PDA

View Full Version : Viking smoker, would you buy one now?

SOB
08-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Looks like there are still some new ones of these still available on the internet. Would you guys buy one or go for a company still making the product, say stumps, rebel, assassin.
Anyone have one?

IamMadMan
08-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Looks like there are still some new ones of these still available on the internet. Would you guys buy one or go for a company still making the product, say stumps, rebel, assassin.
Anyone have one?

For the price of a Viking you could get a Stumps, Backwoods, or a Humphrey's and still have money left over...

SOB
08-09-2013, 09:53 PM
You can find some close out specials right now from some wholesalers.

IamMadMan
08-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Bottom line is that you have to buy a smoker that fits your needs or you will never be happy with it. Think about your needs, not your wants....

Good luck.

Garrett
08-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Bottom line is that you have to buy a smoker that fits your needs or you will never be happy with it. Think about your needs, not your wants....

Good luck.

That's the best advice I've heard when it comes to picking out a cooker. Here's how I look at the Jambos, yeah they're one bad arse pit but I can't justify the price to just cook for the wife and kids. Get the pit that fits your needs.

coastal
08-10-2013, 08:47 AM
For the price of a Viking you could get a Stumps, Backwoods, or a Humphrey's and still have money left over...

Where do you get that. You can find the viking 30 for around 2k now And 36 for around 3, 200 What were they orginally?

coastal
08-10-2013, 10:12 AM
At this price it might be worth it for me. From what I can gather its a stainless stumps but much cheaper. Did these have problems or any other reason they stopped making them?

4uweque
08-10-2013, 05:24 PM
They were made by Stumps. I would buy one.

K-Barbecue
08-10-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm also interested if anyone has one or any other information. I've been looking at it and the Stumps too.

SOB
08-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Ya theses things look sweet. Let's hope someone chimes in here.

Bob Wiley
08-11-2013, 03:25 PM
I bought the 36" about a year ago.

Minor annoyance, the casters were inadequate for the size of the smoker. It arrived with 2 casters on and 2 casters off (I know not why) and the 2 that were on were bent inwards. I bought some heavy duty casters from grainger's and had the local welding shop fabricate some custom fittings. It looked beautiful, problem solved.

!st cook, food was good, easy to hold temp without need for automated controller, etc. It did a good job. One note, the top right (charcoal shoot side) gets too hot to hold your hand on, the top left is warm but doesn't burn the hand. So insulation is ok but not great. Also, the outside stainless skin is screwed on without welded seams. The seams are filled with silicone caulk that starts coming out pretty soon.

Then the burn out according to the instruction manual. Open ball valve and let charcoal burn out. I did that and the real problems surfaced.

Major warpage
The cooking liner bowed inwards so the racks wouldn't slide freely.
The door hinges warped and cracked.
The door no longer had a tight seal

Maybe the 30 inch is good to go but I would steer clear of the 36 inch.

coastal
08-11-2013, 04:01 PM
I bought the 36" about a year ago.

Minor annoyance, the casters were inadequate for the size of the smoker. It arrived with 2 casters on and 2 casters off (I know not why) and the 2 that were on were bent inwards. I bought some heavy duty casters from grainger's and had the local welding shop fabricate some custom fittings. It looked beautiful, problem solved.

!st cook, food was good, easy to hold temp without need for automated controller, etc. It did a good job. One note, the top right (charcoal shoot side) gets too hot to hold your hand on, the top left is warm but doesn't burn the hand. So insulation is ok but not great. Also, the outside stainless skin is screwed on without welded seams. The seams are filled with silicone caulk that starts coming out pretty soon.

Then the burn out according to the instruction manual. Open ball valve and let charcoal burn out. I did that and the real problems surfaced.

Major warpage
The cooking liner bowed inwards so the racks wouldn't slide freely.
The door hinges warped and cracked.
The door no longer had a tight seal

Maybe the 30 inch is good to go but I would steer clear of the 36 inch.

Great info. I will now cross viking off thw wishlist for good. If I spend 2 to 3k I need to know its good quality because it will be the last thing I buy for a long long while