PDA

View Full Version : Why Cherry Wood?

Mrdeville
08-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Why does it seem like a lot of people prefer cherry wood over the other woods when smoking? What makes cherry so much better?

The_Kapn
08-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Personal preference.
It s a good wood for many things.

TIM

legendaryhog
08-12-2013, 03:50 PM
^^^^ What he said. I use what ever hard wood is available. I don't think you need a certain wood to get a good flavor. Maybe some folks can tell a big difference, but aside from mesquite and hickory I don't find a huge difference in taste. My favorites are hickory and oak, but I'll burn cherry, apple, etc... It just depends on availability. My buddy's cherry tree got hit by lightning a few years ago, so I used that for a couple years mixed in. Now I use mostly hickory because it is available from another buddy, and I have a friend who is a cabinet maker, so he gives me all his end pieces. I get a lot of alder from him now. It works great too. I would go with whatever hard wood is in your area and preferably free.

Wampus
08-12-2013, 03:55 PM
I use it because I like the sweet smell of it and it seems to give the meats a nice red/mahogany color. I also use it because I have a CHITLOAD of it on my property so I get it for the price of an aching back, gas and chain oil.

Of course....I also like apple (there's an orchard behind my property) too.
I also have oak on the property and a bit of it split and stacked as well.

There's other woods I like too, but aren't as readily available. If I had pecan or peach around, I'd probably prefer those.....:rolleyes:

HankB
08-12-2013, 04:06 PM
It tastes good! It is the only wood I know that carries the flavor of the fruit into the smoke and resulting food. When I taste food smoked with cherry I can taste a subtle cherry flavor in it.

I just got a bunch of it myself. They were cutting down a very large cherry a couple houses down from me so I snagged a few logs (after having picked some up curb side a week before. ;) )

Jaskew82
08-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I prefer cherry wood as well. It is a mild smoke wood that gives great flavor and great color. Goes with damn near anything.

MisterChrister
08-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Because KCquer said so.

columbia1
08-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Cherry is about the only wood we use anymore, it goes well with all meats, provides a nice reddish appearance, burns extremely well in our pit, and it is very abundant around here.

Mrdeville
08-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Can you really taste the flavor of the cherry wood? I use different woods and can't really taste a difference. They may smell a little different when burning but.... Maybe it's just me.

Lake Dogs
08-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Because it gives the meat a nice apple smoked flavor.

Oh, wait.

marubozo
08-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Can you really taste the flavor of the cherry wood? I use different woods and can't really taste a difference. They may smell a little different when burning but.... Maybe it's just me.

Can you taste the difference between something cooked with hickory vs. something cooked with a mild fruit wood? It's no big deal if you can't as everybody's taste buds are different, but there is most certainly a difference in flavor.

A lot of it could also have to do with the types of rub and sauce used. It is possible to use strong seasonings and flavors there that will mask some of the more subtle differences in the wood.

Try a little experiment and do a simple cook with different woods. Do something simple with just a salt and pepper rub and only change the wood and see if you can pick up any differences. I bet you'd be surprised.

charrederhead
08-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Because I like its aroma better than the rest.

sdbbq1234
08-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I use cherry, but I mix with other stronger woods like hickory.

wallace

gmag
08-12-2013, 07:55 PM
For mild smoke flavor and color. I use it regularly.

IamMadMan
08-12-2013, 08:35 PM
1) Availability
2) Personal preference
3) Universal wood for most meats (Pork, Beef, Poultry, Game)
4) Nice mild smoke flavor
5) Tints food a light reddish brown and make good conversation, especially with chicken and pork.

When I cook for a group I use cherry to highlight to cook and display the reddish pork butts glazed with apple spray. Brings many people to your area as people search for food with their eyes. While the tint is only superficial and the inside is normal in color, it helps you stand out in the crowds...

http://post11.org/Pictures/butt.JPG

UF_Aero
08-12-2013, 09:31 PM
^^^^ All excellent points, in particular #3 and #4. I use cherry because it's a relatively mild wood, so it's a bit harder to go overboard. Of course that depends on what you're smoking. My family likes chicken more than cow, and poultry tends to be unforgiving with too much smoke, so for me, fruitwoods are easier to use than nut woods.

