PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Meat on a Vertical Setup

MeatCandy
08-15-2013, 02:21 AM
Hello Newby here...

First post since Roll Call...

Questions to all the vertical cookers/stacker's out there...

When your Pork drips on your Chicken...Does the chicken taste like pork?

I see cookers stuffed with Pork, Chicken, Beef, Abts, Etc...

Does your food develop a Hybrid flavor of what is cooking above it?

If so, Do you plan the stacking order to get the right mix?

BBQ Bandit
08-15-2013, 03:18 AM
Some would place pork above beef and chicken below everything stacked.
The only concern is regarding food safety... by placing chicken on the bottom rack in the stack.

BigBellyBBQ
08-15-2013, 03:55 AM
Some would place pork above beef and chicken below everything stacked.
The only concern is regarding food safety... by placing chicken on the bottom rack in the stack.
yeeeeuuuup

Titch
08-15-2013, 04:07 AM
Thanks for this post,

Untraceable
08-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Typically big cuts are not on the smoker at the same time as chicken but it they are, you can just pan the chicken and not have to worry about dripping

early mornin' smokin'
08-15-2013, 08:45 AM
chicken on the bottom, pork over brisket, always.....if dripping porky goodness is bad, idk what's good

DownHomeQue
08-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Chicken is best below everything else..

MeatCandy
08-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks far all the reply's...

Sorry for the lame question...I have never stacked different foods, I always try to keep things separate...I've only cooked for small groups and there is usually a theme...So mixing foods hasn't been an issue..

Food safety is paramount...

But what about flavor..."early mornin' smokin'" touched on it(No pun intended)...

Do you lose some control of your final flavors?

Do you plan on this and season accordingly?

coastal
08-15-2013, 11:46 AM
All this chicken safety on this board makes me wonder why we eat it in the first place! KCBS should substitute shrimp for chicken!

early mornin' smokin'
08-15-2013, 11:53 AM
meatcandy, you can always put everything in disposable foil trays if you're worried about flavor cross contamination. but pork fat makes everything better.

Mixin
08-16-2013, 04:03 AM
I put extra racks in mine & simply put a tray between the levels to prevent any drips from above. I've done chicken wings, pork belly, salmon fillets, mussels and potatoes at the same time like this, and avoided any issues.

Mahoney86
08-16-2013, 08:36 AM
i have always wondered this as well. I like to cook chicken hot, so I always throw it on the top rack. Normally I either have no food on when the chicken is on or there isn't a much on the cooker when the chicken is on. However this past weekend at an event I was reheating a lot of ribs and did some smoked shrimp so the cooker was pretty full... Food safety crossed my mind a lot with the chicken up top.

palmtreefrb
08-16-2013, 09:46 AM
I have a Backwoods Party. Always Pork butt/shoulder top, brisket below. Brisket is wrapped in butcher paper at 160 before any real pork rendering has occured. Pork on top because it's got more mass and the verticals are hotter on the top.