PDA

View Full Version : Brisket and Pork resting in a cooler

2000milesofsmoke
08-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Bretheren, I am doing a large cook on Friday for my entire company. Doing st. louis ribs, pulled pork, brisket, and ABT's. My question is, if my brisket and pork get done before my ribs (Im sure my timing will be off), how long can I set the brisket and pork in a cooler (not cut or pulled) wrapped in a towel before I serve?

marubozo
08-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Hours. Quite a few hours, actually. Those cuts will benefit from a rest, and in a cooler you'll still have piping hot meat 3+ hours in a cooler, and probably even longer.

I'd actually plan your cook so that the butts and brisket get done a few hours before the ribs and everything else so that they do have a lot of time to rest. Worst thing you can do is cut into the meat as soon as you pull it in an attempt to serve everything at the same time. That's a recipe for dry meat.

timmy7649
08-13-2013, 01:04 AM
12 hours.

markrvp
08-13-2013, 01:34 AM
On Scout campouts where I'm feeding a lot of people, I'll set my briskets on so that they are ready 5-6 hours ahead of dinner. Then I put them in a cooler while I cook the ribs. What I do is put a towel in the bottom of the cooler, then put the foiled brisket(s) on top of the towel. Then I put TWO towels on top of the briskets and close the cooler. The meat is still very hot 5 hours later.

Granny's Gang Barbeque
08-13-2013, 07:58 AM
I agree with the consensus.. Hours. I recently did a cook for some friends. Lunch was to about 2 in the afternoon. My cooker ran hot, and the meat was ready at 9:30 in the morning. We enjoyed the smaller of the two pork shoulders for breakfast. The other shoulder and brisket were wrapped in foil. Allow meat to steam off first. Then the foiled meat was wrapped in an old blanket then into the cooler. 4 1/2 hours later the meat was still hot enough to require gloves to handle. Piping hot, and oh so good. Worked out so well that I use this method with competition meats now. That extra rest time does wonders for the meat.

DJnKY
08-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Did a cook this past weekend, butts were foiled and put in the cooler 5 hours b4 serving time. They were still upper 150's when I pulled them to serve. Gloves required. Butts off, ribs on, cook not nervous.:wink:

txschutte
08-13-2013, 09:40 PM
12 hours.
I agree. Depending on the amount of meat and the size of your cooler.

popeye
08-13-2013, 10:17 PM
yes coolers are a life saver

martyleach
08-13-2013, 10:18 PM
I have done 6 hours and I think it was better that way.

aawa
08-13-2013, 10:59 PM
I did 6 pork butts for one of my cooks. I took them off the smoker at 1130am, I pulled the last one at 8pm and it was still nice and hot.

3hmbbq
08-13-2013, 10:59 PM
I agree with the 12 hours. Insulated cooler and a lot of meat will stay hot a long time.

Slamdunkpro
08-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Just an FYI. Cold coolers are not designed to hold hot things. Repeated use of a cold only cooler as a hot hold box will break down the insulation and skyrocket your ice usage when you have cold stuff in it.

(ask me how I know this):oops:

jimstocks53
08-14-2013, 01:37 AM
When you take the meat off remember that it can still cook from its own heat for a while - consider letting it actually cool down for a bit uninsulated before you put it in your 'cambro' for holding.