PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Heat Deflector (Vision)

spaceboy
08-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Seen a couple of variations for this but here is what I came up with...

The main reason for this was that the wife was rasing hell about me buying the vision in the first place.... didn't want to explain why I had to spend $100+ for the adjustable spider... (although i will buy it at some point its a really nice set up!)

Not to mention - I tried the pictured set up with a pizza stone which cracked after the first use... I must have my support/bars set too close to the fire.

So all in ... $8.00 for the steel bar (non galvanized) and $15.00 for the iron pizza pan (amazon warehouse deal... came new but repackaged - 14" camp chef pizza pan)...
Just set it up now... and im doing a burn in on the pan to insure I "burn off" any bad stuff....

Hope it works!

K80Shooter
08-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Looks good to me.

A lot of people I know add sand to the pan. IDK if you're planning on doing that or not.

ssv3
08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
^^^

Same here!

dwfisk
08-14-2013, 06:41 PM
That looks really cool and functional. I don't have a ceramic but that deflector plate looks like just the ticket for any vertical setup!
PS: almost said "don't have a vertical but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night" but that just sounded to weird-LOL.

spaceboy
08-14-2013, 07:07 PM
That looks really cool and functional. I don't have a ceramic but that deflector plate looks like just the ticket for any vertical setup!
PS: almost said "don't have a vertical but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night" but that just sounded to weird-LOL.

I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing from the break-in..... Doing a long cook friday - ill report back with how it went.

Yellowhair42
08-14-2013, 07:52 PM
I made one similar to that but put the diffuser(14"clay pot saucer)right up under the lower grate.I used 1/8 x 3/4 steel strap.

spaceboy
08-14-2013, 11:14 PM
I made one similar to that but put the diffuser(14"clay pot saucer)right up under the lower grate.I used 1/8 x 3/4 steel strap.

Bending the bar was impossible to do... What did you use/how did you do it?

I know I didn't have the appropiate tools to do this - but did what I could.

Yellowhair42
08-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Bending the bar was impossible to do... What did you use/how did you do it?

I know I didn't have the appropiate tools to do this - but did what I could.

Drew a line. Clamped in a vice at the line. Hand bent/pounded with a hammer. You did great with what you had at hand. I'll post pics in a bit.