PDA

View Full Version : Royal Oak briquettes vs. Kingsford Original

wladrules
08-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Using Royal Oak briquettes for my smoke today. 1 6lb Boston butt and 2 racks of baby backs. Royal oak has a different smell than kingsford. I gotta say I think I like the smell of kingsford better so far.

Garrett
08-17-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm a RO fan all the way, briqs and lump. You will get less ash from the RO than KBB. It should have a good clean smell to it.

wladrules
08-17-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm a RO fan all the way, briqs and lump. You will get less ash from the RO than KBB. It should have a good clean smell to it.

Maybe I'm just used to the smell of KBB and don't know any better. I like that RO produces less ash.

Vision
08-17-2013, 07:21 AM
I can't help with the RO, but last night I did a chimney of Humprey's comp briquettes and they stink during igniting. Makes KBB smell fantastic.

Bdub
08-17-2013, 12:13 PM
I can't even find RO around here. Would love to try it but Kingsford is my only option.

SurrealOne
08-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I can't even find RO around here. Would love to try it but Kingsford is my only option.

None of the Wamarts in Muskogee or Tahlequah have it? Kinda shocks me. I live out east of Broken Arrow and it's everywhere here.

Moose
08-17-2013, 01:55 PM

You can order the Royal Oak restaurant grade 100% hardwood charcoal briquets in a 40lb bag online at www.doitbest.com and have it shipped free to your local hardware store. The closest one to you would be Hoopes Hardware in Muskogee.

RO recently changed their briquet design for this product and not only is it smaller, but they have a ridge running through the top and bottom of the briquet for greater ventilation. I liked them before, and now even better with the new design.

BecknCO
08-17-2013, 02:25 PM
I only like RO lump (USA) for grilling. For smokin' I don't think I can do better than Stubbs

wladrules
08-17-2013, 02:31 PM
RO Briquettes are doing a good job so far. Seems to burn cleaner. Got a Boston butt on the uds.

lantern
08-17-2013, 02:39 PM
You can order the Royal Oak restaurant grade 100% hardwood charcoal briquets in a 40lb bag online at www.doitbest.com and have it shipped free to your local hardware store. The closest one to you would be Hoopes Hardware in Muskogee.

RO recently changed their briquet design for this product and not only is it smaller, but they have a ridge running through the top and bottom of the briquet for greater ventilation. I liked them before, and now even better with the new design.

^^^^^^

This! +1

This stuff is called chef select and in my opinion is better than the regular RO. I always have at least 2 40# bags here. I like the smell...smells like oak vs kingsford which while it has a childhood familiar smell to me also gives me more bubble guts and indigestion in my older age.

Stubbs smells good once it's started but it's price vs the chef's select is a no no around here.

Also, Academy had their brand which I believe is made by RO as it also has the ridge on sale for a crazy $1.78 for over 16# and I MISSED it! But usually its like 5 bucks. ANd that's just hard to beat.

bhurst10
08-17-2013, 07:30 PM
I am stationed in Norfolk Va in the Navy and when I first started smoking I was Kingsford all the way but when day I was in the Commissary and they had Royal Oak 16 lb bag for $3.55 a bag. I tried and I have loved it every since. The Commissary here sales it regular price $5.35 for a 16 lb everyday. I love especially the new design with the ridge line I can't say anything bad about. I don't see any less ash then Kingsford and both put out a lot of smoke out of my chimney started when I first lite them but once they are going they are good the same with the Kingsford. The only thing for me the Royal Oaks beats Kingsford out with and now again it is just for me is the price Kingsford 16 lb bag at the commissary runs about $9.35 so I can get two 16 lb bag of Royal Oak for the price of one bag of Kingsford.

ssbbqguy
08-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Try Ozark Oak too when available. Great taste and low ash. If not around The do it best locator is the best tool for CB and RO lump. I tell all of my customers to try this first. I won't use blue k because of the ash buildup and the taste. Finally grew out of it from over saturation as a unknowing youth using hibatchis. Steve.

rdstoll
08-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Anyone use Cowboy lump coal?

Copronymous
08-18-2013, 12:01 AM

I have. Wasn't my favorite.

Bdub
08-18-2013, 12:45 AM
None of the Wamarts in Muskogee or Tahlequah have it? Kinda shocks me. I live out east of Broken Arrow and it's everywhere here.
I haven't tried Walmart. I typically to do not trade with them but for the sake of good bbq I guess I could make an exception. :grin:

USMC
08-18-2013, 06:46 AM

Tried it once. You would have thought there were firecrackers in it as much hissing and popping I had going on.

nucornhusker
08-18-2013, 09:00 AM
I haven't tried Walmart. I typically to do not trade with them but for the sake of good bbq I guess I could make an exception. :grin:

Walmart, Menards (if they reach as far south as you), or check local grocery stores. Many store brands are made by Royal Oak. If it talk about the "Ridge" on the bag, then it's RO.

Ole Man Dan
08-18-2013, 12:22 PM

ONCE...
Don't plan to use it again.
RO lump, Stubbs are better.

Q-Dat
08-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Just about all store brands are just re labeled Royal Oak briqs. If it has the "Ridge" design its R.O.

NeilH
08-18-2013, 02:22 PM
ONCE...
Don't plan to use it again.
RO lump, Stubbs are better.

Same here with the cowboy. Celebrated 4th of July in march with that stuff and stinks.

nucornhusker
08-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Walmart, Menards (if they reach as far south as you), or check local grocery stores. Many store brands are made by Royal Oak. If it talk about the "Ridge" on the bag, then it's RO.

Just about all store brands are just re labeled Royal Oak briqs. If it has the "Ridge" design its R.O.
There must be an echo in here. :caked: :laugh::laugh: