PDA

View Full Version : Left beef ribs out on counter by accident

pmezo
08-08-2013, 09:40 PM
So I picked up a couple racks of beef back ribs at the grocery store and left them out on the counter, like an idiot, for about 3.5-4 hours. They were raw and not frozen when I left them out. What would you guys do? You think I should just toss them?

Rusty Kettle
08-08-2013, 09:48 PM
When in doubt throw it out. Seriously, I use to work in food service and if something like that would have happened we would throw it out. It is not worth getting sick over. You eat it and you get sick or your family and friends get sick from it was it worth it? Nope So be smart and toss it out
and go get some new fresh ribs and try to remember to put it away when you get home.

SmittyJonz
08-08-2013, 10:39 PM
I'd cook them- Smoke cures/kills everything.........:grin:

I put my rub on and let the meat "sweat' for 3-4 hrs on the counter the nite before then into fridge overnite-all the time. Beef, Pork both.

pmezo
08-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm on the fence here. I really don't want to get or give my family food poisoning over $20, but if they're still good to go, I don't want to throw them out. It's a really nice couple racks of ribs I've got here.

marubozo
08-08-2013, 10:46 PM
That's a pretty long time. Even though something like ribs will be cooked to a far more than well done state and kill any bacteria, what the cooking process won't do is neutralize some toxins that said bacteria may have already created in the time it was sitting out.

While there's a pretty good chance things would turn out just fine if you cooked them, messing with even the slim possibility of severe or even fatal consequences isn't worth it IMO.

Rusty Kettle
08-08-2013, 10:55 PM
My wife said if you like your family and friends don't serve it to them but if you don't like them serve it to them and watch what happens. Seriously though don't do it. You may regret it later. Always follow the when in doubt throw it out rule. It just is not worth a little lost money you may spend more on medical bills than to just replace the meet. Food poisoning can be serious and you should not mess around with it at all. If you decide to do it anyways eat them your self and don't make others sick.

pmezo
08-08-2013, 11:04 PM
That's a shame - I actually do like them. Goodbye beef ribs then. I hardly knew ya.

SmittyJonz
08-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Well atleast smoke them for the guys at work..........:wink:

thunter
08-08-2013, 11:41 PM
When in doubt throw it out. Seriously, I use to work in food service and if something like that would have happened we would throw it out. It is not worth getting sick over. You eat it and you get sick or your family and friends get sick from it was it worth it? Nope So be smart and toss it out
and go get some new fresh ribs and try to remember to put it away when you get home.

I agree, +1, and Like! :-o

Haastyle
08-09-2013, 12:55 AM
With Beef you were still fine with that time slot, but you needed to cook them right away that night. When it doubt... sure, throw it out, but first I woudl advise you take the ServeSafe course so you KNOW the do's and don'ts, and where you have room to wiggle around. You're still ok, get that smoker firing.

If food was as toxic as TV pumps out all the time, it would be outlawed. Even as those talking heads yap about chicken being so horrible, you sit and watch them cross contaminate everything right on the set of those cooking shows.

Food service is a bit different just due to the volume of food they are preparing and time constraints/stock rotation. For a guy with two racks of ribs , that he just bought, in his own home where you know the level of general cleanliness..... yeah, you are more than fine.

SmokinJohn
08-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Penalty Box for you!

Haastyle
08-09-2013, 01:03 AM
yeah yeah.

luke duke
08-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to cook them.

Yellowhair42
08-09-2013, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to cook them.

Me either. :hungry:

pmezo
08-09-2013, 11:50 AM
So we're about 50/50 here. Has anyone ever left meat out for that long and didn't get sick? What to do... what to do...

The plan is to wait until sunday to smoke them, so they'll be sitting in the fridge for another couple days.

markdtn
08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Frozen I'd kept them. Since they were raw, I would throw them out. You would PROBABLY be OK, but if you have ever had food poisioning-you don't want to again.

gtr
08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
If it was just for me and they were going directly into the cooker, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd fling 'em. I'd hate it if one of my kids or my wife got sick and I had to tell 'em I was trying to save 20 bucks. I'm guessing the risk is probably low, but there is still a risk. I'll take risks with myself, but not anybody else. "When in doubt throw it out" is a good guide. I've had food poisoning from restaurants a couple times. It really sucks.

RatRod
08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
I'd cook em with ZERO hesitation..... Still wouldn't ride around in a truck with a propane tank in it , or use a galvanized bolt in my cooker..... Have been known to run with scissors though so wadda I know :biggrin1:

bananablack
08-09-2013, 12:06 PM
cook em

pmezo
08-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Should have done a poll.

shares
08-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Those ribs are just fine. I regularly leave a tri-tip out for that long to make sure it's at room temp before going on.

Also, they were in the safety zone when you left them out, I think you've got 4 hours outside the safety zone anyway.

Yellowhair42
08-09-2013, 01:21 PM
So we're about 50/50 here. Has anyone ever left meat out for that long and didn't get sick? What to do... what to do...

The plan is to wait until sunday to smoke them, so they'll be sitting in the fridge for another couple days.

I once defrosted a package of chicken thighs in the microwave and forgot about them until the next day after work. Cooked them up and ate them all. No problem whatsoever.:clap2:

ssv3
08-09-2013, 01:27 PM
4 hrs is nothing. I would cook them.

mr_ski73
08-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I take meat from meat counter at store and continue shopping(30 min), I drive all the way to my house after shopping (30-40min), I unload truck and place ribs, butt, or brisket in sink still sealed in store bought pakage and put up other groceries(30 min), I get counter cleaned and everything out and ready, mix rub, open package and trim meat, rub, put in basting pan and cover(30-40), go out and start coals, get wood ready in stick burner, add coals, wait for temp to come up to 200-225(30-45min)...

looks like i'm pushing 3-4 hours every time I cook at home. cook lots of meat, feed lots of people. Never been sick.... i'm just sayn.

Now, that being said. The book says throw it away!!!!

bodcat
08-09-2013, 04:46 PM
I would cook them without worries. 4 hrs isn't that long.

Big Dan
08-09-2013, 05:32 PM
I would cook them and eat them. When I was in the military, When we were in the Philippines, we would kill our own dinner and it would sometimes sit on the table all day before cooking. The temp in the Philippines is high 90's. You will be okay.

MisterChrister
08-09-2013, 05:36 PM
I'd cook and eat them after twice that long. Those enzymes would have made some tender beefy goodness.

RatRod
08-09-2013, 06:21 PM
I put a frozen pork loin on the counter about 9 last night , ill put it in marinade when I get home , roughly 22 hours.... But it was frozen

PorkQBBQ
08-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Cook em up... The cave men didn't have fridges back then. Also, if the Indians can cut jerky and dry it in the sun... I think you'll be ok. I would cook them up, the only thing that might bother you is the mental aspect.. Knowing you left them out etc..

NOHENS
08-09-2013, 10:12 PM
i was always told 4 hours between 40 and 140 degrees....toss it.

KillerKaveMan
08-09-2013, 10:46 PM
the nose knows. if there's any off odor i'd toss it but 4hrs on a counter in a vac-seal bag is nothing.

If you have enough faith in supermarket meats to buy them w/o hesitation, why does 4hrs on a counter concern you? you really have no idea how that meat is or how it was handled or who was handling it. my point is that your idea of fresh from the supermarket may be a lot older than you think. i've hung deer outside for longer than 4 hours and never had an issue.

if it smells fresh, i vote to cook them up