PDA

View Full Version : Pork Butt Dilemma

Frank Mahovlich
08-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Taking my first shot at pork butt tomorrow. Have a coupla 7.5 lbers that I'm gonna smoke for pulled pork sammiches on my WSM 22. Would like the meat to be ready for to rest and then pull right after golf, which means I would like to cook this thing unattended for the last 5 hours or so, hence the "dilemma".

Any thoughts or ideas on how I can attack this so it's ready by around 2:00pm? Right now I'm thinking of putting the roasts on the smoker between 1:00am and 2:00am at 225-250. I would like to do the whole cook unfoiled if possible. Can I do much damage to these things if they get over-cooked? Any thoughts or ideas on how I can attack this cook would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
FM

DownHomeQue
08-15-2013, 11:27 AM
you should have no problem getting them there in about 6 hours.. make sure you check on it though.. you never know what could happen... try and check on them at least every hour..

ExperiencedRookie
08-15-2013, 11:32 AM
I would recommend wrapping in foil with some liquid (apple juice, cider vinegar, whatever) when you leave for golf. I have left pork butts unattended before like this and one time without wrapping they got too hot and were a little dry. Whenever I wrap they do tend to steam more and you could argue you lose some flavor/bark but they tend to turn out better. Just my two cents...

DownHomeQue
08-15-2013, 11:32 AM
cook at 275-300 should be good to go..

NOHENS
08-15-2013, 11:39 AM
I cook 7-8 pound butts in my 18.5 WSM constantly. I would have no problem getting up at 8am...starting up my WSM....prepping me while temp gets up to 275ish and sweet blue coming out. Putting the butts on at least an hour before tee time to make sure the temp is steady 275 when I left to golf. Leave it..mine runs solid for HOURS!!! At 275 they should be done after you put them on 7-8 hours later. And I never foil. Get home from golf, check IT, and when the bone slides out easy, let cool for a little bit then foil and cooler. Pull and eat 5ish?