PDA

View Full Version : Help! - boston butt & ABT's on the MINI WSM

BecknCO
08-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Hey all -

I've been researching this site, the road map, and amazing ribs, and my head is spinning with all the info. I'm just not sure how to go about this with the mini wsm with so many different pits being used and so many different approaches. I feel like if I just ask you guys who have done this exclusively on the mini wsm, I can narrow down my approach and technique.

I made a small 2.5lb one on the 22.5 OTS a few months ago and it turned out like friggen jerky. Quite frankly, I'm having people over and I'm scared I'm going to look like an idiot (more than usual).

I picked up an expensive azz berkshire bone in butt at Whole Paycheck that's about 4.25lbs (biggest they had), and some stuff for ABT's. I have all day tomorrow to do this on this mini wsm, but I'm not sure what temps to run, when to foil etc. I'd like to get done around 6-7pm, and I'm just plain scurred that I'm going to screw up this $20 hunk o' piggy.

Here are a couple questions I have so far for those that have done this on the mini wsm (also general questions because I haven't pinned down my plan yet):

- Should I let the rub sit overnight? (not planning to inject)

- When should I start and what temps are recommended? (not planning on using a water pan unless you guys convince me otherwise)

- The butt's definitely got to go on the top rack due to space and the ABT's on the bottom - when should I throw the ABT's on?

- Foil when it hits the stall? I think I really want to try this since my last one I did not and it came out like leather despite using two water pans on the kettle.

- If I do foil at the stall , what temp should I be running the pit at?

- After it's done, how long in foil (does using an oven instead of a cambro make a difference?

Thanks so much in advance for helping a true patio pariah and overall noob!

jrn
08-10-2013, 04:28 PM
I'd recommend 7 - 10lb butts. I don't think you're gonna get good results with butts that small.

Bludawg
08-10-2013, 05:24 PM
yep if it aint at least 8 lbs it don't come home. However you got to go with what you got. At 250 deg that butt will take about 1 hr & 15 mn Lb + a two hr rest. You need to cook it to an internal temp of between 195-210. Remove it after the first 3 hrs wrap it in Aluminum foil like a christmass present.and put it into a preheated 275 oven until the internal temp hits 195 then turn off the oven and let it soak until your ready to pull it. Drain & retain the juices in the foil pull the meat add the juices back and mix it up.

BecknCO
08-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys - I'm not sure why I can't get bigger ones easily. Since it's so small, and I'm not using a water pan or injecting, should I spritz with apple juice while it cooks?

Smoking at 250 is helpful, was thinking 225 per amazingribs. Should I wrap it and put it in the oven after 3 hours no matter what the temp? Or should I wait till it hits the stall or about 160?

I asked my chica if she'd make chicken enchildadas....she asks if I asked her to do that because I'm worried about how the butt will turn out.....yes :oops:

chickenchoker
08-10-2013, 06:18 PM
no need to spritz. there will be enough steam and moisture in the foil. you just lose your temp anyway spritzing. I would wrap beteween one sixty and one eighty depending on color. when it looks nice wrap it til it hits temp

aawa
08-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys - I'm not sure why I can't get bigger ones easily. Since it's so small, and I'm not using a water pan or injecting, should I spritz with apple juice while it cooks?

Should I wrap it and put it in the oven after 3 hours no matter what the temp? Or should I wait till it hits the stall or about 160?

I asked my chica if she'd make chicken enchildadas....she asks if I asked her to do that because I'm worried about how the butt will turn out.....yes :oops:

With it being a Berkshire pork butt, I dont think you will need to inject it. It should have plenty of fat and connective tissue that will self-baste the butt. Only wrap if your bark is getting to dark, or too dry for your liking.

Cooking temperature will all be dependent on when you start your cook and when you need it done by.

225-235 degrees takes about 2 hours per pound
240-250 takes about 1.5 hours per pound
275-300 takes about 1 hour 15mins per pound
325+ will take 50mins or less per pound. (I did a 8lb pork butt at 350 degrees today in about 5 hours)

Putting the rub on, I would recommend putting the rub on the night before you plan to cook, but if you don't rub it till the morning of that is ok.

