PDA

View Full Version : Corn Tortillas

southernsmoker
08-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I have a case of 6 in yellow corn tortillas must be 500 or more ...what the heck can I do with them???

They're kind of hard and tasteless, fry em deep fry em er what?

Corn tortilla newbie...:cry::icon_blush:

Moose
08-10-2013, 11:34 AM
That's a lot of tortillas! You could cut them into triangles and fry them up so you have fresh chips...

gtr
08-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Fry 'em up!

Bludawg
08-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Lot's of nachos, layered taco salad, Chilaquiles, Huevos Rancheros, Toastadas, Mexican Lasagna AKA Stacked Enchiladas,

Dr. Trout Bum
08-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Real enchiladas are made with corn tortillas. Try this to start:

Put some canola oil in a skillet on medium heat. Put in a tortilla, flip it, drain it on a platter with paper towels. Repeat. This doesn't take long, it softens them up. Now put one on an oven safe plate, cover with a layer of your favorite enchilada sauce, cover in shrededed cheddar cheese - continue until your stack is 3 or 4 tortillas deep. Finish with a sauce/cheese layer. Now stick it under the broiler until the chese melts.

Repeat when you decide this is really good. Once you go corn, you'll never eat an enchilada with a flour tortilla again.

Need sauce recommendations?

Bob in St. Louis
08-10-2013, 12:12 PM
^^^ What he said.
Steam them and use them for burritos is what I do often.

You can even nuke them for about 9 seconds for burrito duty if you're in a hurry and lazy (like me sometimes).

Or......
Main them to me. I'll eat 'em for ya. ;)

Garrett
08-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Sounds like a good problem to have.

Bludawg
08-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Once you go corn, you'll never eat an enchilada with a flour tortilla again. Folks get hung for this round here. Gringos:tsk:

Smokeat
08-10-2013, 12:48 PM
I think you have to freeze them. They probably will not be suitable for tacos(soft), or for eating with just butter and hot sauce out of hand, when defrosted. But you should be able to make tortilla chips and baked enchiladas for a long damn time!

BTW, 500 tortillas is really not many, we buy sacks that have over 100. We go through these in a couple of weeks, if we are not eating a taco intensive diet. So a case must have more than just 500 pieces, or it is a really small box.

southernsmoker
08-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the tips sounds really good...

southernsmoker
08-10-2013, 01:04 PM
I think you have to freeze them. They probably will not be suitable for tacos(soft), or for eating with just butter and hot sauce out of hand, when defrosted. But you should be able to make tortilla chips and baked enchiladas for a long damn time!

BTW, 500 tortillas is really not many, we buy sacks that have over 100. We go through these in a couple of weeks, if we are not eating a taco intensive diet. So a case must have more than just 500 pieces, or it is a really small box.

I believe it has 12 packages of 60 in each.. Casa Solana brand..

SmokeWatcher
08-11-2013, 09:00 AM
... Once you go corn, you'll never eat an enchilada with a flour tortilla again....
I didn't know people even used flour tortillas in enchiladas! What's wrong with people???

Dr. Trout Bum
08-12-2013, 09:08 AM
I didn't know people even used flour tortillas in enchiladas! What's wrong with people???

There are all kinds of crazy out there...it happens.

SmokinJohn
08-12-2013, 09:13 AM
you can send me some

Goyo626
08-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Do you know the brand of tortilla? After eating tortillas with the majority of my meals I will tell you that not all tortillas are created equally. Some have preservatives but usually have a cardboard texture. Quality tortillas usually have no perservatives but must be consumed relatively quickly. Do you know the brand of the tortillas?Edit just saw that you answered the question asked.

In the ingredients does it list any perservatives?

Tonybel
08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Lot's of nachos, layered taco salad, Chilaquiles, Huevos Rancheros, Toastadas, Mexican Lasagna AKA Stacked Enchiladas,

Ditto what bludawg said..

deguerre
08-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Toss 'em at your dog like a frisbee. Watch their accuracy at catching improve with every throw.