PDA

View Full Version : Cooking for Football Team

Williefb
08-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Fall is in the air and I've been commissioned to cook the BBQ for the football team & parents on Thursday night before the big rivalry game.

Couple of questions

Is 1/4 lb per sandwich an accurate calculation with the understanding that several boys may want multiple sandwiches?

I trim butts before putting on the pit. Is a 55% yield a fair estimate on cooked weight?

bkleinsmid
08-15-2013, 04:42 PM
When I cooked for a local car club, I figured about 1/3 lb for the "eaters"......
I know that when I played football, 2 Big Mc's was a good start before dinner. Most of those lids can eat......

Brad

IamMadMan
08-15-2013, 06:54 PM
When I cooked for a local car club, I figured about 1/3 lb for the "eaters"......
I know that when I played football, 2 Big Mc's was a good start before dinner. Most of those lids can eat......

Brad

^ +1 I Agree with "bkleinsmid"

1/3 is a realistic starting point, now you have to figure out how many are big enough to eat 2 sandwiches...

Icekub
08-15-2013, 07:36 PM
You didn't say, but it sounds like you are doing pulled pork. Also are these 3rd graders or high schoolers? The older they are, the more you'll need. Since it's pork and pork freezes real well anyways, I'd figure btw 1/3 and 1/2 lb per person. The lineman may eat a lb on their own.

Pyle's BBQ
08-15-2013, 10:15 PM
As far as cooked weight, I would go with 50%. There will be some fat and bark that may be inedible.

mrbill
08-15-2013, 10:27 PM
my advice-try to figure how much you usually feed average people from your cooks to get a baseline, then add 50% to take care of the team and the non-players that will want to "pig-out". pun intended. while you're doing this, cook something else-(chicken is cheap, figure to feed about 20% of the folks). to take care of any over run or the folks that don't want a pulled sandwich. if you have left overs(which isn't very likely), take them to work. either way, so long as you do it right, you should have lots of folks wanting more. then proceed as you see fit.

fantomlord
08-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Fall is in the air and I've been commissioned to cook the BBQ for the football team & parents on Thursday night before the big rivalry game.

Couple of questions

Is 1/4 lb per sandwich an accurate calculation with the understanding that several boys may want multiple sandwiches?

I trim butts before putting on the pit. Is a 55% yield a fair estimate on cooked weight?

I'm guessing it'll be a little more than several...probably most will eat more than 1 sammie, and "several" will eat 3.

hmbrewr
08-16-2013, 12:34 PM
I cooked for the high school team last year. 60 kids and the coaches. I cooked 8 butts, all around 8-9lbs apiece. So 60 -70 lbs. They were served on Costco Ciabatta rolls There was maybe a 1/2 pulled butt left. That was with Salad, Mac & Cheese and Dessert (Choc Chip cookies) I thought I had cooked way too much, but believe me those boys can eat. This was right after Thursdays practice.

Fat Cap
08-16-2013, 01:48 PM
I smoke alot for my kids high school team. I ususlly figure 1 lb (uncooked per player) and 1/2 lb (uncooked) per parent. I usually have some leftovers, which is great! The last one I did they ate it all. Just my $0.02.

bulldogs34
08-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Just in case if you think you might not have enough; you might want to serve the sandwiches. That way you put the same amount of meat on for everyone, no matter if they are a DB or lineman.
You know how some will be and try and put 2lbs of meat on a sandwich.