PDA

View Full Version : Good Bye Akorn

16Adams
08-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Goodbye my friend. Akorn you have been a great cooker and friend. I feel like Craigslist has found you a good home where you can burp thin blue, run hot and fast or low and slow. Now that I have the Primo it just does not seem right to leave you under your cover in cooker jail with your lid and wheel locked. The people that carried you home had a sack of lump and some steaks. They are excited to take you home.

Tears bouncing off my Iphone :-((

IamMadMan
08-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Congratulations on your new Primo XL.....

echap
08-18-2013, 05:36 PM
So the question begs to be answered, why did you change? Is the Primo better? If the Akorn Komado is as good as a BGE, why did you feel the need to go to Ceramic? Inquiring minds want to know :-)

KORND4WG X
08-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Love your soliloquy :clap:

I just sold mine on CL this weekend too. I wanted to keep it like an old t-shirt but with some other cookers in the stable I thought now would be the time to get some value. The gentleman that bought it seemed genuinely excited and I think he's going to love it. Win-win :clap2:

16Adams
08-18-2013, 05:52 PM
The Akorn did everything I wanted in a "gateway" Kamado design, maybe more. It's obvious after you own one they are not built to last a lifetime. Mine was always covered and still in a- condition when I sold it. I've always wanted a ceramic cooker. The Oval design of the Primo XL intrigued me, the "Made in USA" sold me. I attempt to live that slogan from the boots I wear to the beer I drink. And now my cookers. Even my VC gasser is old enough to boast that label. Took a while but finally found a toaster and coffee maker made in USA via ebay. I'm not perfect at it. I buy multiple types of lump and briquettes and a lot of it is made well south of Abilene.

Wornslick
08-18-2013, 06:38 PM
The Akorn did everything I wanted in a "gateway" Kamado design, maybe more. It's obvious after you own one they are not built to last a lifetime. Mine was always covered and still in a- condition when I sold it. I've always wanted a ceramic cooker. The Oval design of the Primo XL intrigued me, the "Made in USA" sold me. I attempt to live that slogan from the boots I wear to the beer I drink. And now my cookers. Even my VC gasser is old enough to boast that label. Took a while but finally found a toaster and coffee maker made in USA via ebay. I'm not perfect at it. I buy multiple types of lump and briquettes and a lot of it is made well south of Abilene.

Well said 16Adams, we should all try and buy American when possible.

:clap:

Big George's BBQ
08-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Both of you are going to be very happy Congrats on your new adventure

16Adams
08-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Both my brothers and most of my friends have Big Green Eggs and they are works of art along with their Klose, original Okie Joe's etc. Therefore like a beacon in the fog I have Primo, Pit Barrel a custom Tiernan SOB (son of brisket)

There's no doubt in my mind I can out cook them. There is no doubt in their mind they can out cook me.

I'm right ;-):clap:

16Adams
08-19-2013, 08:24 AM
After a several year testing period I'm going to whittle it down to those cookers in my signature. 99% of my cooks are for four or less, so while overstaffed I'm surrounded by good friends. I was up to 14? Maybe higher at one time.
I've not used my WSM 18.5" but once since obtaining my Pit Barrel Cooker. And I would bawl like a new calf if I got rid of my Pit Barrel. So I need to go outside and have a conversation with the WSM

deguerre
08-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Upgrade!

liv4jpn
08-19-2013, 02:57 PM
congrats on the new primo you will love it and great way to make some guys day on CL

16Adams
08-22-2013, 03:19 PM
As with the Akorn being replaced with the Primo XL it was time for the WSM to move on down the road to a better place. The man who just bought it said him and his family needed a camping smoker and the 18.5" was perfect. I had only used it once since getting the Pit Barrel Cooker.
As with the Akorn, the WSM is in a better place.

It just makes more sense for these guys to be belching smoke grilling and smoking making young families happy than sitting idle under their covers on my patio.

dajogejr
08-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Yep...my old side by side Char Griller went to a couple young guys looking into getting into smoking meats when I landed my BGE XL.
Sure I could've kept it..take up space...rust...lol, but it went to someone who could use it..and LEARN things the hard way...then truly appreciate a better quality smoker.

16Adams
08-22-2013, 05:31 PM
BBQ Karma- good job

rwalters
08-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Love this thread! And congrats on your PrimoXL. I have a very similar experience to you... and have consolidated my cookers down to a Kamado Joe Big Joe and a PBC. And much like you, after several years of "playing" with a good number of other "cookers"... I couldn't be happier with what I now have!

16Adams
08-26-2013, 01:16 PM
First day off in a few days. So I go out on the patio and I am still surrounded by a great bunch of cookers. Dropped some Royal oak briquettes in the Pit Barrel Cooker, hung a 7.5# full packer brisket and two chickens everything coated in Texas Butt Rub and a tad extra granulated garlic.

The WSM and the Akorn leaving the line up felt similar to the end of The Last of the Mojicans. Anyone who remembers the book knows what I mean.

Now, if I just lived closer to Austin I would have that Klose steak cooker listed on CL in my possession headed north on IH-35.

Buying cookers at a great price is fantastic entertainment. Selling any item on CL can add spice to your life.

With an attitude of gratitude keep smoking and make people smile every chance you get.

bosco0633
08-26-2013, 01:33 PM
I am very new at this and picked up a wsm 22.5 and OTG 22.5. They are just a few weeks and the OTG is being used 3 to 4 times a week. The wsm has been used 2 times since purhcased.

I wish I knew a little more before I invested as I will be selling both in the near future to make room for a KJ big joe. Just dont know when this will be fall or spring. Until then we will keep going, but I really dont need a big WSM, I wont utilize it the way she should be.

I love BBQ but you never know what you really need until you get in there and get dirty! Love WSM and OTG, but the KJ is what I need.

I may have trouble parting with them but know that it will be he right move

16Adams
08-26-2013, 01:44 PM
All of my family and most of my friends walk on my patio, they look around and say something like "what, another cooker". They all have a mental inventory of my cookers. My 83 year old mother noticed the Akorn and WSM were gone. She did not know their make or model, but she knew two were gone.

As long as your not using food or mortgage money collecting cookers is harmless, I hope ;-))

Good luck finding the Kamado Style cooker you want. You will make somebody quite happy when you sell your current line up.

DriverWild
08-26-2013, 01:50 PM
I've had to say good-bye to a few of my cookers too. It's good to see them go to a place where they will be the center of attention.

bosco0633
08-26-2013, 01:55 PM
what is realistic to sell a two week old wsm 22.5 for? it has had 2 cooks on it only. I live in Ontario Canada and they sell up here for 449.99 plus 13% tax. I am thinking 400 on CL??

16Adams
08-26-2013, 03:50 PM
That will never happen. I don't tend to be sentimental and or fall in love with machinery. But that darn Pit Barrel Cooker is my go to. Put chicken on go to Sunday school and Service come home to chicken dinner. Maybe had I started with the PBC my possessions would have been fewer. But I hope not. I enjoy playing with fire and meat.
I'm going to have a small Klose-someday. And a few others. But I need 5K to go to Kenai AK fishing next year. Priorities.