PDA

View Full Version : Smoking/Wood Question

Tomah5139
07-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Smoked a Butt on Saturday. Didn't feel it had a great smoke taste. I did use apple wood. Smoked it for the first two hours.

I guess my question is should I abandon the Apple wood with the Butt and use Hickory or should I just add more chunks in the smoker?

I know it all has to do with personal taste but maybe I just need to go with something a little heavier.

Any thoughts?

trufunk
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
smokeit longer what are you cooking on?

Cobra7
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
I use smoke for 8-10 hours. Try pecan or peach wood.

Tomah5139
07-24-2013, 09:18 AM
I always thought at some point the smoke didn't penetrate the meat anymore?

ICDEDTURKES
07-24-2013, 09:18 AM
I use apple exclusively in an offset and a quite a bit in the Akorn and I love it.. I find it neither mild nor strong about perfect.. As stated 2 hrs is not very long on a butt..

Mahoney86
07-24-2013, 09:21 AM

I have heard on numerous occasions that after a protein gets to 140*is stops absorbing smoke

Tomah5139
07-24-2013, 09:23 AM
This weekend I will try smoking the butt until I wrap it. I will still use the apple wood. Will see how the flavor is. Thanks for all your help guys. I will post next week and this and let you guys know.

DownHomeQue
07-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Smoked it for the first 2 hours?? and then what happened? LOL definitely put at least 6 hours of smoke.. but i would mix the chunks in sounds like you are using a uds type cooker.. mix the chunks throughout your charcoal. that way you smoke the whole time.. Not just the first 2 hours.. :biggrin1:

DownHomeQue
07-24-2013, 10:31 AM
on my stickburner i consistently get moist juicy butt with a 1/2 inch smoke ring using straight logs.. the whole time no foil.. only a little charcoal to start her.. get great smoky flavor..

YetiDave
07-24-2013, 10:34 AM
I have heard on numerous occasions that after a protein gets to 140*is stops absorbing smoke

I have friends who cooked a butt in an oven overnight until it was basically done and then they smoked it. Believe me, it will carry on absorbing smoke :thumb: although it doesn't taste as good...

Tomah5139
07-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Im using a WSM. I never thought about putting the chunks in the coal in different layers. That way I don't have to keep opening the smoker to add wood. Thanks for that tip.

oldbill
07-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Yeah, the rule of thumb is about three hours or so.

DownHomeQue
07-24-2013, 12:21 PM
larger pieces of meat definitly take in a lot more smoke flavor past 3 hours in my experiences.. Briskets and butts especially..

oldbill
07-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Smoked a Butt on Saturday. Didn't feel it had a great smoke taste. I did use apple wood. Smoked it for the first two hours.

I guess my question is should I abandon the Apple wood with the Butt and use Hickory or should I just add more chunks in the smoker?

I know it all has to do with personal taste but maybe I just need to go with something a little heavier.

Any thoughts?
You may want to make sure and keep the meat moist while smoking by adding a water pan or spritzing. Here's a link to an article that talks at length on the subject of how smoke is more attracted to wet and cold surfaces. Scroll down to the part that says "Smoke And Food". http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

Tomah5139
07-24-2013, 12:29 PM
I usually put water in the pan and spray with apple cider vinegar/juice combo. I have never had a problem with the moisture. Just the smoke.

oldbill
07-24-2013, 12:33 PM
larger pieces of meat definitly take in a lot more smoke flavor past 3 hours in my experiences.. Briskets and butts especially..
Here's a snip-it of an article on the subject of smoke penetration, it's almost entirely on the surface of the meat. This proves the importance of getting a good bark, it's the flavor of the Q! Here's a link to the full article... http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html
Smoke flavor is almost all on the surface of the food

As we see, smoke particles glom onto the surface of foods. There they may dissolve and penetrate a bit below the surface but not very far. Rarely more than 1/8". This is the same phenomenon with marinades (http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zesty_seafood_rub.html) and brines (http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zen_of_brines.html). Meats, especially, are hard to penetrate. Don't believe me? Here's how to prove it to yourself. Get a nice thick piece of meat, at least 1" thick, like a cross section of pork loin or a brisket or pot roast. Smoke the heck out of it at 225°F until it is 190°F to 200°F internal temp. Let it cool a bit and taste it. Yummmmmm! Smoky! Now cut off the surface and edges in 1/8" thick slices. Make sure the center meat doesn't get to roll around on the cutting board in the juices from the surface. Now taste the center. No smoke!

Persing800
07-24-2013, 12:40 PM
ya like 2 1/2 hrours right

oldbill
07-24-2013, 01:04 PM
ya like 2 1/2 hrours right
I usually put about three to four hours of smoke on and then I'm shooting for bark and color. If the meat is the color that I want after three hours or so I'll go ahead and wrap it in butcher paper and finish the cook that way. I usually wrap my brisket when it reaches about 160 internal temp, (if the color is right) and the wrap helps to get through the stall as well as keeping the meat moist.

DownHomeQue
07-24-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm just speaking from my experience.. I know good and well meat takes smoke to some degree way past 140..

DownHomeQue
07-24-2013, 01:40 PM
I have uncles that cook chicken in the oven then smoke it for 2 hours and then eat it.. it is fully cooked when i comes out of the oven.. they smoke it for flavor.. (This is crazy to me too) and then sauce and eat.. they get robust smoke flavor using hickory chunks. and that chicken is well past 165. I'm just saying

Tomah5139
07-24-2013, 05:23 PM
The funny thing is I smoked my butt for at least 2 hours and I feel it had no smoke taste at all (using Apple wood). I was thinking about trying Hickory and smoking it until I wrap it. I also thought that the technique that was suggested to me earlier about layering the chunks in the charcoal was a good idea.

I read somewhere that up to 16oz of hickory would be ok for a single smoke. I have only smoked about 6 butts total but was so disappointed because my last one was the worst.

This is what makes it so much fun.

ChickenWang
07-24-2013, 08:58 PM
on my stickburner i consistently get moist juicy butt with a 1/2 inch smoke ring using straight logs.. the whole time no foil.. only a little charcoal to start her.. get great smoky flavor..

Same here, I smoke the entire cook with great results.