But I have to agree with charrederhead, the aroma is pretty awesome too.

HankB
08-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Try a little experiment and do a simple cook with different woods. Do something simple with just a salt and pepper rub and only change the wood and see if you can pick up any differences. I bet you'd be surprised.
Yes, YES! I've done this. In fact, that was my motivation for making a mini-WSM. I did two each of several kinds of meat, fish and fowl. One was sampled immediately :hungry: and the other was set aside and frozen for later side by side sampling. It was when we did the paler side by side sampling that I realized that I could actually taste cherry flavor in the meats smoked with cherry wood.

And aside from that, there are differences between the various woods and some work better with certain meats.

This is a very worthwhile experiment.

cheapbeer
08-12-2013, 11:04 PM
I got a ton of it, falls over in storms and such. cant think of a better use for it besides my fireplace....

Bigrolltide1877
08-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Ive noticed cherry burns alot hotter. I like using cherry but i always mix it with hickory. just cherry alone doesn't give me the smoke flavor im looking for.
My dad doesn't like cherry at all he got a mixed load the last time he got a load of wood. so need less to say ive been using all the cherry. Dad uses strictly hickory and sometimes oak. He like alot of smoke.

frognot
08-13-2013, 04:52 AM
I use it because I like the sweet smell of it and it seems to give the meats a nice red/mahogany color. I also use it because I have a CHITLOAD of it on my property so I get it for the price of an aching back, gas and chain oil.

i had the privilege of receiving some of Wampus' cherry wood & i love the smell of cherry wood smoking. Really good to use on pork or chicken.

That being said, i mostly use pecan because my son brought me a truckload of it (but it sure doesn't smell as nice as the cherry).

Because KCquer said so.

You beat me to it. Here's a link to info about our late cherry wood lovin' brother who always said ""Any wood is good for smoking as long as it's Cherry" http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

aarolar
08-13-2013, 06:16 AM
What cherry tree are you using exactly? We have something here in south Georgia we call a cherry tree but nobody eats the fruit and its kinda a trashy tree that populates fence rows and such. When I burn it in my stove during the winter it gives a real strong sweet smell. I'll have to determine the proper name for it.

AWaters
08-13-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm just gonna back up what others are saying. Cherry is probably my favorite wood for smoking. Beautiful color, good taste, but not overpowering. I did not know it was my favorite until my dad gave me some leftover splits from a big cherry he cut down. Once I gave it a whirl, I was hooked.

I tend to use it straight for poultry and mix in hickory for ribs and butts. I never really use cherry for brisket, though, as I prefer a touch of mesquite up front and oak for the rest for most things beefy.

It does make things a little more difficult when I mix woods on my stick burner. The cherry and the hickory, for example, burn much differently. The hickory is more prone to develop a bit more dirty smoke at first, but then settles down to a more stable temp better. The cherry "catches" cleaner, but then burns a bit hotter, causing a little bounce in the temp. Just another reason to know your smoker...

Alex

CarolinaQue
08-13-2013, 08:42 AM
I find it interesting that some say they can taste a cherry flavor in the meat when using cherry wood for smoking? Most of the cherry wood used for smoking is wild or "black" cherry which doesn't produce a fruit but is commonly used for furniture making.

I use cherry because it's widely available here and it does produce a very nice mild smoke that is good with all meats. I really like to mix it with white oak or hickory.

Phubar
08-13-2013, 08:55 AM
So...that red-ish colour that cherry gives is different than mahogany colour?

Smoking Westy
08-13-2013, 09:31 AM
I prefer cherry wood as well. It is a mild smoke wood that gives great flavor and great color. Goes with damn near anything.

^^^^^This right here is why cherry is my go to.

CuriousLayman
08-13-2013, 11:10 AM
I like cherry as well. I'm not experienced enough to compare all the woods. But I had some, liked it, liked the way it smelled burning etc. I have hickory too, but mostly use the cherry. I'm sure you could fool me in a blind taste test though.