PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a brisket smoke this weekend

wladrules
08-01-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm buying a packer brisket tomorrow after work, around 5:30 cst. Plan on a 13 lb slab of goodness! I was thinking of using a rub that allows the beef flavor to shine. I saw where Franklin's method is to use 1 part salt and 1 part pepper. Anyone ever tried that? I need suggestions. I also want a good bark without drying out the meat , foil at 165 or no?? Also want to try to make burnt ends. I want to keep it simple. Should I use my cheap stick burner or my uds? Thanks in advance fellas!

OlyQ
08-01-2013, 08:17 PM
It's beef so season like you would a good steak . Salt and pepper works but so does adding a bit of this or that....garlic,onion, etc. I found foil to not produce the best bark . And slap it in the uds , brisket machines

MilitantSquatter
08-01-2013, 08:17 PM
you've asked a lot.

S&P is simple enough.. but don't do it just because Aaron Franklin does it.. Do it because you believe that will give it the flavor you are seeking.. If not, don't be afraid to experiment a bit by adding a little garlic powder, cayenne etc.. just be sure you keep things in a good balance with adequate salt.

Foil is your choice.. If you decide, 165 is a good place or just go by when the bark has the color you like.

As far as what cooker... your choice..use what you like and what you feel most skilled at controlling... you noted a cheap offset. With a 13 lb brisket are you up to the task of keeping the relatively temps steady (at whatever temp you plan to cook at). If not, maybe UDS is way to go if it's a meat you are less familiar with.

Good Luck

wladrules
08-01-2013, 08:28 PM
you've asked a lot.

S&P is simple enough.. but don't do it just because Aaron Franklin does it.. Do it because you believe that will give it the flavor you are seeking.. If not, don't be afraid to experiment a bit by adding a little garlic powder, cayenne etc.. just be sure you keep things in a good balance with adequate salt.

Foil is your choice.. If you decide, 165 is a good place or just go by when the bark has the color you like.

As far as what cooker... your choice..use what you like and what you feel most skilled at controlling... you noted a cheap offset. With a 13 lb brisket are you up to the task of keeping the relatively temps steady (at whatever temp you plan to cook at). If not, maybe UDS is way to go if it's a meat you are less familiar with.

Good Luck

Thanks Vinny! I've used the cheap offset for brisket before. It did ok. It was a lot of work but this weekend it's supposed to be sweltering hot. Think I'll go with the uds. You brought up a good point about the rub.

mikeleonard81
08-01-2013, 10:43 PM
S&p is the way to go! maybe a little Tony Catchere's for a little spice.