PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Chuck Roast vs Pulled Brisket

bbqgeekess
08-13-2013, 07:13 PM
I haven't smoked either but I'm wondering how they compare in taste and texture.

Reason I ask is I can get chuck roast much more affordably than brisket (considering how much fat comes with the brisket fat cap).

IamMadMan
08-13-2013, 07:22 PM
In my personal experiences, chuck pulls easier for pulled beef sandwiches.

BBQ Grail
08-13-2013, 08:50 PM
I prefer chuck roast for pulled beef. It tastes better and pulls easier (as mentioned above.)

bbqgeekess
08-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Great, thanks! I'll start with a chuck roast then. Should I bbq/smoke a chuckie in the exact same manner as a pork butt?

CarolinaQue
08-14-2013, 07:08 AM
I agree...chuck is much better for pulled beef. I actually prefer doing a whole chuck roll rather than pre-trimmed chuck roasts. And yes, cook it just like a pork butt.

code3rrt
08-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Very similar, or you could try this......very popular here!

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D160157&sa=U&ei=aGULUvHEDOPliAKpgIGIAg&ved=0CAkQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHCA5OU7R3tJ8DGCuseDSs2VPO-zw

KC

Ackman
08-14-2013, 07:44 AM
+1^^^^

bbqgeekess
08-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. For the pork butts I've made: I like lawry's seasoned salt for the rub and Shack Attack for the sauce. I am guessing I'll use lawry's or santa monica for the rub on this chuckie--any recommendations for sauce? I guess I'll try the onions, bell peppers, stout & garlic paste as suggested; any other recommendations for sauce?

thunter
08-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. For the pork butts I've made: I like lawry's seasoned salt for the rub and Shack Attack for the sauce. I am guessing I'll use lawry's or santa monica for the rub on this chuckie--any recommendations for sauce? I guess I'll try the onions, bell peppers, stout & garlic paste as suggested; any other recommendations for sauce?

Try this for your chuckie rub, I think you might like it because for me, it enhances the savory nature of the beef:

Kosher Salt
Course Ground Black Pepper
Ground Cumin
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Brown Sugar

Mix the salt and pepper 50/50 (this is what I like), but if you think its too salty for you, just reduce the salt ratio and increase the pepper ratio. The other spices you can just mix in to your taste.

Give it a try some time. :grin:

Harbormaster
08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Brisket is for slicing IMO. Chuckies are for pulling.

Be careful using Lawry's as a rub, because it's not a rub, it's a seasoned salt. A rub will have proportionately less salt that Lawry's.

Consider using Montreal Steak rub on your chuckie. It's usually available in the spice section of your super market. (McCormick is one brand).

If you do the pepper stout beef sammies, you really shouldn't need a sauce.

bbqgeekess
08-15-2013, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. Any other recommendations for sauce for pulled chuckie?

thunter
08-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. Any other recommendations for sauce for pulled chuckie?

If you want commercial sauce, Sweet Baby Rays Chipotle goes great with beef.

Tom Sr
08-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Both sound great for tamale fillings. I promise to report back..
I'm serious here. I love smoked meat in tamales:-D

IrondeQuer
08-15-2013, 07:50 AM
The BBQ Pit Boys got me cooking my first chuckies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCL-OF6vw70

With the Pepper Stout Beef recipe, most of my family doesn't use bbq sauce although my grandson will sometimes use Montreal Steak Sauce. Au jus is plenty for my wife and daughters.

smokainmuskoka
08-15-2013, 08:09 AM
I did 2 chucks on Sunday with the pepper stout beef method, just replaced the stout with low sodium beef broth. It's an amazing recipe, and I highly recommend it!

BigBellyBen77
08-15-2013, 09:15 AM
I like to baste my chuck with a mixture of a Spicy sweet BBQ sauce mixed with beef broth, onions, garlic, and some rub. Mix it and let it simmer to meld all the flavors. Rub I use fresh ground black pepper, coarse sea salt, some granulate garlic and onion, and about 3 dried Thai Birds Eye Chilli. Cooked like a butt but after 4 hours baste every 1/2 hour. When i wrap I added some of the mop sauce. Prefer a whole chuck roll to the cut roasts as well. Good luck and enjoy!

jlane
08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
I use a 50/50 mix of water and Worcestershire when I foil and if sauce is used Blues Hog Tennessee Red is good on beef.