I have cooked about 25 pork butts in my mini's since I built them last August.

I would recommend cooking between 250-275 degrees. No need for a water pan as Berkshire pork will provide plenty of moisture in the cooking chamber. Cook it till it passes the bone wiggle test (wiggle the bone and if it releases from the meat easily the meat is done) Once it passes the bone wiggle test, take it off the smoker and let it sit for 20mins on the counter. Then wrap it and place in the oven (turned off) for at least 1 hour to rest (i actually prefer resting for 2-3 hours but 1 hour is plenty of rest time) The pork butt will remain hot and very easy to pull.

Oink Oink
08-10-2013, 06:26 PM
It looks like you are already in good hands on this thread

BecknCO
08-10-2013, 06:35 PM
no need to spritz. there will be enough steam and moisture in the foil. you just lose your temp anyway spritzing. I would wrap beteween one sixty and one eighty depending on color. when it looks nice wrap it til it hits temp

What about spritzing it while it smokes before I hit the stall and wrap?

BecknCO
08-10-2013, 06:37 PM

With it being a Berkshire pork butt, I dont think you will need to inject it. It should have plenty of fat and connective tissue that will self-baste the butt. Only wrap if your bark is getting to dark, or too dry for your liking.

Cooking temperature will all be dependent on when you start your cook and when you need it done by.

225-235 degrees takes about 2 hours per pound
240-250 takes about 1.5 hours per pound
275-300 takes about 1 hour 15mins per pound
325+ will take 50mins or less per pound. (I did a 8lb pork butt at 350 degrees today in about 5 hours)

Putting the rub on, I would recommend putting the rub on the night before you plan to cook, but if you don't rub it till the morning of that is ok.

I have cooked about 25 pork butts in my mini's since I built them last August.

I would recommend cooking between 250-275 degrees. No need for a water pan as Berkshire pork will provide plenty of moisture in the cooking chamber. Cook it till it passes the bone wiggle test (wiggle the bone and if it releases from the meat easily the meat is done) Once it passes the bone wiggle test, take it off the smoker and let it sit for 20mins on the counter. Then wrap it and place in the oven (turned off) for at least 1 hour to rest (i actually prefer resting for 2-3 hours but 1 hour is plenty of rest time) The pork butt will remain hot and very easy to pull.

You can really let it cool while wrapped in foil in an OFF oven or cambro for 2-3 hours and it'll still be hot? Btw - saw your hot and fast butt post and that looks amazing. I hope I'll get as good as you guys one day :clap:

aawa
08-10-2013, 06:41 PM

The only time you want to spritz is after the bark has formed. If you spritz before hand your bark won't form as well.

I personally wouldn't bother spritzing if you are worried about this cook. Introducing another unnecessary step to the cooking process is one way to get yourself confused about how to cook bbq.

If you are worried about your cook because friends are coming over KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!!!!

1. Rub the night before
2. Put in smoker at a time and temperature where you can finish at least 2 hours prior to serving
3. Remove from smoker when it passes the bone wiggle test
4. Let it rest for minimum 1 hour, 2-4 hours of resting won't hurt it either.
5. Pull the pork
6. Serve the pork
7. Receive high praise from your friends because they think that the pulled pork is amazing.

aawa
08-10-2013, 06:44 PM

You can really let it cool while wrapped in foil in an OFF oven or cambro for 2-3 hours and it'll still be hot? Btw - saw your hot and fast butt post and that looks amazing. I hope I'll get as good as you guys one day :clap:

I have done 4-6 pork butts, wrapped them in foil and placed them in my oven that was turned off and they kept hot for 6+ hours. I have pulled them out at 5 hours and it was still to hot to handle with bare hands and had to use forks to shred them. Bone in pork butts keep hot for a long time if you wrap them tightly in foil.

And thanks for the compliment! I actually didn't start bbqing till last year. But reading this forum has given me a lot of knowledge and then a lot of practice has helped me along. I bbq something 2-4 times a week :p