PDA

View Full Version : Square vertical offset

Epicishousness
08-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Morning guys,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. I'm going to be starting a build pretty soon and am looking at my options. I have access to a 250 gallon propane tank for $75. But I also may have access to 1/4" steel plates, for the same price, that are quite large. Tread plates actually (don't know if that makes a difference). So what I am imagining is a rf horizontal offset or a (rf?) square vertical offset. Any opinions on the matter?

Thanks for reading!

Ray

oldbill
08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure how a vertical RF cooker would work. I'm having a vertical offset built that has tuning plates which will distribute the heat pretty evenly across the cooking chamber. Also one of the benefits of the vertical offset design is that the heat and smoke only have to travel sideways for a very short distance before rising toward the exhaust damper whereas with a horizontal design the heat has to travel horizontally for a longer period of time making tuning plates or a RF design necessary. I would say, if you want RF go with the propane tank for a horizontal cooker and if you want a vertical, go with the standard tuning plate design. Here's a video on the vertical offset that I'm having built, maybe it will give you some ideas!:-D Lone Star Grillz 24 inch vertical smoker.MTS - YouTube Good Luck!

DownHomeQue
08-02-2013, 10:37 AM
i say horizontal! We built mine out of the materials you have available.. Traditional Offsett with Tuning plates and a Vertical Smoke chamber which my exhaust runs through..

Yellowhair42
08-02-2013, 02:40 PM
A whole hog will go better in a horizontal if you want to do one in the future.

Epicishousness
08-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys! I'm thinking I would be happier with a horizontal, not quite the size of DownHomeQue, but still. I would love to try the whole hog, but not sure how that would work. I believe the dimensions of this tank is 24" x 84". Not exactly sure on that yet. Not sure I would ever actually do a whole hog, just think it would be a lot of fun to try.