PDA

View Full Version : Black's BBQ (Lockhart, TX) - Notice a difference ?

MilitantSquatter
08-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Black's BBQ in Lockhart TX used to sell their relatively simple rub that looked like this... That's the way it looked when I was in Lockhart.

Now their rub " Original 1932" looks like the second pic...

Notice a difference ?

I sent an e-mail to Black's a few days ago but didn't receive a response yet.

16Adams
08-07-2013, 09:29 PM
The top photo looks like Cooper's.
I have a friend getting me two large Cooper's this week.

IamMadMan
08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I guess it's not "world famous" any more..... (LOL)

landarc
08-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Looks like seasoned salt to me, in the second one.

Q-Dat
08-07-2013, 11:10 PM
It might be the same, just with a small amount of paprika oil mixed in for color.

Edit: now that I look again, it looks like there's a good bit more black pepper in the first pic.

JS-TX
08-08-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm with Landarc, looks like seasoned salt.

Neil
08-08-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm with Q-Dat, looks like paprika added for color in the second pic.

Murray in N.Z.
08-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Could it be the picture of what looks like Rastus and his woman on the front of the old ones and some other bloke on the front of the new ones?

Muzza stuck in Perth for a bit.

Gore
08-08-2013, 07:37 AM
I see what you mean. The bottles definitely are smaller now. I bet they've increased the price per bottle to compensate for the smaller size. :tsk:

deguerre
08-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Could it be the picture of what looks like Rastus and his woman on the front of the old ones and some other bloke on the front of the new ones?

Muzza stuck in Perth for a bit.

Um, seeing as to how you're from NZ and living in Oz, you probably don't know exactly what you said there...I hope...

Still time to edit...

Bludawg
08-08-2013, 09:33 AM
And just how much are you paying for a jug of salt & pepper with MSG and a little red peppa flake??
The new stuff has some paprika in it color sells other than that it is the same stuff.

Bill-Chicago
08-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm sure the professionals will chime in, but its probably the same rub.

Its not paprika.

Its an anti-clumping agent that is now widely used in rubs.

Anyone ever get the original Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy and remember the clumping and the deep dark color?

Newer version came out with the same orange hue pictured above.

I asked Stephen what was with the new rub and he said it was essentially the same recipe, just with the anticlumping agent added (which may or may not be salt based so its not changing the recipe. That part was a secret and we didnt go into it).

Long post/short: probably the same thing.

Westexbbq
08-08-2013, 10:22 AM
When Bill says anti-clumping, he means it.
I think he also nailed it.

16Adams
08-08-2013, 11:02 AM
I continue to Learn something every day from this site. And not just about the art of Q'ing. Thanks for the insight on the reddish rubs. I had noticed that most that I make are not but most that I buy are.

As for the name Rastus being derogatory at most and insensitive at the least I looked it up. In Europe it means "lovely" and is derived from the disciple Erastus. In America it's a derogatory reference. I just thought it was the name of the man on the Cream of Wheat box. I don't buy much food in a box anymore so have not thought of it in years. I actually thought bloke was a derogatory term but its just slang for fellow or guy. 50+ and still learning life's lessons.

A lesson in cultural diversity and BBQ/grilling rubs learned. I do love this forum.

cirk
08-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Not sure if I would put a pic of an old lady with no teeth on my dry rub label.

Murray in N.Z.
08-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Sorry if anyone takes offence, The name is not derogitory over here, just a name from an old T.V. show. One lives and learns about different cultures all the time.

Muzza stuck in Perth with the criminals and under arm bowlers.

jgbmgb
08-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Looks like the same rub as the 1st pick with some color added, put in smaller shaker, and charging more. No different than all other food companies have done in the past few years.

MilitantSquatter
08-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks all.

I guess what I found most interesting (but not necessarily surprising) is that a place like Black's, that dates back 80+ years, had a product on the market, and sold in their restaurant, that was the first pic... Now, it's re-merchandised, and dubbed "original recipe"and has a slightly different appearance in color.... So, the question is, did the " 1932 original recipe" actually have whatever ingredient is now making it orange-ish, then they decided not to use it, and now they decided to put it back in ? :rolleyes:

MilitantSquatter
08-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Update: I received a response back from Black's on the rub appearance as follows:

Thank you for purchasing our rub. The recipe is still the same except we added a tiny amount of flavorless, all natural caramel to give the rub a brownish color.

We ran many tests with this addition and even my grandfather, Edgar Black, could not see, taste or smell a difference. And he knows his BBQ