PDA

View Full Version : wife "lost" my thermapen

coastal
08-10-2013, 06:29 PM
That I have had maybe a month. She gets on cleaning kicks and throws stuff away, washes things in the dishwasher that cant handle etc.. this is not new. I have grilled her about it over and over. Showed her this specifically, do not wash it. I kept it in my office most days because I was afraid she would try to wash it when I was at work.

Well we had friends over last night. I cooked. Left it out on the counter after the meal and today it is gone. She went on a massive cleaning kick last night because her parents were stopping by this today..i suspect it was victim to one of her cleaning raids..she washed it broke it and hide the evidence.

Just needed to rant, nothing I can do now, and I will probably never get another one because I cant justify that purchase again..maybe in a couple years

RIP Blue

aawa
08-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Time to make her buy you another one!

HuskerMan
08-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Nah teach her a lesson and buy another one right now. It will only take buying so many thermapen's before she gets the point.

GC8
08-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Hey, on the bright side, at least she's cleaning the house :-P

ssv3
08-10-2013, 06:34 PM
New wife

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Dang. Sorry to hear that.

I have a CDN DTQ450X ProAccurate Quick-Read Thermometer
as a backup. You can calibrate it, it has a small tip and is pretty fast.

LMAJ
08-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I will send you a thermapen if you send your wife to come to my house and get on a cleaning kick!!

letdasmokeroll
08-10-2013, 06:41 PM
new wife

hahahahahaha!!!!!

cheapbeer
08-10-2013, 07:12 PM
They have a buy 2 and save sale right now. Seems like she gave you a license to order.....

Teleking
08-10-2013, 07:12 PM
She just got an awesome b-day present to order for herself!

coastal
08-10-2013, 07:21 PM
She just got an awesome b-day present to order for herself!

Haha our anniversary is coming up this Thursday. . Should I get it engraved with my name too. (Well honey if you cant use it I giess I can take it)

if i did do that..she would probably become America's next great grillmaster with it and never let me use it just to spite me.

Cobra7
08-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Grounds for divorce

N8man
08-10-2013, 07:33 PM
condolences....

aawa
08-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Time to lose your wife until she decides to find you a thermapen!

Teleking
08-10-2013, 07:40 PM
On a side note my significant other knows what I spent on my blue and had a kaniption... And uses it more than me for baking.

Teamfour
08-10-2013, 07:54 PM
If your spouse is hiding things from you, you have bigger problems than a thermapen. Now go buy the fastest orange one!

ajstrider
08-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Divorce, I will put up the retainer fee for the lawyer.

samfsu
08-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Grounds for divorce. The judge will understand.

Harbormaster
08-10-2013, 08:08 PM
This is why no one is allowed to touch my knives or my Thermapens.

My family is like the USPS. Whatever they don't destroy, they lose.

(Apologies to any USPS employees. I didn't make that joke up.)

str8upcop04
08-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Why can't you justify the purchase? A high end thermometer is essential....you obviously have the fever, don't do a disservice to your passion of smoking and not replace the Thermapen! Can you say OCD having wife. Seriously though buy another one they are almost important as the meat itself... Good luck and yes I appreciate clean things as well but the Thermapen.....when is enough enough?

loco_engr
08-10-2013, 09:52 PM
somewhere in the BBQ'rs Book of Knowledge, prob 1st chapter:
something like this:

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission"!

93vpmod
08-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Buy a new one and make it known that there is a specific place where it is to be kept.

I bought the fastest "White Lightning" and placed it alongside the silverware tray in the silverware drawer. It is always there...alongside the backlight "Blue Racer" that I just had to get as well.

SurrealOne
08-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Sounds just like my wife. She'd lose her head if it wasn't attached to her body. Don't matter what it is...keys, debit and credit cards, shoes...my maverick... I feel your pain.

marubozo
08-10-2013, 11:08 PM
You bought a slow blue one? Good riddance it's gone!

j/k of course, and I can relate. I've caught my wife trying to put a $300 knife into the dishwasher before. Needless to say, for years now we have a happy marriage where it's just a silent agreement that I cook AND clean, even though I hate cleaning.

Damn True
08-11-2013, 12:19 AM
In the interest of the safety of your beloved family and friends it must be replaced. I mean, how would she feel if someone fell ill because you weren't able to reliably ensure foods were cooked to a safe temperature?

Frank Mahovlich
08-11-2013, 02:16 AM
That I have had maybe a month. She gets on cleaning kicks and throws stuff away, washes things in the dishwasher that cant handle etc.. this is not new. I have grilled her about it over and over. Showed her this specifically, do not wash it. I kept it in my office most days because I was afraid she would try to wash it when I was at work.

