PDA

View Full Version : Chicken brine & mops?????

papitman
08-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Im looking for a chicken brine recipe that doesn't include pickle salt, I cant find it. I am also looking for a mop recipe for ribs. I looked through the recipe section but there isn't many at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated....Also can someone recommend a sweet but very mild rub. My wife doesn't like any heat

IamMadMan
08-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection (works with Chicken as well)
Recipe
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup table salt (I either use kosher salt or cut back a little on the table salt)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

OakRidge BBQ also makes a great "Game Changer Brine" thet works well on chicken and pork...

My all time favorite for chicken is Chivitta's Chicken marinade. Works well as a chicken mop as well.

I don't mop ribs, but I spray them with apple juice to create a nice glaze in the last stage of cooking..

Bludawg
08-18-2013, 05:12 PM
The only difference between table salt & pickle salt is the way it dissolves in cold water and it has no Iodine added. You can Sub regular old table salt in the same quantity.
My standard Brine is
1/2 gal water
1/4 cup Salt( Table or pickle)
1/4 cup Honey
Brine for 1 hr per lb.

a good rub for chicken
1 part old Bay
1 part season salt
1/2 part Splenda

This is a good way to do chicken as well

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old Worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usually add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade process. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce

and so is this

Cornell Chicken Recipe
the original R/S chicken

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt *
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add oil and beat again. Add other ingredients, then stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes. Makes enough for 10 chicken halves. Leftover sauce can be stored in a glass jar and stored in a refrigerator for several weeks.

Marinate the chicken in some of the sauce over night and baste with fresh sauce during the cook flip often over direct coals.

Baker suggests that to cook chicken broilers, you need a hot, non-flaming fire. Broilers should be placed over the cooking fire after the flames are gone. Use this barbecue sauce as a basting material, he suggests. During cooking, the sauce should be brushed on the chicken every few minutes

papitman
08-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the recipe, now all I need is a good mop and a good sweet mild rub for like brisket

papitman
08-18-2013, 05:54 PM
What temps and how long are you cooking your chicken at??? I like a bite threw skin not chewy and not crispy. Im trying to pin this chicken down so I can get it down to do some roadside chicken halves. Im cooking on a small offset

NeilH
08-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Seems like when I do the cornell it crisps up good like it was fried. Good stuff!!

Bludawg
08-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Sweet ain't good on beef try 1part kosher salt &4 parts med grind black peppa, the peppa loses it's bite during the long cook the flavor remains.