PDA

View Full Version : Guru question

TheBill
07-22-2013, 09:35 PM
I have a yoder whichita. Under the cooker, there is 1" (outside dimension) square pipe going into the base of the firebox. This is to provide just a bit of air into the firebox regardless of what the dampers are set at.

I want to get a guru and somehow create an attachment from the round guru adapter to the 1" square pipe. At that point I want to run another 1" square pipe through the length of the firebox with holes drilled in it to let the air from the guru out straight up into the fire (the end of the square pipe would be plugged up).

I want to do this so that I don't have to drill a big hole in my smoker door...

So my questions are this:

1. Do you think this is a stupid idea?
2. Any ideas on what/how to connect the 13/8" guru attachment to the 1" square pipe?
3. If anyone that has a whichita that can comment one the guru and placement, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

I don't know how to weld, but have a neighbor who can.

Any advice would be appreciated.

THANKS,
Bill

IamMadMan
07-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Adapters (http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/catalog2.asp?catalog=Fans%20and%20Adaptors%20by%20 Component)

TheBill
07-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Right, but each is round...any thoughts on fabbing that to on into a 1" square pipe?

NorthernMN
07-23-2013, 07:32 AM
TheBill

I dont have my Wichita yet but I am hoping it ships late this week or next once all the mods are done to it and I have been looking at adding a guru and was faced with the same issues you. What I plan to do is make a peice of steel that replaces the butterfly opening, since it bolts on you can use it when you want to and then put it back to normal. I plan to use a peice of cardboard to make a pattern for the curve of the top and bottom and then cut it out of steel. You probably have a fabrication shop around your area that could do the same for a reasonable price.

TheBill
07-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Just talked to joe at yoder, really nice guy.

He recommends cutting a hole under the damper (below grate level) for the guru.

I wanted him to basically get me a new damper that is solid with only the guru hole in it.

They are also doing a basket for me...

Pm me if you want additional details.