PDA

View Full Version : Secrets to chicken?

papitman
08-13-2013, 02:57 PM
I watch BBQ Pit masters loyaly. I see a lot of them using butter baths, doesn't that wash away any seasoning? I have no idea how to do chicken, I need some help desperately. Ive done brisets and pork butts that came out awesome. My downfall is chicken and baby back ribs

polishdon
08-13-2013, 02:59 PM
You may lose some of the rub after the butter bath, I reapply after it comes out of the pan.

Bludawg
08-13-2013, 03:12 PM
That's a comp thing. IMO Stupid for family eats. When all you need to do is cook skin side down. Brine it & cook it at 325-375 whole birds spatchcocked and always skin side down until the last 30 min

DownHomeQue
08-13-2013, 03:15 PM
No butter baths.. even when i do comps.. just simple brine.. placed in smoke.. then sauced.. for comps.. no sauce for the house...

1buckie
08-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Maybe I'm just kinda dense & unable to follow along, but if they're showin' it to ya on TV then it isn't really a secret anymore.....?

I got ticked off one time & dumped a flat of a dozen thighs on upside (skin) down & they came out really good....I'm with BluDawg....take the downward path @350f..............

These went half the time up & half down & were just fine....
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/OCT%209%20brisket%202012/OCT9brisket2012048.jpg

If you must have them look pretty, dunk in thinned sauce 15 minutes before you're done & set back on to set up glaze......

GoolsbyMD
08-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Spatchcock, rubbed, no brine, remove water pan in wsm, 375 cook to temp. Bird soaks up a lot of smoke!

trza
08-13-2013, 04:07 PM
With that kind of question, you're going to get tons of answers. Luckily, they are all right! But in the end, it all depends on the style of bbq chicken that you want to cook.

In my neck of the woods, it's split halves, turned every 30 mins or so, with liberal application of a highly seasoned mop sauce heavy on the vinegar and seasonings. We don't brine, add butter, etc.

The big deal with the muffin tins is to create a consistent size, which helps ensure even cooking times and a uniform presentation in the turn-in box. It's a popular strategy for competition queue, but wasteful for everyday cooking.

Are your ribs drying out? You can use a water bath and/or mop sauce to help. Many people also wrap 'em in foil in the middle of the cook to preserve moisture (look for the 3-2-1 method on the site).

legendaryhog
08-13-2013, 04:15 PM
That BBQ Pitmaster show seems to confuse more people than it helps. I am soooo not a fan. Super boring "reality" tv, that is basically one giant serious of product placement adverts. Nope. If you have to bathe something in butter to make it taste great, what is the point? (ya, I know its a comp thing, but ...come on). That show....ug. Sooo bad.

papitman
08-13-2013, 08:00 PM
TRZA, DO you have a mop recipe??? My wife wont eat them if they have any heat, chicken or ribs, so anyone have a rub recipe ? And what would I use to brine with? I like my chicken to have no fat, the skin realy cooked good not crispy, but thin and melts in your mouth. I'd be doing mostly small chicken halves and breasts. SO with that what temp should I go with? How long? DO I turn Them. Im cooking on a heavy smoker I just picked up from lowes, the Oklahoma joes longhorn offset, its not like the thin metal crap you norm see.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-13-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm with Bludawg on this. Brining and high temps.

Bludawg
08-13-2013, 11:26 PM
TRZA, DO you have a mop recipe??? My wife wont eat them if they have any heat, chicken or ribs, so anyone have a rub recipe ? And what would I use to brine with? I like my chicken to have no fat, the skin realy cooked good not crispy, but thin and melts in your mouth. I'd be doing mostly small chicken halves and breasts. SO with that what temp should I go with? How long? DO I turn Them. Im cooking on a heavy smoker I just picked up from lowes, the Oklahoma joes longhorn offset, its not like the thin metal crap you norm see.
I brine mine in 1/2 gal water 1/4 cup pickle salt, 1/4 cup honey for 1hr per lb. Rinse well, pat dry.
Good rubs; Old Bay, Goya perfect seasoning(green lid)
Run your pit at a min 325 cook skin down it keeps it moist the skin acts like a dish to hold in the moisture and the moisture renders the fat and crips the skin. Chicken needs to be cooked to an internal temp of 165 in the breast and 175 in the thigh. I flip skin up for the last 15- 30 min.

wmrrock
08-13-2013, 11:33 PM
83656I use a Purdue oven stuffer roaster. Take out the pop up thermometer, rinse well in cold water and pat dry inside cavity and out. Cover in olive oil, and place your favorite rub on the chicken. Make sure you put rub in the cavity. Wrap in foil and place in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours - preferably over night. Set up for indirect cooking at 235. Make sure you use a drip pan. Smoke with any type of wood - I like hickory. It will take 4 to 5 hours - internal temp at the breast should be 175. When juices run clear you are done.

martyleach
08-13-2013, 11:44 PM
I love thighs. Cook at 360-375 skin side down. Flip at 30 mins. Cook till IT of 160 or 165 and let rest for awhile covered. Awesome, always!

charrederhead
08-14-2013, 12:07 AM
High temp. is the chicken "secret". After that, there's a billion ways to go. :wink:

SmokingJo
08-14-2013, 12:59 AM
When you say skin side down do you put them in direct or in indirect? Thank bros!

papitman
08-14-2013, 05:08 PM
So at 325 how long am I looking at for halves?

NeilH
08-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Ill do chicken until it hits 170 in the thigh. Usually about an 1-1.5 at 350*.