Well we had friends over last night. I cooked. Left it out on the counter after the meal and today it is gone. She went on a massive cleaning kick last night because her parents were stopping by this today..i suspect it was victim to one of her cleaning raids..she washed it broke it and hide the evidence.

Just needed to rant, nothing I can do now, and I will probably never get another one because I cant justify that purchase again..maybe in a couple years

RIP Blue
Time for a replacement ASAP. Then git you a brand spanking new replacement Thermapen.

Jason TQ
08-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Sounds like you should start making things of hers that she really cares about disappear.

MI Smoke
08-11-2013, 07:17 AM
You bought a slow blue one? Good riddance it's gone!

j/k of course, and I can relate. I've caught my wife trying to put a $300 knife into the dishwasher before. Needless to say, for years now we have a happy marriage where it's just a silent agreement that I cook AND clean, even though I hate cleaning.

U kiddin? my wife would do something like that just to get out of cleaning if it would work :grin:

I'd buy a new thermopen, and put the invoice out on the counter where she can see how much they cost.

silverfinger
08-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Once my wife discovered my thermapen mine came up missing all the time.
She was using it. She had me buy her a pink one. Now we have a his & hers.

Oh ya. Mine was missing half the summer.
I misplaced it and was using hers.
She was not to happy about that.

Just get another one next time they are on sale.
The other one will show up and then you will have a backup.

ButtBurner
08-11-2013, 07:24 AM
If your spouse is hiding things from you, you have bigger problems than a thermapen. Now go buy the fastest orange one!

thats my first thought

if she is hiding something trivial like that from you, what else is she hiding?

not good

Bigdog
08-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Oh damn, gonna hafta get one of the new cool ones with the backlight. And yes, they do come in blue. :thumb:

Bludawg
08-11-2013, 08:21 AM
I think I'll send her a Dozen Roses for doing you this favor "As you can not cook great BBQ on consistent basis cooking to a temperature, It must be cooked by feel!" Besides that she keeps the palace clean, She my friend is a Keeper count your blessings you have a rare gem and stop obsessing over stuff you can get another thermo pen her not so much.

coastal
08-11-2013, 08:37 AM
LOOK WHAT I FOUND THIS MORNING!!! Wife must have thrown it in the baby's pack and play while cleaning the counters!

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t544/coastalchris52/20130811_092025_zps31e307b4.jpg

DBH
08-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Hell, if my wife would clean more I would sacrifice a thermapen now and then.

Jason TQ
08-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I think I'll send her a Dozen Roses for doing you this favor "As you can not cook great BBQ on consistent basis cooking to a temperature, It must be cooked by feel!" Besides that she keeps the palace clean, She my friend is a Keeper count your blessings you have a rare gem and stop obsessing over stuff you can get another thermo pen her not so much.

You do know thermapens/thermometers can be used on non bbq food in general right for people who want to say temp a chicken breast cooked in the oven or for those that like to temp steaks or heat water to a certain temp for tea? A very large portion of folks here use the gadgets to help monitor things and it really seems to bother you :-P. Not sure why you are so concerned with how others cook. It doesn't bother them. You can let it go. The thermapens can't hurt you anymore I promise :becky:. Oh and what's with your dog anus pic?

IamMadMan
08-11-2013, 09:15 AM
LOOK WHAT I FOUND THIS MORNING!!! Wife must have thrown it in the baby's pack and play while cleaning the counters!

gives new mean to checking temperatures... LOL

I hope you already ordered a new one "Wink - Wink" because now you will have 2...

Teamfour
08-11-2013, 09:28 AM

You better ask your wife if she used it as a rectal thermometer.:mmph::grin:

The_Kapn
08-11-2013, 09:33 AM
One of mine seemed to disappear frequently in the kitchen.
Always found it in Mrs Kapn's "Misc" drawer. 8)

So, I bought her one for her very own.
Problem solved 8)

We use ours for a lot of things, not just BBQ, for the narrow minded. 8)

TIM

coastal
08-11-2013, 09:34 AM
You better ask your wife if she used it as a rectal thermometer.:mmph::grin:

I didnt even think of that! I just got back a friend I thought I lost forever. .its terrible to think blue might have been violated while we were apart!

hachi-roku_fan
08-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Haha my wife does the same when she goes on her cleaning raids. Luckily for me, it's replaceable stuff, like bills and checks that can be paid for and reissued. And yes I have grilled her many a time about this so I know how that conversation went. I would ask of she used it on that kid lol

smokinb
08-11-2013, 10:40 AM
I love the idea of buying her a therms pen for her bday, or Christmas, or anniversary, or whatever come next. And don't screw up and leave the new one out.

My wife, after sticker shock, bought me a PINK one for my birthday. I smile very time I use it.

Crazy Harry
08-11-2013, 11:26 AM

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t544/coastalchris52/20130811_092025_zps31e307b4.jpg

You found a hidden baby???