PDA

View Full Version : Questions ! Combo cook butts/brisket on wsm

tajt7757
08-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Planning a smoke for a birthday bash Saturday.
Doing 1-brisket and 2-bone-in pork butts. Minion method with pecan and peach wood on my 22" wsm.
Will the two meats stall about the same time so I can foil ?
Should I put the brisk on top so it will cook faster to keep up with the butts ?
I normally just put a foiled pizza stone in the water pan w/o water.
Should I put water in the pan, I never have.
This will only be my 4th cook on my wsm and I'm liking it so far.
Any advise would be appreciated.

va_connoisseur
08-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Welcome. See my answers below.

Planning a smoke for a birthday bash Saturday.
Doing 1-brisket and 2-bone-in pork butts. Minion method with pecan and peach wood on my 22" wsm.
Will the two meats stall about the same time so I can foil ? If we could tell when the meat would stall, we'd all be richer. The stall will get there when, and if, it gets there. Be patient and have a plan. What temp are you cooking at?
Should I put the brisk on top so it will cook faster to keep up with the butts ? That could make your life easier.
I normally just put a foiled pizza stone in the water pan w/o water.
Should I put water in the pan, I never have. I have not put water in my water pan for years. No need to change now.
This will only be my 4th cook on my wsm and I'm liking it so far.
Any advise would be appreciated.

tajt7757
08-01-2013, 10:21 AM
In past cooks my wsm runs around 230-240.
I once placed a small fan blowing into one of the intake vents and got it to run at 340-350 and did two briskets in 5 hours. That was fun.
This cook I was planning on going low and slow.

John Bowen
08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Most of the time I wrap my pork butts according to the color and bark which happens around 145 - 160 degrees internal temp most of the time.

If it were me I would just pick one meat and wrap everything when you wrap that. I don't think it will be a big deal. Just keep it simple.

Also with 3 meats I don't see you needing to add any more moisture.