NeilH
08-14-2013, 05:39 PM
When you say skin side down do you put them in direct or in indirect? Thank bros!
I start mine indirect until the thigh shows 170* then skin side down over direct to crisp the skin. I sauce before hitting it direct.

Terry The Toad
08-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Wrap the pieces in bacon. Yum. :-D

papitman
08-14-2013, 09:27 PM
whats the difference between direct and indirect, and what is the 3-2-1 method? And what would be the temp on breasts? And what would 1.5 be on time? Does anyone have a good mop recipe???

markrvp
08-14-2013, 10:24 PM
whats the difference between direct and indirect, and what is the 3-2-1 method? And what would be the temp on breasts? And what would 1.5 be on time? Does anyone have a good mop recipe???

Direct heat means the meat is directly over the heat source (fire) with nothing blocking the heat from the meat. Indirect heat means the meat is away from the heat source and the heat is moving across the meat by draft.

3-2-1 method is a method of cooking spare ribs at 225 degrees. 3 Hours in the smoker bare, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and then 1 hour out of the foil in the smoker again. This method usually results in overcooked ribs.

1.5 on time means 1 and 1/2 hours.

BevoBurn96
08-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Marty has the right idea. Start out with just thighs. It's hard to screw them up because they have a higher fat content which keeps them moist without brine.

I do mine with just a brisket rub and add a dash of sugar, grill indirect until they're at 170 skin side down. I then sear just before taking them off to crisp it up a bit more.

BevoBurn96
08-14-2013, 10:55 PM
can't go wrong with bacon either...mmm bacon.

luv2putt
08-15-2013, 01:00 AM
I'm assuming your smoking .. Like what's already been said, brine brine brine overnight ... Smoke with a fruitwood lightly , cook skin side and start taking their temps an hour into your smoke if your doing individual pieces ... Chicken is not a cook by feel , takes its temp and pull when done and let rest a bit .... Over cooked chicken is not soo much fun ...

caseydog
08-15-2013, 01:34 AM
Let me see if I can make things more confusing. :becky:

My own personal experience with chicken is this...

Dark meat cuts like thighs and legs do just fine on their own. Lean cuts like breasts need to be brined. Whole chickens, brined and cooked on a rotisserie are farking incredible.

CD

ButtBurner
08-15-2013, 08:31 AM
I have never brined any chicken

the key is not to overcook it

here is one thread I did on the subject on boneless breasts.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160939

shirknwrk
08-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Plowboy's "Yardbird" rub will make it taste good regardless of everything else! (Try it on a cardboard box :-D)

NeilH
08-15-2013, 09:19 AM
I have never brined any chicken

the key is not to overcook it

here is one thread I did on the subject on boneless breasts.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160939

x2. No brining necessary.

SmokingJo
08-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Agree ^^^
Spartchchocked chicken indirect hot&fast, or direct with a brick on top ("pollo al mattone") never brining, always juicy.

misterrachel
08-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Plowboy's "Yardbird" rub will make it taste good regardless of everything else! (Try it on a cardboard box :-D)

AMEN! My favorite way to do chicken on the UDS is to spatchcock, rub with Yardbird and go at 350ish for about 1.5 hours (a little less time for a smaller bird). I'd never tried skin side down first as others have suggested, but I'm going to now! I've never brined, but that's more out of laziness than anything else. It's on my bucket list.

BBQ-Jim
08-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I always do leg quarters. Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder cook on UDS at 325 or so until 180 in middle of thigh. No sauce Hickory for smoke

Jim

oldsmobubble
08-15-2013, 03:07 PM
I have done chicken twice now once with wings. Both times I brined the whole bird with salt, sugar, onions, and garlic overnight. When done take out rinse off, pat dry, and mixed olive oil with garlic powder, onoin powder, and paprika. Spatchcocked the chiken both times and them painted the oil and seasoning mixture all over the bird both sides and under the skin, let sit in fridge for a few hours. When ready to cook took out about an hour before cooking to warm up to room temperature then threw on the ECB water smoker with some apple wood. The first time was done low and slow at about 225 degrees for about 4 or 5 hours and the second time was done at about 275 - 300 degrees for about 3 hours, both turned out amazingly good but the hotter temp was a little easier. Both times the birds were done skin side up but, next time I will be sure to try it skin side down.

kw
08-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Eastern Shore style is still my overall favorite. Perhaps it's from smelling it on the way to Ocean City as a kid back in the early '60's.

It's close to the recipe for Cornell Chicken.

I don't use the egg, as it serves little purpose as far as I can tell.

Here's an article with a recipe for the shore style.

Kurt

http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index.php/style/dining/shore_tastes_good/

FredC
08-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Preach on Brother

papitman
08-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Before I get into It, does anyone know how to see all the threads I started? Someone gave me an amazing meatloaf recipe I made today and it was absolutely delicious. It was pretty cool seeing a smoke ring on meat loaf, anyway I need the threads to thank him. I followed it to T, but I wrapped it in bacon.

Griff Loaf
2 tablespoons olive oil
cup onions finely diced
red pepper finely diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
cup grated parmesan
cup seasoned bread crumbs
cup milk
1large egg lightly beaten
5 or6 dashes of Worcestershire
tsp salt
tsp pepper
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 lbs sausage
Mix everything together and form into loaf. I smoke at 300-350* until the loaf hits 165*. Sauce can be added the last 15 minutes.

Now........, Someone said to brine chicken in 1/2 gal water 1/4 cup pickle salt, 1/4 cup honey for 1hr per lb, but no one has pickle salt so I need a recipe for a brine now. Hey Oldsbubble, is there any liguid in that brine? What is Spatchcocked????