PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning wood?

Scuba-que
07-29-2013, 11:06 AM
My neighbor recently decided to take down an oak and a cherry tree, and is giving me almost all of the wood. My question is, do I need to let it sit for a year like firewood? Or can I throw some in the smoker this weekend?

jasonville43
07-29-2013, 11:22 AM
I have used fresh apple and cherry many times, although I preheat the wood to the point it almost turns to charcoal!!! but I have thrown some fresh apple in the firebox before and everything turned out fine :)

Phrasty
07-29-2013, 11:25 AM
It's best to let it season. Green wood and bark can produce off flavors sometimes. However I have heard of some people using fresh wood. Personally I dont. I let it season.

Cheers

DownHomeQue
07-29-2013, 11:29 AM
cherry you can use fresh.. Oak definitely let season..

Garyclaw
07-29-2013, 11:37 AM
I know it will be tempting, but I'd let it season awhile. Smaller splits will season faster, especialy with good air flow around it.

PekingPorker
07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
It's best to let it season awhile. The oak definitely needs to season. You will have a hard time getting it to burn well being that the wood is currently green. You need a really hot fire to burn green wood, even if you've preheated it.

bananablack
07-30-2013, 12:24 AM
let it season

mikeleonard81
07-30-2013, 01:36 AM
How long do you let the oak season vs. how long do you let the cherry or other fruit wood season?

mr_ski73
07-30-2013, 08:24 AM
It really depends on the type of oak, for example,some red oak needs to dry 6 months or more as where an old white oak may be ready in less then half that time. The water content determines the temp and rate of burn but IMO its more about the smell and flavor. Down here in the south our red oak is very strong and bitter until fully dried. I guess short answer would be the stronger the swell the longer it needs to season...