PDA

View Full Version : Results from my "Big Cook"

Uncle JJ
07-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Last Friday, I put 2 butts on my 26er kettle. Cooked around 9 hours at 265ish over lump + cherry. I had a loaf pan with water over the coals. I injected one of them with Butcher BBQinjection. Both came out good. I didn't love the injection flavor, but it was a bit more juicy. May try AJ + salt + rub next time.

Sat 4 am I put on a 15 lb packer. I had injected with Butcher BBQ and let it sit overnight. Also 265ish but with lump, pecan, hickory. It took 10 hours to get to 190*. In fact, the flat was about 180* then. It probed soft in most places but still a bit firm on parts of the flat. I wrapped it in foil and put it back on for 1 1/2 hours - 200*. It probed tender all over, and I was feeling like a champ (this was my first brisket).

I kept it in foil, wrapped in a towel and put it in the cooler so I could cook ribs. (it stayed there for 4 hours).

My ribs were the best I've ever done. 3 slabs of St Louis with rub. 265* in rib rack for 3 hours. Foiled with some butter, syrup, other goo, and cooked for 1 hour. Out of the foil and glazed with mix of BBQ sauce & honey. Perfect pull, color, and taste. I was jacked up.

Then I took out the brisket, and it had good bend - seemed fine. I sliced the brisket. It reminded me of the turkey on Nat'l Lampoons X-mas Vacation. Dry as a bone. I sauced it with broth, which helped a little. People liked it, because it tasted good, but I was disgusted with the dryness. Not sure what happened there, but I'll keep trying.

Thanks for reading - comments welcome (especially on the brisket)!

aawa
07-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Did you vent the brisket before you tucked it away in the cooler? If you didn't vent it, the brisket kept cooking and dried out on you.

Before resting a brisket for that long, make sure you vent the brisket for at least 15 mins to let it come down in temperature and then re-wrap and put it in the cooler to hold the lower temp.

The Pig's Blanket
07-23-2013, 09:09 PM
plus one on venting first...stop the cooking

IamMadMan
07-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Did you vent the brisket before you tucked it away in the cooler? If you didn't vent it, the brisket kept cooking and dried out on you.

+1 ..... as above

cameraman
07-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Well it tasted good and folks liked it. You're ahead of the game on a first brisket for sure. Good report.

TheBourbonBear
07-23-2013, 09:55 PM
+1 ..... as above

Definitely agree here. 4 hours wrapped in a cooler is a long time to sit period, let alone without somewhere for the steam/heat to vent

Uncle JJ
07-24-2013, 07:59 AM
I did not vent the thing. Damn - one minor detail jacked the whole cook!

Thanks, fellas.

(and Roll Tide, BourbonBear!)