PDA

View Full Version : Xl bge

TexasGuppie
08-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Three years ago my best friend's wife asked me if I might have any gift ideas for her husband. I told her that he REALLY wanted an XL Big Green Egg and within hours she had pulled the trigger on the XL BGE, a nest and a few other goodies. Christmas morning that year was certainly a good one for my buddy.

On August 5th of this year my best friend lost his battle with Stage 4 lung cancer. He went quickly and peacefully.

Yesterday his wife called me and asked that I come over and pick up the EGG. He had requested that I receive it after he was gone.

I'm touched, I'm without words and I will bring back some memories of my friend Arnie Kaplan this weekend when I do a little cooking to honor a great friend.

This is going to be a whole lot different that cooking on my offset trailer mounted pit.

Wish me luck.

aawa
08-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Three years ago my best friend's wife asked me if I might have any gift ideas for her husband. I told her that he REALLY wanted an XL Big Green Egg and within hours she had pulled the trigger on the XL BGE, a nest and a few other goodies. Christmas morning that year was certainly a good one for my buddy.

On August 5th of this year my best friend lost his battle with Stage 4 lung cancer. He went quickly and peacefully.

Yesterday his wife called me and asked that I come over and pick up the EGG. He had requested that I receive it after he was gone.

I'm touched, I'm without words and I will bring back some memories of my friend Arnie Kaplan this weekend when I do a little cooking to honor a great friend.

This is going to be a whole lot different that cooking on my offset trailer mounted pit.

Wish me luck.

I'm sorry to hear about losing your good friend. Cooking on that egg will always remind you of Arnie and mean some very special. I think that is very touching that he wanted you to have his BGE since he knows you would really appreciate it and use it.

bosco0633
08-14-2013, 03:14 PM
wow touching story. I am sorry for your loss. He is in a better place, remember the memories to help you through these difficult days.

DriverWild
08-14-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. This post is especially touching as I lost my father to cancer just over a year ago. I have found that the items he left me bring back memories and once in a while bring a smile to my face. Enjoy the BGE and the memories it will bring back as well as the new memories it will bring to you and your family.

I wish you the best of luck!

SC_Dave
08-14-2013, 03:19 PM
What a story and what a loss. God's speed to your friend. I'm sure it will make him smile to see you cooking on it.
SC

SmokerKing
08-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Wow, tough one.
He'll always be in your memory, especially when you use the BGE.

gamblerpro1
08-14-2013, 03:31 PM
sorry for your loss my friend.im sure he knew you would take care of it and think of him when you fire it up.godspeed my friend.

BBQ_MAFIA
08-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Every time you use the EGG I know you will be thinking of your friend and I'm sure he will be watching over you also.

fingerlickin'
08-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Sorry for your loss brother. I'm sure you'll use the egg to bring happiness to the people just like he would have.

markrvp
08-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Take a socket driver set with you to disassemble the lid hinge. Remove the lid from the body and take everything out of the main part. Don't try and move it with the firebox or fire ring inside... it's too heavy.

I broke an Egg one time, and I would hate for this one to get damaged since it has great meaning.

loco_engr
08-14-2013, 05:52 PM
TexasGuppie:

Very sorry for your loss.

To remove the dome, zip tie the hinge when closed and then remove.

Also, ceramic grill store has great quality accessories to expand
the capabilities.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

There used to an AZ Eggfest in Phoenix, but not sure if they had
one this year or are planning one for next year.

93vpmod
08-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Very moving...the friendship continues, even after you lose someone special. Sorry for your loss. The BGE will hold great memories of your friend.

Note to Self: If ever asked by my friend's wife, remember to suggest a sports car!

blackdog043
08-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Sorry about your loss. He knew his Egg would be in good hands with you, enjoy it!!!

shirknwrk
08-14-2013, 11:34 PM
You might want to invest in one of these http://potlifter.com/

I have one for moving my Large BGE and think it would be nearly essential for the XL.
If you remove the fire box & fire ring, two people should be able to move it without removing the dome.

martyleach
08-14-2013, 11:48 PM
That is a very nice story and I am glad that his wife understood your passion and friendship. Very cool that you can remember him every time you cook. My brother died of cancer several years ago and my sil gave me his baby (2003 Audi RS6). Every time I get in it I think of my brother. A very good thing!

bvbull200
08-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Sorry for your loss. For most people, a grill/cooker/smoker is just a device for making food and little more. Not only will this BGE be a tool for performing a passion of yours, it will be a great reminder of your best friend. That is pretty special.