you end up with something not duplicatable.

mrbill
08-21-2013, 09:49 PM
do a google search for "hak's bbq sauce recipe" and see if any links have it or get you to a copycat recipe that you can play with to get you where you want to be

landarc
08-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Yes I've done that but it's always a pinch of this or that and then you're close but you end up with something not duplicatable.
The basic ingredients that a packer uses will not be something you can fully duplicate. Often the difference in a clone recipe comes down to things you cannot possibly copy in a home environment. However, if you know the ingredients, and have a basic understanding of how 95% of sauces on the market are made, you can figure it out. Don't do pinches, they are largely useless anyway. Measure everything.

troytime
08-22-2013, 01:52 AM
i just saw Haks for the first time ever today or yesterday.
Now I wish I would have bought some (or at least remember where I saw it)