PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Class

scayne62
08-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Has anyone taken the BBQ 101 class at Rubs Backyard Smokehouse in Chicago, put on be Scottie Johnson? My mom bought me a seat to the class for my birthday and I go August 17th, just wondering how the class is.

Ron_L
08-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Where did you see that Scottie is teaching it? the website shows Jared Leonard.

http://www.backcountryq.com/

scayne62
08-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Just what a guy told me, apparently he was wrong. Doesn't matter to me just wondered if it was a good class or not.

Ron_L
08-08-2013, 08:04 AM
I don't know anyone who has taken the class, so I really can't help. I did confirm with Scottie that he is not the instructor.

I know Jared and he is a good cook. I've never seen him teach so i can't comment on that, but I am sure that you will learn a lot from him.

smles
08-08-2013, 08:29 AM
I have taken the class and really enjoyed it. Jared has built a nice little operation there and teaches quite a few classes a week so really has it down. Goes over background on him and bbq, basics, then gets into the cooking. Demonstrates how to cook brisket, pulled pork, ribs, truffle mac n cheese, cornbread, and I thought there was something else, but I cant remember. A really nice way to spend 3 hours and you eat good.

scayne62
08-08-2013, 08:46 AM
I have taken the class and really enjoyed it. Jared has built a nice little operation there and teaches quite a few classes a week so really has it down. Goes over background on him and bbq, basics, then gets into the cooking. Demonstrates how to cook brisket, pulled pork, ribs, truffle mac n cheese, cornbread, and I thought there was something else, but I cant remember. A really nice way to spend 3 hours and you eat good.

Thanks for the insight, I figured it was a good class, I already smoke meat every weekend and sometimes a day or two during the week just trying to improve, I am sure to pick up on some techniques and tricks from a pro. Like you said we get to eat good at the end. I like that the class is taught in the pit room so it is a hands on class not just sitting there listening to someone babble.

scayne62
08-19-2013, 10:15 AM
If anyone gets the chance to Take Jared's class at Rub Backyard BBQ Smokehouse DO IT, it was great class, very entertaining and I even learned a few things,Jared is a great host and a very personable person. HE really has no secrets,k you want to know anything about what is in his recipe's or his techniques he will tell you. He is i nit to spread the love of BBQ. Great stand up guy, and he is a BRethen

Charcoal_Addict
08-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Sounds like a worthy road trip. Here comes a Canadian Invasion in Chi-town.